Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Thinking about buying a BMW as a daily

Old 02-10-2019, 05:12 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Do yourself a favor, lease the BMW. BMWs are not built for the used market, they are built to last through their warantee period if that.

I had a similar thought, bought the beemer, sold it because the headache was too great, and bought an S.

Old 02-11-2019, 03:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’m possibly qualified to speak on the topic. After having a child in 2016, I sold my S2000 in favor of a 4-seat convertible that we could enjoy as a family. After test drives and some research, I decided to get a BMW 128i with a manual and m-sport package (among other options). It has the N52 engine, which I understand is pretty reliable, though I have not put enough miles on it to confirm here. In addition, I like this car because parts are plentiful (due to sharing with e9x platform) and they have depreciated like crazy so they are pretty affordable for what you get, IMO.
Old 02-12-2019, 06:50 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

The 128 (or 328) commonly has issues with the oil pan gasket, which is a $600-$1000 fix at a dealership/shop. Typically happens around the 7-year mark. AWD models are more difficult to change than RWD models, apparently.

Other than that, you might deal with oil filter housing gasket issues, which is a $30 part and a fairly simple DIY (filling the coolant and bleeding it would be the most complex part).

Valve cover leaks are also common.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:42 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by HawkeyeGeoff
+1 on that. N54/N55 is just fantastic for a street car. Nothing really compares for the money as of 2019.
How are they reliability wise, so they sorted out the HPFP's and other fuel issues? A 335 would be nice but it's hard to justify for me over the NA version for just putzing around. Do the turbos need to be replaced after some time?
Old 02-12-2019, 12:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JonBoy
The 128 (or 328) commonly has issues with the oil pan gasket, which is a $600-$1000 fix at a dealership/shop. Typically happens around the 7-year mark. AWD models are more difficult to change than RWD models, apparently.

Other than that, you might deal with oil filter housing gasket issues, which is a $30 part and a fairly simple DIY (filling the coolant and bleeding it would be the most complex part).

Valve cover leaks are also common.
Yep. It seems that oil pan gaskets must start to go around the 7 year mark (for N52s and N54/55s), as I’ve noticed that topic popping up lately. For all 3 engines, it seems water pumps (along with the OFHG previously mentioned) remain items where it’s not a matter of if, but when, they will fail. With all that said, I’m not aware of a problem that will cause catastrophic damage like a bad IMS (for Porsche) or VANOS (for BMW), which is a major plus in my book.
Old 02-14-2019, 04:32 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullwings
Person A = makes 8 figure salary per year and owns 12 different cars and pays people to maintain them

Person B = makes low 6 figure salary and maintains an older manual pickup truck, mini-van, and mid-sized sedan himself

who is the "car enthusiast"?

really wrenching =/= simple
clutch job = simple
clutch job = really wrenching

one of these is not true...
Low 6 figures and you can only buy that?! Either person B mismanaged their $ something awful or the cost of living is insane where they live. Low 6 figures can get you some damn nice stuff around here!

As for the E90, go for it! I have a 328i M-sport as a daily and love it!
Old 02-19-2019, 03:16 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

My 328xi was running solid until it cracked 140k. Then two random things have happened. It's developed a stumble on cold start up and the TPMS relay is failing. These probably aren't BMW part issues but their suppliers. These are not major issues just minor matters that my other cars haven't had.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:22 AM

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

I had a N54 135i and grew not to love it. I got an intake, intercooler and Cobb tube. It was an absolute torque monster and that was fun until it wasn’t. The problem is I don’t really have roads that can take advantage of all that power so it just felt like a lion in a cage. Shifting isn’t that much fun because there is so much torque that in practical terms you can be two or theee gears away from optimal but it doesn’t matter. Want to pass on the highway? 6th gear is fine. There’s no involvement. The inline 6 is smooth and luxurious but doesn’t give much sense of speed. I’d prefer an E46 M3 which has much more usable power, more involving and is a better handling car besides.

As as others have said, if you can’t get enough torque, have willingness and ability to wrench, then an N54 car makes sense. Good luck in your search.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:03 PM

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by bgoetz

Low 6 figures and you can only buy that?! Either person B mismanaged their $ something awful or the cost of living is insane where they live. Low 6 figures can get you some damn nice stuff around here!

As for the E90, go for it! I have a 328i M-sport as a daily and love it!
There is a difference between can and should. I can and did buy an $80k car, but probably shouldn't have. It's easy for those of us who are single, but think of trying to raise a family on $120k/yr gross income. It could be done, but I wouldn't want to do it.

Once again I will steer clear of a used BMW after reading this thread. I can probably do most of the work myself, but don't want to spend what little free time I have wrenching when I could be driving or riding instead. I realize this more and more as I get older.
Old 02-25-2019, 05:03 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by rwheelz
There is a difference between can and should. I can and did buy an $80k car, but probably shouldn't have. It's easy for those of us who are single, but think of trying to raise a family on $120k/yr gross income. It could be done, but I wouldn't want to do it.

Once again I will steer clear of a used BMW after reading this thread. I can probably do most of the work myself, but don't want to spend what little free time I have wrenching when I could be driving or riding instead. I realize this more and more as I get older.
IDK if I would steer clear of a used BMW, I personally don’t think you will find a better car as a daily driver for the price. For $15-20k you can have an E90 M-sport 335 that looks great, feels great, and is super quick for what it is. My daily is an E90 328 M-sport, I also have a 997 C2S and a track built S2k. I smile every day I drive the 328, the car has been a great car to own. More expensive to maintain that an Accord sure, but well worth it.

Quick Reply: Thinking about buying a BMW as a daily