Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Thinking about selling the s2000 for a GTR

Old 05-12-2015, 01:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thinking about selling the s2000 for a GTR

Kinda wanted some feedback from more of a s2000 community...
quick summary...
I own a ap1 s2000 tons of modifications 2 resprays tons of wheels ect.
Have probally at least 25k in part resell value . and a super clean decent mileage AP1
just deciding if i want to continue dumping money into it (5 years of ownership)
Or own a car i need to modify less...

R35 or a 911 carrera S 6 speed

Would put alot of cash down from the S and finance the rest.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was kinda in the same boat. At the time my ap2 was lightly modded and it was either boost it or use that money and sell my ap2 for something else. I can't speak on the other cars you listed but a big factor was the maintenance costs for the gtr. That was just something I did not want to pay for.
Old 05-12-2015, 02:22 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Are you looking to finance 40k??
Take a look at the cost of the rotors for the GTR
http://parts.nissanusa.com/nissanpar...partcode=40207
20" tire costs....nope!
Old 05-12-2015, 02:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a 911 S and would recommend that over the GTR. The maintenance costs seem to be lower and for me it has been an exceptionally reliable car as well. It is also plenty exciting to drive and the noise from a NA flat 6 sounds absolutely fantastic.
Old 05-12-2015, 02:46 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sillyboybmxer
Are you looking to finance 40k??
Take a look at the cost of the rotors for the GTR
http://parts.nissanu...&partcode=40207
20" tire costs....nope!
How often do you go through rotors though? Unless you're tracking heavily, probably not often - if even at all.

As for the tires, it's the cost of doing business. Ditto on the gas costs. If you're looking for a cheap supercar, you're in the wrong business.
Old 05-12-2015, 02:50 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by profit_child
Kinda wanted some feedback from more of a s2000 community...
quick summary...
I own a ap1 s2000 tons of modifications 2 resprays tons of wheels ect.
Have probally at least 25k in part resell value . and a super clean decent mileage AP1
just deciding if i want to continue dumping money into it (5 years of ownership)
Or own a car i need to modify less...

R35 or a 911 carrera S 6 speed

Would put alot of cash down from the S and finance the rest.
The R35 will be faster, but the Carrera S will probably be more fun to drive and hold it's value better over the long term. These are two very different cars with different philosophies on driving, that's for sure.

Also, 25K in S2000 parts is a LOT of parts, the resale market on parts for this car is complete crap and only getting worse with time. Good luck with your sale.
Old 05-12-2015, 03:32 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

No, the s2000 is a much better car, it handles better, has the best shifter feel, beats the pants off of a brz, has top down fun, made by honda, honda reliable, cheap to maintain, outsold the gtr, they dont make any more of them, gets better gas mileage, revs to 9k from a 4 cylinder, has vtec yo.

Honestly, unless you have a very specific need for this spot in your garage (strictly track, strictly show, strictly DD, etc) then comparing these two cars is just ridiculous, the only real question is can you comfortably afford it? It's like me asking hey guys should I buy a Viper over an s2000. Hey guys, should I trade my 911 for a bugatti veyron? No question which car people would prefer if money isn't the issue sans a few outliers.
Old 05-12-2015, 04:46 PM

Thanks all you fellas for the feedback... why i more so go to forums then asking my friends and family lol. they hear GTR, and look at me crazy but they just don't get it...
more background to maybe help with advice..
I just turned 25 yrs old I make about 70k a year i graduated UCF i have minimal debt. (girlfriend makes a solid 35k)
I have cash to buy a house but waiting for my girlfriend to finish her current lease (correction i forgot Im engaged)
I daily a IS350 06 has a lot of miles but runs great so i'l probably keep it till it belly flops. so miles on whatever weekend car i get is minimal (i put 2000 miles on my S in 2014 )
I have NEVER had any problems selling parts for the S people say the market is dying... i felt it nor do i buy parts that aren't a good deal

as for resell parts I own just off the top of my head..
full sheepy kit 6262 with all the supporting mods
2 sets of VOLKS both rare sets and concave
new set of JS racing big brake kit front and rear
OEM hard top, Cusco cage, bride seats.
VOLTEX race front bumper, ASM rear bumper,
JS front fenders, ASM rear Fenders (most of these parts were for my new build that i haven't started been back and forth.)
Worksbell setup Js wheels Js suspension goodies J's steering wheel JS type 2 1700mm wing TI stands,
OHLIN coil overs carshop glow tail lights ECT... ECT...
I mean i have a bad f@#king! habit (addiction) on modifying and collecting rare parts Oh yeah double sided js carbon hood only 1 made.
I would say at least 25k

as for my car its a SSM AP1 (converted everything to AP2) with 88k miles.

My plan would be to sell all the stuff i have collected put car back to stock and sell it. and source out a new car that i would enjoy and wouldnt have to modify to this extent.. far as insurance my father works for all state for 25 years and i pay about half what everyone does.

Here are some more pictures to see what im working with...

Old 05-12-2015, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
No, the s2000 is a much better car, it handles better, has the best shifter feel, beats the pants off of a brz, has top down fun, made by honda, honda reliable, cheap to maintain, outsold the gtr, they dont make any more of them, gets better gas mileage, revs to 9k from a 4 cylinder, has vtec yo.

Honestly, unless you have a very specific need for this spot in your garage (strictly track, strictly show, strictly DD, etc) then comparing these two cars is just ridiculous, the only real question is can you comfortably afford it? It's like me asking hey guys should I buy a Viper over an s2000. Hey guys, should I trade my 911 for a bugatti veyron? No question which car people would prefer if money isn't the issue sans a few outliers.
I hear yah, as far as the comparisons not so much... as far as owning an s2000 its been great ive owned it for 5+ years and had great fun with it... the only next step up would be a used 09-10 GTR or 997 911 those are the really only options i would only get rid of the S for...

GTR i love everything besides the fact it doesn't come manual
The 911 i will always love slap a GT3 bumper and a cage and some ccws and a loud exhaust you would have to pry me out...

I would find a 911 that i would buy around 45-50k and a GTR for about 60-65k
Old 05-12-2015, 05:08 PM

Been eyeing this 2011 GTR with only 10k miles that they would sell for 66k including tax tag and title http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nissan-GT-R-...m=121644601911

Quick Reply: Thinking about selling the s2000 for a GTR