Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Thoughts on the Lexus IS-F?

Old 06-27-2012, 01:39 PM
vbb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on the Lexus IS-F?

I know a few people on these board have experience with owning or driving the IS-F. What are some of your thoughts? I'm looking at a 2011 version, where the suspension updates made the ride less harsh and faster on a track (if that's your thing).

I'm lazily shopping for my next car, targeting a purchase in 2013. I have 2 kids now, vs. 0 when I got my S2K (though the wife was pregnant and STILL let me get the S, definitely a keeper) and the frequency at which I can find the time to drive my S2000 has dwindled in to almost nothing. Less than 6K miles in the last three years to be exact. I drive my TSX 90% of the time because it is far more convenient to commute in, and it has room for when I do need to haul the kids, take the coworkers around, etc. The problem with this is that it is quite a boring drive (though I love the interior). So I'm looking for my next car to be something that can combine what I like about the S2K (fun, quick, sporty) with what I like about the TSX (heated seats, bluetooth, comfortable), and I'm looking to spend less than $50K. While I know I can still have two cars for that price range, or just keep what I have, the more I've thought about it, the more I want one car that I can enjoy all the time rather than spending money on something that sits in the garage 6 days a week.

Since I'm not going to purchase til next year, I've been spending a lot of time kicking around all sorts of different options. Right now a gently used M3 sedan is the leader in the clubhouse for me, but I'm a little nervous about owning a BMW out of warranty. If I get a 2010-11 in 2013 I'll have a couple of years of factory warranty left, and then I'll be either forced to extend it for $$$ or I'll have to buy a CPO which the dealers try to bend people over backwards on.

Before kids, my wife drove an IS250 and I had a BMW 335i, so I have some experience with the baby models of the IS-F and M3. Our Lexus was better on the interior, gas mileage, layout, and reliability and the BMW had the driving feel, speed, and looks. Apparently the 2011+ IS-Fs are much better than the earlier ones though, and it now runs neck and neck with the M3 in most objective tests. I kinda like Lexus/Toyota reliability for a car I'm going to daily and have out of warranty... but the M3 is well, an M3. So, thoughts?
Old 06-27-2012, 01:55 PM

I would buy and is350 - I like the standard styling more and the price is much less without a massive drop off in performance - there are people with bolt ons and tuning that are getting the IS-F's performance without the ugly body work and bloated price.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:20 PM

depends on how much room you need. I found both the IS-F and the M3 pretty tight on rear seat space.

Is manual transmission a priority?

How about gas mileage?

Handling prowess?
Old 06-27-2012, 02:25 PM

how about CPO audi s4? if not i would go with CPO m3. i just dont like the look of is-f. that's all.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:35 PM

The latest iteration of the IS-F put down some serious numbers at its last appearance in the CD Lighting Lap. But since you can't get an MT, I would never buy it.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:19 PM

Received 411 Likes on 237 Posts

Sooo new cts-v?
Old 06-27-2012, 03:19 PM

How about a G8 GXP. And if you ever have any issues, you just pop right into your nearest Pontiac dealership
Old 06-27-2012, 04:00 PM
vbb

Originally Posted by Anrosphynx
depends on how much room you need. I found both the IS-F and the M3 pretty tight on rear seat space.

Is manual transmission a priority?

How about gas mileage?

Handling prowess?
Actually, manual transmission is NOT a priority. I don't enjoy rowing gears in a car that I'm stuck in stop and go traffic, and since this will be a commuter/daily driver for me I'll be just fine with something that has an automatic mode. My 335i was an auto with paddles and though no manual, it was fine.

Originally Posted by Gigdy
Sooo new cts-v?
I'd consider it.

Originally Posted by In The Year S2000
How about a G8 GXP. And if you ever have any issues, you just pop right into your nearest Pontiac dealership
Meh. I know what the GXP is capable of, but I am just not a Pontiac fan. Plus there's a Lexus dealership and a Toyota dealership closer to my house than a Pontiac dealership if that is an issue.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:05 PM

I love my 2008 IS-F, but be warned that to get a rear facing car seat to fit in the back requires moving the front seat up quite a bit. My wife's knees nearly hit the glovebox to get the car seat in.

The only things I would change would be the ride quality (I have a 2008), the rear legroom, and I would also like a bench in the back. So far car is at 58k miles. Water pump replaced under warranty (was leaking, did not strand me), one headlight went out, and brakes/rotors just about in need of 2nd replacement. Pretty good track record for a car of that performance level when compared to the competition, all while getting ~22-23 MPG.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:31 PM

In for more info too.

I am looking at M3, B8 S4 and the Is-F too. I like the idea of Toyota reliability as well German cars scare me in that sense.
Not financially per se but I just hate when shit breaks.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the Lexus IS-F?