Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Trade My Cooper S for an S2k

Old 05-28-2007, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trade My Cooper S for an S2k

I got my MINI back in January. It's a 2004 and had 13K on it when I picked it up. It now has 23K on it.

Now my dilemma is that I love the Cooper, but it just isn't the "right" car for me. The S2000 caught my eye and has some similar traits (Handling, Small, Impractical). It would be my all year car too.

My car is worth about $21K private party and $19.5 for trade in. What I'm trying to figure out is if I should go through the hassle. I know it'll take a lot of talking to my parents about too. I pay for my car myself, but they still have a voice in the matter.

Will a dealership do a straight up trade for my MINI? I'm going to the Dealer on Tuesday to test drive an 07' and an 02'. I've got an idea of what I need to look at and I'm no amateur to cars (MINI is my 4th).

What are your guys' opinions or thoughts?
Old 05-28-2007, 05:49 PM

do it!
Old 05-28-2007, 05:52 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Hubbard 0,May 28 2007, 05:42 PM
I got my MINI back in January. It's a 2004 and had 13K on it when I picked it up. It now has 23K on it.

Now my dilemma is that I love the Cooper, but it just isn't the "right" car for me. The S2000 caught my eye and has some similar traits (Handling, Small, Impractical). It would be my all year car too.

My car is worth about $21K private party and $19.5 for trade in. What I'm trying to figure out is if I should go through the hassle. I know it'll take a lot of talking to my parents about too. I pay for my car myself, but they still have a voice in the matter.

Will a dealership do a straight up trade for my MINI? I'm going to the Dealer on Tuesday to test drive an 07' and an 02'. I've got an idea of what I need to look at and I'm no amateur to cars (MINI is my 4th).

What are your guys' opinions or thoughts?
The one thing that may help: In some states trading in a car means you don't pay tax on that amount when you put it towards your new car. That can be ~$1500-$2500 right there.

And "paying for your car yourself" is only a point of bragging if your parents don't pay for your housing and food....

Just kidding... sort of....
Old 05-28-2007, 06:00 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would like a MINI for a DD. MINI S convertable!!!!
Old 05-28-2007, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by CKit,May 28 2007, 05:52 PM
The one thing that may help: In some states trading in a car means you don't pay tax on that amount when you put it towards your new car. That can be ~$1500-$2500 right there.

And "paying for your car yourself" is only a point of bragging if your parents don't pay for your housing and food....

Just kidding... sort of....
well they only do that sometimes when I come home, so i'm alright...?

And I remember just reading about the trade in part, could have even been on this site. But I won't be able to spend any more than what I can get for my car as is.

So another question is, how impractical will it be for me to have a 2 seater convertible while in college? I rarely have more than 1 passenger as is and an excuse to not drive tons of people would be nice. The only time I ever need a lot of storage is moving my stuff to and from school, but I can borrow the truck for that.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:21 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd keep the Mini for college.

Spend your time hanging out with friends, drinking beer, and studying. You don't want to stress about slashed tops, $150 tires that only last 15k miles, blown engines, etc....
Old 05-28-2007, 08:33 PM

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

I think college girls like Mini more than an S2000
Old 05-28-2007, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by S2020,May 28 2007, 08:33 PM
I think college girls like Mini more than an S2000
Only problem with that is there are barely any girls in the first place.

One of the downsides to an engineering school.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:51 PM

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

ah... No problem. You have to take humanity courses right? Ask them to "help" you b/c you have "never been good with this liberal arts stuff".
Old 05-28-2007, 08:59 PM

I agree with CKit. But I can't imagine a Cooper S parts being less expensive than that of a S2k. When trading in your car expect to get around KBB's "Good" trade in value for it. Anyhow here is what I see the Cooper S having that the S2K doesn't:

-4 seats, with the two front more spacious than S2K
-Real cargo space (very handy when moving stuff)
-Better sound system
-Lower weight
-Better gas mileage

And like the S2K:
-The Cooper S has very capable handling characteristics

I'd keep the Cooper!

Does this make me a hypocrite since I have a S and a college student? Yes!!!! But my previous car was a 2003 Accord Coupe V-6, and I wanted a car to enjoy the mountains in this area. I narrowed it down to the following 3 cars:

-Honda S2000
-Mazda MazdaSpeed 3
-Mini Cooper S

Chose the S2K because:
-Wanted rear wheel drive car for once in my life
-Wanted convertible to enjoy the open air
-Wanted a engine that is easy to maintain my self (the MazdaSpeed 3 and Cooper's engine bay is very cramped and cluttered at first glance)
-MazdaSpeed 3 was too new at the time
-Had a feeling BMW service and parts are going to be more expensive than Honda's

But in the end its your life and money, I just encourage you to spend both responsibly.

Quick Reply: Trade My Cooper S for an S2k