Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

For US people, what are the cars you want but not for sell in the States?

Old 01-23-2002, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info!!!

Phi
Old 01-23-2002, 07:16 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mikey
[B]
Most of the anti-grey market legislation (EPA and NHSTA regs) was passed during the Regan and Bush admins and was repealed during the Clinton admin.
Old 01-23-2002, 08:06 PM

Exactly. If you are a adult and you want to ride without a helmet, that's fine with me, just sign this slip saying that hospital's don't have to care for you if you hurt yourself and are uninsured. You wanna drive a car with no bumpers and no crash tests, fine with me if you die (in fact it's your right to kill yourself because of your poor choices), just sign this sheet of paper acknowledging you understand the risks. That way I can have my M3 CSL and some scared mother can still drive her saturn or SUV or whatever kind of tank she wants. But this will never happen that I can see because America is more socalist then we like to admit.

Drew
Old 01-23-2002, 08:53 PM

Killer airbags? Huh? The only people airbags kill are idiots that refuse to wear seatbelts. Airbags are "supplemental restraints", not primary. And for those that refuse to wear seatbelts in cars with or without airbags, I say let Darwin do his work.

My point is that there was still a viable grey market until the mid 80's. Blame the trial lawyers if you like, you'll get no complaint from me. But the grey market was killed off during the mid 80's (republican administrations) and reopened only 2 years ago (during the Clinton administration). That's the facts.
Old 01-24-2002, 04:00 AM

Go Mikey! Amen on that airbag comment!
Old 01-24-2002, 04:38 AM

[B]Killer airbags?
Old 01-24-2002, 05:17 AM

Very small people and children can be strangled by standard shoulder belts as well. Sometimes the greater good harms a small proportion of the population, needs of the many and all that...

A safe guess on my part would be that airbags have saved hundreds of lives for every one they've taken. Yes, airbags can injure kids up close, but most of the people killed by them have their heads pressed right up against the bag when it blew. This of course due to their non-seat-belt-wearin' ways. TFB for them, I say.

We all know by now that airbags can be dangerous to small children, thus the warning stickers. Kids go in the back seat and the vast majority of adults get a much safer driving experience. Very small adults have options too, airbag shutoffs are standard on some cars and available in the aftermarket for all.

Some of the injuries are caused by improper driving style. I've personally noticed that some people just sit too damn close to the steering wheel.
Old 01-24-2002, 05:31 AM

[B]Very small people and children can be strangled by standard shoulder belts as well.
Old 01-24-2002, 03:24 PM

S3
That or a nice TVR
Old 01-25-2002, 12:18 AM

Originally posted by AVXs2000

do you mean Clio, this is my favor hatch back other than the Civic Type R

This car looks amazing, but is a bit of a disappointment to drive. I tested one and was really not impressed. Annoying point : when you shift into 3rd, your hand hits the dashboard!

Quick Reply: For US people, what are the cars you want but not for sell in the States?