Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Used car values down, gonna add to the garage?

Old 08-22-2017, 12:24 PM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Ah - I love the look of the Aston Martins. Haven't driven one yet but everytime I see one, I drool.

Good point - no manual in the McLarens at all. My bad.
Was between a Rapide (like the looks, V12 and options, but not a manual) or Vantage V8 and for me the manual won out. The later model year manuals (this one is an '11) should be a good investment. I expect the car to ship out next week and will take some pictures once it arrives.

I go for looks and sensory impact before performance. No one expects to win a race in an Aston (expect at LeMans and like), but it's one the quickest 0 to smile cars out there. I figure the Rapide would be good for my girlfriend when our Jag lease ends.

BTW, the new DB-11 V8 also comes in a manual!
The following 2 users liked this post by mosesbotbol:
JamesD89 (08-22-2017), JonBoy (08-22-2017)
Old 08-22-2017, 11:39 PM

Received 380 Likes on 283 Posts

Negative Ghost Rider.....the pattern is full.

Won't be in the market for 6-7 years and that will be a replacement for the DD.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:06 AM
Community Organizer

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm hoping to pick a 97 Viper GTS in a year or too. If I can find a good deal on one. Most are still being asked too much for IMO.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:16 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Cool article. I like to keep an eye on where the market is trending. I will say there are probably even better deals to be had in the next year or two. Whenever we finally get a recession (should be sooner than later), I expect prices to fall as repos rise and people sell their extra car to get their own personal balance sheet in order. Prices won't dip as low as they did in '09, but I fully expect prices to fall a bit more.

With that in mind, I find myself with less time (and less desire) to buy another "fun car." I don't get to drive my S as much as I'd like, and even when I can, it's usually just for a crappy commute. It's real hard to justify spending a big chunk of money these days on another fun car. Maybe that'll change in the future..
Old 08-23-2017, 09:38 AM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

I plan to keep on with my M3 sedan for the foreseeable future, but I see one of two things happening:

1) Add a reasonably inexpensive "fun car" such as another S2000 or 987.1 Boxster/Cayman S. I miss that light, simple feeling.

2) Once we have a kid (aiming for a year from now) I may realize that the M3 is too small and/or too nice to be the practical family-friendly compromise I had hoped (horrific images of a toddler drawing on the red leather with marker). Not sure at what age that would happen, but I could see it happening at some point. At that point I'd probably get a bigger, more economical daily ('13 Accord Sport 6MT perhaps, or Civic Si/EX-T manual if it's "bigger enough") and a fun weekend car (still want a 997.1 C2S, or C7 or GT350 as the latter two will be cheaper by then).
Old 08-23-2017, 10:54 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by SlowTeg
With that in mind, I find myself with less time (and less desire) to buy another "fun car." I don't get to drive my S as much as I'd like, and even when I can, it's usually just for a crappy commute. It's real hard to justify spending a big chunk of money these days on another fun car. Maybe that'll change in the future..
The reason I am going to look at what is available is that I really don't want to pile daily miles on my Cayman and plan to keep that car for a long time. Probably 20 years at least.

I have another car (the 328i) that is only 32,000 miles, in perfect shape but have driven for four years now and bores me a little to daily because it is an auto and has the squishy AWD suspension. Because of the depreciation, I could trade it for something and get totally soaked, but have a car that is more fun (think a stick and RWD) but wont be that great in the winter. Or I can keep it as it is paid for, and buy a well depreciated rwd manual as a third vehicle that I can pile miles onto, not care if it gets too beat up and enjoy most days and go to the AWD 328 when the snow is deep and getting deeper.

I plan to look at cars within a 500 mile radius and if I find one I like and come to a purchase agreement, I will drive down with someone with title in hand, and if they give me what I consider fair, it gets traded, if not, I add a third car that is hopefully fun and not too expensive.

As far as having time to enjoy, I just took the day off today at complete random and did 200 miles this morning driving 100 miles down a scenic river and 100 miles back up the other side just listening to the radio and enjoying a car I have not had much time to enjoy. It was totally worth it and the best day I have had in a few weeks. Very relaxing. I was only a total show off dick like just once the whole drive.

Last edited by vader1; 08-23-2017 at 10:57 AM.
Old 08-23-2017, 01:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ive been noticing this too the only issue is whatever cheap car I get will most likely get even cheaper down the road too My C6Z was picked up for a good price but has since dropped even more too. Meh still gonna add a few cars to the garage LOL
Old 08-24-2017, 08:06 AM

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

I would love to find a steal on a C6Z.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:20 AM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Any particularly good bargains out there?
Old 08-24-2017, 09:06 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
Any particularly good bargains out there?
2014+ Maserati Qporte's are a real bargain. Compared to the Ghibli, they sell nearly the same price used, but there's so much more the Qporte. I like the way the Ghibli drive's better, but and details are Qporte are better. Friend was looking at both and got me thinking for a sweet family car. The lease returns are showing up. That being said, the Maserati dealers are getting the best ones and then the big user car dealers are buying the rest at auction. Can only imagine how great of a deal if you went to the auction bought one!

Quick Reply: Used car values down, gonna add to the garage?