Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Viper is not the car I thought it was

Old 04-17-2012, 07:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rosario717
The owner of my dealership who just turned 82 has a zr1,maybach,and had a viper.. He never let me drive these cars but took me for a spin in the vette and the viper.. My childhood dream car became a total POS which was the viper compared to the zr1.. I dont like domestic cars at all but the vette was sooo much more refined,nimble,fit n finish was better,can be daily driven, even mpgs were great lol and with similiar power felt faster to me.. I also met a car collector years ago that brought around a hennessy viper which was insane as well but he agreed it was a pos as well lol its just a cool car to look at and drive on occasion if it doesnt kill you first since handling wasnt part of plan when it was built lol
The guy I bought my car from had a Zr1, and two vipers. The non-acr was his wife's. The ZR1 was a handful on the track compared to the ACR in is opinion. He was faster and felt more confident in the viper. The ACR really comes alive on a track where the road is smooth for sure. If you think vipers can't handle...well you have never been on a track with one driven properly. I agree on the refinement thing, but as far as handling goes it has better weight balance then the vette and handles as well or better. The new one should handle the refinement issue...
Old 04-18-2012, 12:00 AM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

this is the only time i can hear my viper.. and i do the same downshift to 1st and burble into my driveway too... must be a viper thing.

Originally Posted by Carbon Blue
I love vipers, my next door neighbor has one and I cant stop drooling whenever I hear him downshift into the neighborhood, the burbling it makes entering the driveway is to die for.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:16 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Can't... take it... any... more...

Originally Posted by s2kpdx01
My 08 is quieter then my s2000 ever was,
My car has more miles then that...
...tough to compare a car that costs 40-100k less then the porsche...
it has better weight balance then the vette
Old 04-18-2012, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by s2kpdx01
Originally Posted by rosario717' timestamp='1334721072' post='21618348
The owner of my dealership who just turned 82 has a zr1,maybach,and had a viper.. He never let me drive these cars but took me for a spin in the vette and the viper.. My childhood dream car became a total POS which was the viper compared to the zr1.. I dont like domestic cars at all but the vette was sooo much more refined,nimble,fit n finish was better,can be daily driven, even mpgs were great lol and with similiar power felt faster to me.. I also met a car collector years ago that brought around a hennessy viper which was insane as well but he agreed it was a pos as well lol its just a cool car to look at and drive on occasion if it doesnt kill you first since handling wasnt part of plan when it was built lol
The guy I bought my car from had a Zr1, and two vipers. The non-acr was his wife's. The ZR1 was a handful on the track compared to the ACR in is opinion. He was faster and felt more confident in the viper. The ACR really comes alive on a track where the road is smooth for sure. If you think vipers can't handle...well you have never been on a track with one driven properly. I agree on the refinement thing, but as far as handling goes it has better weight balance then the vette and handles as well or better. The new one should handle the refinement issue...
No doubt the ACR is much better than a ZR1 on the track. The ACR is like a Porsche GT3RS (track car) and the ZR1 is like a Porsche Turbo S (high end sports car).
Old 04-18-2012, 04:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Then than. lol. And this literally ruined my mood to hear that the Viper disappointed anyone in any way at all ever.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The verdict is in on the diffy. The spider gears basically exploded, the metal shavings have ruined the ring and pinion as well. Gonna cost the poor guy about 2800$ to fix, as I've got to replace the entire chunk. Dodge has redesigned this particular diffy so it will cost more for the parts to rebuild it than the whole complete unit.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:35 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Somehow learning that a mid 2000s Dodge product is a POS doesn't surprise me. I'd buy a Kia before I bought anything from Dodge/Chrysler made before 2010.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Modern cars with that much torque and power with big sticky tires tend to self destruct a little bit everytime you drive it.

And that is why ALL VIPERS ARE AWESOME.

For all their shortcomings and limitations, the fact that a person will put up with it is a testament to its awesomeness. People with classic musclecars get it, if you don't get it, then there are plenty of other choices like the ghastley Nissan GTR.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:49 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fishfryer
Modern cars with that much torque and power with big sticky tires tend to self destruct a little bit everytime you drive it.

And that is why ALL VIPERS ARE AWESOME.

For all their shortcomings and limitations, the fact that a person will put up with it is a testament to its awesomeness. People with classic musclecars get it, if you don't get it, then there are plenty of other choices like the ghastley Nissan GTR.
Funny how you talk about power with the Viper, then proceed to completely ignore the GTR's performance and pick on it's looks instead. In the same breath you seem to excuse the Viper for it's shoddy build quality. Similarly performing cars - especially at this price level - aren't creaking rattling piles of junk, so there is really no good excuse.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Scot
this is the only time i can hear my viper.. and i do the same downshift to 1st and burble into my driveway too... must be a viper thing.

Originally Posted by Carbon Blue' timestamp='1334718329' post='21618253
I love vipers, my next door neighbor has one and I cant stop drooling whenever I hear him downshift into the neighborhood, the burbling it makes entering the driveway is to die for.
If you are going a bit faster and don't rev match into first it will almost backfire a little. Pretty sweet.

Quick Reply: Viper is not the car I thought it was