Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

What happened to the AWD KERS Acura RL!?!?!?!

Old 03-18-2015, 08:08 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

I've been seeing a lot of TLXs around Raleigh. However, they've become harder to spot of late since the redesigned ILX almost looks exactly like the TLX (in my humble opinion). So instead of a simple glance I now have to give every one a hard look to figure out which model it is. Just like with Audi's A3 and A4.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:30 AM

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
I've been seeing a lot of TLXs around Raleigh. However, they've become harder to spot of late since the redesigned ILX almost looks exactly like the TLX (in my humble opinion). So instead of a simple glance I now have to give every one a hard look to figure out which model it is. Just like with Audi's A3 and A4.

I seriously just now realized that A3s were a thing. I'll be damned.
Old 03-18-2015, 02:53 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I have the Hybrid SH-AWD RLX here in my dealer showroom. Been sitting there for I'm guessing 3-4 months now. I think maybe 3-4 people actually came here to test drive it. Nothing really special about it.
Old 03-18-2015, 05:02 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Acura misses the mark in nearly all their advertising. Have you seen the IDX ads? A joke. I'm not sure the RLX has received much TV air time.
Old 03-18-2015, 05:55 PM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-2
Acura misses the mark in nearly all their advertising. Have you seen the IDX ads? A joke. I'm not sure the RLX has received much TV air time.
They have ILX ads. They have MDX ads. They have RLX ads. They have RDX ads. They have TLX ads. They don't have IDX ads, so I guess the joke's on you.

(P.S. Yes, I know you meant ILX)
Old 03-18-2015, 07:21 PM

Hehe I think if they got the ads right sales would pick up. The RLX is a greAt car
Old 03-20-2015, 09:31 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-2
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol' timestamp='1426618392' post='23543818
70K CDN for a top of the line RL is a hard pill to swallow... I am sure it drives splendid... Krell stereo is cool, but with a vinyl dash at that price is kind of lame. Acura sees the trees, but not the forest. I see plenty of RLX is my area, but Acura has had a good stronghold around Boston since its inception. The local dealer is one of the biggest Acura dealers in the country.
That's only 52k USD....
Still. A. Hard. Pill.
Old 03-21-2015, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by TougeHorseman
Originally Posted by rob-2' timestamp='1426644340' post='23544318
[quote name='mosesbotbol' timestamp='1426618392' post='23543818']
70K CDN for a top of the line RL is a hard pill to swallow... I am sure it drives splendid... Krell stereo is cool, but with a vinyl dash at that price is kind of lame. Acura sees the trees, but not the forest. I see plenty of RLX is my area, but Acura has had a good stronghold around Boston since its inception. The local dealer is one of the biggest Acura dealers in the country.
That's only 52k USD....
Still. A. Hard. Pill.
[/quote]
For you...
Old 03-22-2015, 07:37 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I missed this thread earlier, likely because of the "KERS" terminology.

I think you are referring to the eSH-AWD/Sport Hybrid RLX.

I happen to lease one.

It is a handsome (read: not aggressive)-looking car.
It is incredibly fast. Not CTS-V fast, but faster than it looks. Owners on Acurazine are getting 4.8-5.1 second 0-60--that's faster than a stock S2000.
It is an incredible handler on the road. The best thing about the eSH-AWD is that unlike in the previous RL, the torque vectoring in curves works whether you are on throttle or not. It's a very, very neutral car.
In short, this car defines "sleeper".
Interior is the Spartan look Acura is going for nowadays. I think it looks clean and everything you touch is quality, definitely a step above the TLX.
It is incredibly fun to drive. Mission accomplished, Acura.

Unfortunately, there has been NO advertising whatsoever for the Sport Hybrid in the U.S., ever. When they arrived, the dealers found people who were interested...and tended to charge full price, unlike with the non-hybrid RLX. I, myself, got only a few hundred off list for my lease. So sad! No TV ads, no print ads, no social media, no nothing other than a bunch of Canadian reviews, mostly liking it. In addition, the PAWS RLX poisoned the well in the automotive media, then the Sport Hybrid was released 18 months late. In other words, the launch was botched, likely because of technical issues that have apparently been resolved. We don't know what those technical issues were as they were never announced.

The reason you don't hear much about it is that there are only 250 in the U.S., for 2014. There is no 2015 Sport Hybrid in the U.S., but there is in Canada. A few weeks ago, all mention of the Sport Hybrid was removed from the Acura web site. All mention was also removed from the Acura eStore for accessories. The only place you can find it on the entire U.S. Acura website is in the eStore for parts.

The last mention we have for a U.S. model is Jeff on TOV saying he asked recently, and apparently Acura is planning an announcement for a 2016 Sport Hybrid "at a later date". We don't know what that date is, or what the announcement is.

We few Sport Hybrid owners have postulated that Honda is concentrating on the Honda Legend EX Sport Hybrid (same car) launch in Japan and simply can't produce more cars.

There are a bunch of reviews linked starting on Acurazine: http://acurazine.com/forums/third-ge...875410/page21/

If there is one in your area, drive one. Drive it HARD. You will be shocked, then hooked. I was. Cars.com says there are 73 left of the 250. Being they are 2014s in what is an early 2016 MY for Acura, people should be able to drive them off the lot for a song. Most of the ones available are Tech models (i.e. no ACC/LKAS). Too bad, I have the Advance and the ACC makes driving so easy at the end of a long day.....and at the same time, the dual-clutch transmission and electric motors allow me to stomp the pedal and just go.

This is a fabulous car that will likely die on the vine because of a lack of marketing and a basic lack of units (or at least enough that people can choose colors).

The PAWS RLX, however, was just updated for 2016 with AcuraWatch. They are available now.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:07 AM

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

Damn. Sounds nice.

Quick Reply: What happened to the AWD KERS Acura RL!?!?!?!