Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

What's wrong with the GT-R?

Old 11-07-2007, 09:09 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default What's wrong with the GT-R?

I seem to love the GT-R what I can tell there is a lot to like about it.

-AWD = all weather (may be better for some who live in the snow states like me)
-2+2 (may be better for some) I know my S2000 is limited can't pick up the kids with it. Would be nice to have small seats just in case.
-power/performance (if the numbers are true = 911 turbo acceleration)
-modest price (not cheap but it's cheaper than a 325hp 911)

It seems like it's too good to be true.

I look at it in the same price class as a Z06 or Cayman S or M3

The price is not set yet. But let's say it is in the range of those cars.

Those are some good/great cars to consider, but the GTR (IMO) is not shy about if it belongs in that group.

What's the downside? I mean is this going to be a modern Mitsu 3000GT with much potential but was not quite the legend of it's time?

-Looks? hard to say. Some love some hate. I'm on the fence but for me it's not bad looking (I could put up with it's looks)

-weight? it's reported to be 3800 lbs and that's a fair bit of weight, close to an RS4. I'm hoping it's not that weight but if it is, it is. I mean the 350Z as at 35xx and G37 36xx so I really can imagine this car is heavier than the G37. So long as it can handle it's weight I think it can if the ring times are close to the Z06 (as reported).

-Price? it's not cheap but as I said if it's mid-$60s as reported maybe up to mid-$70s that's what you pay. As I said Cayman S is not any cheaper, Z06 right there.

-competition? I mean you are in this price range you have a lot of cars to look at including 911 on down. Is there too much other cars that we know are going to sell (ie. M3, Z06 those cars are going to sell several thousand per year no matter what) will there be enough money left over for the GTR?

-Brand? It's a Nissan, not a Porsche/BMW/Lexus etc.. some people don't go for big ticket at Nissan (but Chevy and Dodge make the exception maybe the GTR will do OK as well).
Old 11-07-2007, 09:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rai,Nov 7 2007, 01:09 PM

-Brand? It's a Nissan, not a Porsche/BMW/Lexus etc.. some people don't go for big ticket at Nissan (but Chevy and Dodge make the exception maybe the GTR will do OK as well).
i think brand perception may be its biggest problem... i mean i owned 2 Nissan's... both were in the 15K-25K range... im now older and if im dropping coin on a 70K car, its probably not gonna be a Nissan again...

Dodge and Chevy sells to a specific type of buyer... Same with Porsche... all the other luxury brands battle it out for all the average customer's in between... so the GTR either needs to develop a "specific type of buyer" ... basically a Japanese car enthusiast who came into more money... or really rich people who buy this as a 3rd or 4th car, just due to its performance potential...

But Carlos Ghosn knows what he's doing... so I'll wait till it plays itself out...
Old 11-07-2007, 09:33 AM

Received 383 Likes on 285 Posts

For me it's about the performance of the machine and the reliability. I'll take Japanese reliability over Italian, German, or American everyday of the week.
I like how it looks to but I'll admit looks to me are secondary to function, so function over form. I think it's a nice looking car. I don't think it's as easy on the eye as a certain Italian mfr but it looks fine to me and it's trick as shit.

Some won't like it because of the badge on it? Dumbasses. For what they are rumoring to charge for the thing, it's an absolute steal.

I think once in a while a truly great machine comes through and a good price and on the internet people will find a way to tear down anything and everything. They said this about the C6, Z06, that it's still a Chevy and all that. Well i don't share that opinion either.

I think this is going to be an outstanding car, and I'd love to own one.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:35 AM
rai

Originally Posted by Iceman1,Nov 7 2007, 10:26 AM
But Carlos Ghosn knows what he's doing... so I'll wait till it plays itself out...
This is a point. I mean look at Honda/Toyota

Some would argue but it's hard to say they are not heavy hitters in the World auto market (F1 and all).

But they are all but absent in the corvette/911/aston martin (etc.) market. NSX/Supra are long gone.

What makes Nissan think it's ripe to go in when Toyota is not ready to and Honda looks like it never will be (NSX on ond day off the next).
Old 11-07-2007, 09:42 AM
rai

[QUOTE=TommyDeVito,Nov 7 2007, 10:33 AM] For me it's about the performance of the machine and the reliability.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:50 AM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman1,Nov 7 2007, 01:26 PM
so the GTR either needs to develop a "specific type of buyer" ... basically a Japanese car enthusiast who came into more money... or really rich people who buy this as a 3rd or 4th car, just due to its performance potential...
Problem is, the majority of the biggest fans of this car are either 14 year olds mowing lawns to buy the latest copy of GT4 for PS2, or 17y/o kids delivering pizzas so they can afford more AEM stickers for their '92 Civic.

The kinds of people who can afford a $70k Nissan are the kinds of people who would be put off by the car's fanbase.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:56 AM
rai

Originally Posted by Chris Stack,Nov 7 2007, 10:50 AM
The kinds of people who can afford a $70k Nissan are the kinds of people who would be put off by the car's fanbase.
That could be true, I cring when I see Nismo decal, winged 350Zs with 22" chromes etc..

I'm closer to a 911 (type) than EVO/STi/Si rice-fan.

But I buy the car for what the car does, not what the whole rest of the world makes the car into (ie. Fast and Furious racers etc..).

If the car is a value, quality and good fun ride then I may buy it. I'm not buying it b/c it's on a GrandTurismo-4 or whatever. I'd buy it if it's the best all around car for me.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:57 AM

I think the GT-R would have been better served by being an Infiniti model, but I can see the downsides to that too. Where the "Ghosn" will show through is in the build quality. Nissans have been getting better with every new model and they are closing the gap to the Japanese leaders but they are still behind in fit and finish. Hopefully the motor will be smoother than the regular Z, at higher revs the VQ series motors can be a little rough. Maybe the VR38 will be better. In my book form follows function, and if the Skyline can run with the older 996 Turbo at slightly less than the price a used Turbo would cost then good for them. I'd still rather have the Porsche.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Chris Stack,Nov 7 2007, 10:50 AM
Problem is, the majority of the biggest fans of this car are either 14 year olds mowing lawns to buy the latest copy of GT4 for PS2, or 17y/o kids delivering pizzas so they can afford more AEM stickers for their '92 Civic.

That is soooo true.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:01 AM

its a nissan.

Quick Reply: What's wrong with the GT-R?