Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

What would you do if you ran the show?

Old 07-14-2006, 06:29 PM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Penforhire,Jul 14 2006, 06:21 PM
Work on lowering the cost of forced induction, probably turbos, so it can be used more widely.
VW is possibly the cheapest turbo I can think of at ~$21K I wonder why not many big players like Honda/Toyota etc. don't do many turbos. Could it be b/c they aren't as reliable?
Old 07-14-2006, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh yeh, I forgot this one:

Subaru would offer a USDM Impreza STi in coupe and wagon form.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by protokultur,Jul 14 2006, 08:26 PM
What are you, a woman? There are 10 billion luxury sports convertibles on the market already, but precious few hardcore roadsters. If you were 'running the show', wouldn't your ambitions stretch far beyond the current horizons?

In my version of reality:

Honda would strike a deal with GM to make the S2000 with an LS2, and properly call it the S6000. The USDM-only Honda S7200 type R would have an LS7. The original S2k shifter and other interior fitments would be perfectly retained, but add the Corvette HUD. They would bring back the CRX in an Si and HX version, and drop the butt ass ugly Element.

Porsche would drop the 'base' GT3 and return the more basic Carrera RS to their lineup with fewer options and no possibility of a sunroof. The GT3 RS and RSR would remain available to those who can withstand the ride on public roads.

GM would consolidate GMC and Chevy trucks, Pontiac and Chevy cars, and drop Buick, retaining Cadillac as a premier marque with an additional lower tier selling the most successful Buick as a Caddy. All trucks and SUVs would be sold as Chevrolets. The ownership stakes in the three dozen other companies that GM owns stock in would be liquidated. Cadillac would re-introduce the classic Fleetwood Brougham and make it just as it did in the 70's-'80s. Just because, since I am running the show after all.

Toyota would market a mid-engined version of its Yaris hatchback with the 2JZ-derived powerplant. They would also sell the diesel Yaris stateside (duh!). All the rest of Toyota's lineup would be dropped - too boring. Instead of making cars, the remaining engineering excellence of Toyota would be directed toward making a reliable x86 based operating system and web browser.

VW management would collapse into a black hole of punitive white liberal guilt, redistributing the assets of the VW group (and IKEA too) evenly amongst the poorest 25% of the world population.

BMW, Audi, MB, and dunno, maybe Volvo too would merge and form a multilateral concern called YuppieCar, offering a 2-ton luxury CVT hybrid made from 99% cruelty free recycled and reclaimed materials, and a few models of AMGs, but with manual transmissions only.

Ford group and the newly freed Chrysler would fold and their North American employees would go to work making consumer electronics products or anything else more modern than cars.
I like it.

Old 07-19-2006, 05:29 AM

I don't think any one person can call the shots at a car company anymore. There are too many stakeholders and too many alliances that would prevent it from happening. Steve Jobs is a bit of the exception to this rule, but then again he doesn't build cars, and really all the design and product work is done by other people, and Steve sells it to the public.

I think the question would be more accurate to the answers given so far if it were phrased like this: "If you had monarchal control over an automobile company, the ability to dictate what it built and sold in every way, without any pressures against your decision, what would you do?"

Another way of phrasing it could be: "If you lived on the 17th plane of existence in the transdimensional universe, what would your car company be like?"
Old 07-19-2006, 08:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was sorta with you until this:
Honda would strike a deal with GM to make the S2000 with an LS2, and properly call it the S6000. The USDM-only Honda S7200 type R would have an LS7. The original S2k shifter ....
The shifter (I am assuming you mean transmission since the "shifter" has nothing to do with the slickness of the S2k's gear box) would last about 5 secs, if that, with the LS2 or LS7. It seems that dropping a couple hundered pounds from the Z06 would be easier then someone shoe-horning the LSX engine into an S2000 and keeping the weight below that of the Z06. The frame of the S2000 isn't ready for power like that.

Personally, I think honda needs to get out of the sports car business all together...they aren't good at it. They make nice cars, but their sports cars don't sell for shit. They need to to reinvent the Acura brand line before bringing out a luxury type sports car. I think these wanna-be sports coupes (civic si, etc) are the ticket for Honda right now. They should stick to their bread and butter FWD family movers (the odyssey is great, time to do some work on the accord though) and little pocket-bottle-rockets (I just can't call a car that does 0-60 in 6.5 a rocket). The S2000 hasn't sold well and the NSX...well....I won't even go there. I don't want Stack to jump my shit! They engineer great products, but they need to shoot for products people actually want in numbers (sounds like the company I work for). Porsche almost disappeared until they figured it out.

Toyota: just die already. Do we really need more boring cars...no.

VW: Same for you, but all of the acquired companies would live on! Long live the Bull and Bugatti.

GM: Spin the vette into it's own line. Sell it through it's own dealers and service department so I don't have to have mullet boy working on my 70k Z06.

Ford: Hopefully someone will remove the lead they keep putting in all of their cars. Can you guys actually make a car that doesn't weigh almost 4000lbs?

Hyundai: Looking good, but once you become toyota you will have to die also, so get some soul...NOW!!

that's good for now...
Old 07-19-2006, 08:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Slamnasty,Jul 19 2006, 08:29 AM
I don't think any one person can call the shots at a car company anymore. There are too many stakeholders and too many alliances that would prevent it from happening. Steve Jobs is a bit of the exception to this rule, but then again he doesn't build cars, and really all the design and product work is done by other people, and Steve sells it to the public.

I think the question would be more accurate to the answers given so far if it were phrased like this: "If you had monarchal control over an automobile company, the ability to dictate what it built and sold in every way, without any pressures against your decision, what would you do?"

Another way of phrasing it could be: "If you lived on the 17th plane of existence in the transdimensional universe, what would your car company be like?"

relax dude,
it's just a hypothetical "let's have fun" thread...
Old 07-19-2006, 08:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you know how shoe companies (like nike...)
bring back old retro shoes?
i would do the same shiet.
bring back the old cars,
same design, same spec, same everything
just like back in the good- ol'- days.
imagine driving a BRAND NEW 19xx xxxx xxxx (fill in the x with you own personal dream machines...)
Old 07-19-2006, 10:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

enzos for everyone
Old 07-19-2006, 10:57 AM

TVR look at that kid!
Old 07-19-2006, 11:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Chris Stack,Jul 14 2006, 06:33 PM] Two chicks at....oh, nevermind.
[QUOTE]

I am sure if you had that kind of money you could hook that up.

Quick Reply: What would you do if you ran the show?