Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

What would you suggest for a daily driver?

Old 09-08-2009, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would you suggest for a daily driver?

I am looking for input and recommendations for a daily driver for my girlfriend. Just to be CLEAR about what I am looking for I have listed requirements that are NOT flexible.

This way I won't have to deal with those guys who suggest a Lexus IS300 when the budget is SUB $6,000.00 because SOMEONE with the odds of getting struck by lightening MIGHT possibly find one somewhere in the country with 175,000 miles on it for $6,300.00...

I will be a dick if someone plain as day ignores everything I said in the post and posts something like I just did above for a suggestion.

The requirements:

Budget: UNDER $5,500! I don't want to here "but but for only $500 more you could get this" or "You should just do this" or "You should just trade it in on this"... The truck will be sold, and the money we get from selling it will all go to a private sale vehicle. Nothing will be financed and the budget may be less depending on how much we get for the truck. $5,500 is the max if everything goes well so think $4,000-$5,000 ish.

Fuel efficiency: It does not have to get 40 mpg, gas mileage is a concern but as long as it isn't getting less than 20 mpg when driven by a grandma it should be fine.

Transmission: Automatic is ideal but a good car with a manual will not be ignored.

Reliability: This is KEY. She wants something she does not have to worry about dumping money into. "Can be reliable if" is not acceptable. She needs something plug and play. Something with NO track record for pricey things that go boom. This needs to be the same in higher mileage too. NOTHING GERMAN! No acceptions.

AWD/FWD/RWD: AWD if preffered but I do not know how well Legacy and Impreza drivelines hold up over time. FWD is the next best option, RWD is a no-no she can't drive that well.

Climate: Pennsylvania, winters get kinda yucky.

Doors: 4 doors, no coupes and NO WAGONS.

Performance/Fun Factor: This is not a priority, but if she can have some of it while also having the rest of the needs that must be met so be it.

Availability: The car must be a fairly easy find.

No domestics

Power windows and locks would be nice...

I think that is about it.

I have thought of the obvious such as Accord, Civic, Corolla... Camry is iffy because in that price range it puts you into the years where they had oil sludge issues.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:08 PM

Definately go for an 1996-2000 Civic EX sedan, it will fit all of your requirements perfectly. It's pretty easy to average 30mpg if your fairly frugal with it and the D16 is solid as a rock reliability wise. Also, make sure your looking at the EX model as I'm pretty sure it was the only one that came with ABS standard.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got a '95 Accord EX Sedan that fits pretty much all of those criteria. Mine is a 5-speed, and I would recommend that over an automatic, especially if you're getting a higher mileage one.

For $5K, you should be able to get one that's considerably newer and lower mileage than mine.

For my car:
Budget: Probably around $2000-2500
Fuel Efficiency: I average ~27mpg in mixed driving. Can get ~30 on the highway
Transmission: 5MT
FWD
Climate: Get some winter tires
4-door
Performance: Not great, but the engine is peppy enough. Handling is not nearly as impressive as my 88 Accord was, but this car is probably 20% heavier, too.
Power Windows & Locks & moonroof on the EX model.

My car has ~210K miles on it, still on the factory clutch, still runs great with the original trip to redline just for the heck of it. I've put in a new radiator and CV joints... all other maintenance has been standard wear-items (brake pads, rotors, belts, fluids, filters, plugs, etc).
Old 09-08-2009, 12:34 PM

or maybe an old integra sedan
sounds like you already know what you want though, good luck!
Old 09-08-2009, 12:38 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Civic, Accord, Sentra, Corolla. The usual boring, economical people movers.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by EVAN&MONICA,Sep 8 2009, 03:34 PM
or maybe an old integra sedan
sounds like you already know what you want though, good luck!
you or she seem to know what you want.

For my money it would be an Integra sedan, GSR for fun. Or Focus SVT, it's made in Mexico so it doesn't count as domestic (Yeah I'm a smart ass)

You can get higher (over 100k) mileage Mazda 6s, Nissan Altimas, and Imprezas in your price range if you want newer.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:12 PM

Here is another boring sedan you might not have looked at.... and cheaper than a Corolla too.

Look at a Chevy Prism. It is a Toyota Corolla clone without the price tag. The only thing Chevy are the name plate and factory radio.

You should be able to get the last years of 2001-2002 for your budget.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:14 PM

Basically the newest Maxima you can get. Pretty solid performer for a 4 dr sedan, luxurious enough, and my 99 has been seriously reliable with 170k currently.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:05 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I suggest:

Old 09-08-2009, 07:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Civic...think about the forum you're posting this on.

Quick Reply: What would you suggest for a daily driver?