Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

What is your exhaust noise worth?

Old 12-04-2017, 12:19 PM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts
Default What is your exhaust noise worth?

Just watched the video in this link, skip to 45 seconds and listen to the awesome.

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/beh...-meant-to-see/

But listening to the noise and appreciating the fact I bought the flat six Cayman instead of the new four. With engine downsizing, turbocharging muffling some of the sounds, and electrification, in the future do you think people will shell out big money to cars that make glorious exhaust noises?

Listening to that car, I would love to drive around with that sound all day long. I love it when I open the flaps on my exhaust and rip to the redline. So it may sound silly, but think off in to the future, do you think you would pay extra, or be attracted to cars that just make some old fashioned internal combustion noise, a old V8 rumble or flat six wail? Or do you think new cars will just be so much faster that no one will care about the sound and it will be a lost part of cars. It makes me think the current GT350's and the like will get serious coin in the distant future just for the noises they make even when future Mustangs would leave it for dead on the road.

Last edited by vader1; 12-04-2017 at 12:39 PM.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:35 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

It's hugely important to me, but I'm old and grew up listening to muscle cars and Daytona coupes. Sound is one of the key things I keep in mind in deciding what car to get, and I'll pay extra for it. And always* will.

* Granting that "always" in my case is not that long a stretch.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:41 PM

I suppose I could add that I have one car that makes real noise and one car that has fake noise pumped through the speakers. The fake noise is welcome because the engine by itself does not sound that great, but it does not come close to the real thing.
Old 12-04-2017, 02:11 PM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Sound is a hugely important factor to me, so much that I would probably not buy any car that doesn't at least sound decent, even if the rest of it is perfect. To me, driving an electric car is like making love to a woman who is completely silent. Kind of kills an element...

I mean, this weekend I'm spending $1600 on a used exhaust that offers no performance benefit beyond saving some weight, just to make the sound my 8,400rpm N/A V8 makes go from "very good" to "great." And sound is one big reason I don't really want a new M3. Definitely not "rational" but neither is wanting a manual transmission, yet both are an essential part of driving to me. Take away things like sound, shifting, feel, etc. and all you really have is a roller coaster, which can be fun but not really involving as a driver.
The following users liked this post:
WolfpackS2k (12-05-2017)
Old 12-04-2017, 03:27 PM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

^ Agreed on all counts.

Sound is a huge part of enjoying a car. A sportscar that doesn't sound good isn't worth buying, in my opinion, more specifically as you spend more money. The aural enjoyment of driving is as critical as the speed and acceleration of the car.

I'd be okay with a Miata that didn't sound great. I wouldn't be okay with a BMW or Audi or Mercedes or Jaguar that didn't sound great, though, at $50K+...
The following users liked this post:
LUV2REV (12-04-2017)
Old 12-04-2017, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by white98ls
I mean, this weekend I'm spending $1600 on a used exhaust that offers no performance benefit beyond saving some weight, just to make the sound my 8,400rpm N/A V8 makes go from "very good" to "great." .

If it is the Eisenmann I completely approve.
Old 12-04-2017, 06:44 PM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

Just part of the reason I like air-cooled 911 engines, versus later water-cooled ones.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:33 PM

Received 380 Likes on 283 Posts

I just wanted to say. If you sell that Cayman with the six, you’re high. Now that they’ve gone Subaru, your car is gonna hold value. I’d be making it my Sunday car, and a long term keeper.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:33 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

In the same breath though is it a conditioned response that we learned to associate certain noises with speed, and to go a step further maybe we equate speed to the thrill of competition/winning? I say this because the next generation will be raised on quieter cars and the electric cars may actually be faster, so the noise may sound antiquated to their ears. For instance alot of people love the sounds of a loud Harley, I practically equate it with ignorant inconsiderate people. Just food for thought.
I never liked overly loud cars, but sound to me was always important, everytime I hear a gt350 I tingle in all the right places. But if that cars drones on the highway I will want to drive it off a cliff.
Old 12-05-2017, 03:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
In the same breath though is it a conditioned response that we learned to associate certain noises with speed, and to go a step further maybe we equate speed to the thrill of competition/winning? I say this because the next generation will be raised on quieter cars and the electric cars may actually be faster, so the noise may sound antiquated to their ears. For instance alot of people love the sounds of a loud Harley, I practically equate it with ignorant inconsiderate people. Just food for thought.
I never liked overly loud cars, but sound to me was always important, everytime I hear a gt350 I tingle in all the right places. But if that cars drones on the highway I will want to drive it off a cliff.
I've been worried about drone too. The car is pretty docile at highway cruising, even though I always drive it in sport mode (exhaust open). I've been looking at Corsa systems and the Kooks off road pipe (so I can run the Ghost Cam tune ) but clips I've seen/heard are LOUD...That might not do it for me in the long run...

Quick Reply: What is your exhaust noise worth?