Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Who doesn't wear seat belts?

Old 03-01-2012, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who doesn't wear seat belts?

Spinoff from a discussion in this thread that got me wondering:

Mandates and laws aside, does anyone here not wear a seat belt when driving or riding as a passenger? And if so, why not? Not meant to cast judgement or poke fun, I'm just seriously wondering. As someone who grew up always wearing a seat belt, I can't drive or ride without wearing one- I feel naked without it. I know it's not a cloak of invincibility, but I figure it's a pretty convenient way to increase my odds of survival in case of an accident in ANY vehicle, big/small/convertible/coupe. I can kinda understand why someone wouldn't want to wear a helmet (hot, "uncool", restricted senses, etc.), but I don't think those apply to seat belts.

So why not wear one?
Old 03-01-2012, 03:15 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I always wear one and wouldn't think about not wearing one unless it were physically impossible due to injury or other circumstance. That said, I don't think it should be government mandated. Same way I don't necessarily think cigarette smoking should be outlawed - even though it's terribly bad for you.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:17 PM

I personally don't wear one, not around town nor in the curvy roads in the mountains. I just never really have worn one my entire life, parents never pushed it. The enforcement for seat belts just started in 05 in SC, So growing up I never wore one and it carried over. I personally don't like the way they feel on me anyway.

*edit the seat belt law here prior to 05 was if you were pulled over for a different violation they could ticket you for no seat belt but they couldn't stop you solely on no seat belt. After 05 they are now allowed to pull you over for no seat belt.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:22 PM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by scblackap1
I personally don't wear one, not around town nor in the curvy roads in the mountains. I just never really have worn one my entire life, parents never pushed it. The enforcement for seat belts just started in 05 in SC, So growing up I never wore one and it carried over. I personally don't like the way they feel on me anyway.

*edit the seat belt law here prior to 05 was if you were pulled over for a different violation they could ticket you for no seat belt but they couldn't stop you solely on no seat belt. After 05 they are now allowed to pull you over for no seat belt.
so your fine with the increased risk of injury or fatality from not having the habit of using your seat belt?
Old 03-01-2012, 03:32 PM

i personally think it's reckless not to wear one. even if i were very confident in my driving skills, i couldn't trust the hundreds of drivers i encounter on the road.

besides, the damn beeping noise for not wearing my seatbelt is just flat out annoying.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:10 PM

I don't wear on in my 1970 Corvette or my motorcycle but I do in every other car. Not sure why not in the vette, but in every other car I feel naked without one.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by s.hasan546
Originally Posted by scblackap1' timestamp='1330647478' post='21467899
I personally don't wear one, not around town nor in the curvy roads in the mountains. I just never really have worn one my entire life, parents never pushed it. The enforcement for seat belts just started in 05 in SC, So growing up I never wore one and it carried over. I personally don't like the way they feel on me anyway.*edit the seat belt law here prior to 05 was if you were pulled over for a different violation they could ticket you for no seat belt but they couldn't stop you solely on no seat belt. After 05 they are now allowed to pull you over for no seat belt.
so your fine with the increased risk of injury or fatality from not having the habit of using your seat belt?

Yes, just like I'm fine with having no air bags/abs in my dd integra. I know it doesn't really make a lot of sense and I don't expect anyone else to understand. And I'm not trying to argue about my choices. It's just a personal choice.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:30 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^^^no judgement here. My twin brother never ever wears his seat belt and drives shoeless. Why I'll never know.......
I can't drive or be in any car without my belt on. I feel like I sway everywhere without it.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MBHs2k
^^^^^no judgement here. My twin brother never ever wears his seat belt and drives shoeless. Why I'll never know.......
I can't drive or be in any car without my belt on. I feel like I sway everywhere without it.
I drive my sports cars shoeless and I always wear a seatbelt, I feel naked with out one. Just like on my motorcycle I wear ALL my gear head to toe even if I'm going 5 mins down the road.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by scblackap1
Originally Posted by s.hasan546' timestamp='1330647764' post='21467911
[quote name='scblackap1' timestamp='1330647478' post='21467899']I personally don't wear one, not around town nor in the curvy roads in the mountains. I just never really have worn one my entire life, parents never pushed it. The enforcement for seat belts just started in 05 in SC, So growing up I never wore one and it carried over. I personally don't like the way they feel on me anyway.*edit the seat belt law here prior to 05 was if you were pulled over for a different violation they could ticket you for no seat belt but they couldn't stop you solely on no seat belt. After 05 they are now allowed to pull you over for no seat belt.

Yes, just like I'm fine with having no air bags/abs in my dd integra. I know it doesn't really make a lot of sense and I don't expect anyone else to understand. And I'm not trying to argue about my choices. It's just a personal choice.
[/quote]
I'd much rather a seatbelt without airbag than the other way around.

Not arguing here, but I'm curious: Have you ever stopped to think about why you choose not to wear one? To me the potential benefit FAR outweighs the potential negative, so it's a clear and conscious reason TO wear. I mean, you're a grown adult and all so you can do as you please, but just wondering.

Quick Reply: Who doesn't wear seat belts?