Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Who the heck buys Saabs?

Old 08-24-2004, 04:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1st with heated seats, headlight wipers, active whiplash prevention.

great cars for the money.
Old 08-24-2004, 04:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know what the GM/Saab represents. Saabrolet? The older ones were quirky, and non-mainstream. Maybe that's what their owners were going for.
I remember the really old Saabs. B-10 Sports? Wonedrful 2 cycle engines where you had to dump the 2 cycle oil in the tank when you got gas. Now that was unique!
Old 08-24-2004, 05:12 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Didn't read any of the posts above, but as a previous leasee of a 2000 Saab 9-3 I can tell you the cars are very sound. I didn't have any problems in 3 years of ownership and I abused the hell out of it because it was a lease. It's safe, roomy, and had enough punch to get the job done when necessary. Comfortable on long trips as well, I think Saabs are cars for people who just want something that they know will get from point A to point B and not have to worry about anything in between.
Old 08-24-2004, 06:45 AM

I think it is an import for people who aren't into cars... these are the same people who buy Camrys or Hyundais, they just want a car rather than a way of life. With a Saab they get that euro import feel, but generally less than Benz/BMW/Audi.

That and they also have a core audience of loyalists.
Old 08-24-2004, 08:03 AM

I have a buddy who bought a 9-3 Turbo Convertible and he brags about it all the time. He thinks it is a very high end classy car. I just smile and compliment it, then I get a free meal.
Old 08-24-2004, 09:19 AM

It's a lot like the people buying volvo's. Volvo's used to differentiate themselves with their safety features, but many cars are now as safe if not safer and more reliable then volvo's or saabs. I think it's kind of cult following. I have owned a volvo and even though it was kind of a pile they still look good to me.
Old 08-24-2004, 09:45 AM

I would have to disagree with the above statement. Volvo's are still at the top of the safety world. They are ahead of just about every other car manufacturer when it comes to safety. Their biggest fallback was that their cars weren't interesting or stylish, which they have been addressing quite nicely in the last couple of years. In fact, of Ford's PAG (Premium auto group), volvo is the only one making money right now, and they probably will continue to with the release of the new S40 and V50...
Old 08-24-2004, 09:59 AM

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Dr. WOT,Aug 24 2004, 09:45 AM
I think it is an import for people who aren't into cars... these are the same people who buy Camrys or Hyundais, they just want a car rather than a way of life. With a Saab they get that euro import feel, but generally less than Benz/BMW/Audi.

That and they also have a core audience of loyalists.
who aren't into cars?
Old 08-24-2004, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Anrosphynx,Aug 24 2004, 05:45 PM
I would have to disagree with the above statement. Volvo's are still at the top of the safety world. They are ahead of just about every other car manufacturer when it comes to safety. Their biggest fallback was that their cars weren't interesting or stylish, which they have been addressing quite nicely in the last couple of years. In fact, of Ford's PAG (Premium auto group), volvo is the only one making money right now, and they probably will continue to with the release of the new S40 and V50...
yeah, they still make safe cars, but it isn't like they are heads and tails above BMW's, Mercs, Audis, hell...camry's or accords for that matter. Also, their reliability is not great compared to the their competitors. You can find a better all-around car for every model in the Volvo or Saab's lineup. Therefore, you would buy them for other reasons, style, uniqueness, cult like following, etc.

I don't think I said volvo's weren't safe, but the fact is almost all cars are safe now. The difference between the most safe semi-luxury sedan to the least safe is tiny.
Old 08-24-2004, 11:10 AM

-Saab 9-5 Aero - don't knock it until you've tried it. Its a pretty good, fast, large sedan. Distinctive styling.
-The Canadian version of the 9-2x Aero is priced on par with a WRX wagon optioned out the same way, and looks better too IMHO. Standard 17" wheels, sunroof, cold weather package in Canada.
-The new 9-3 is the best looking sports sedan out there, especially in black with the twin-spoke 17" wheels. Pretty good driving dynamics too, despite being FWD.

I disagree with the comment well above about there being lots of turbo lag. The 9-5 and 9-3 pull pretty hard from 2000 RPM on up.
The old 9-3 Viggen had its peak torque (about 225 ft-lb!) available from 1900 RPM and onwards - not bad for a 19 psi 2.3L turbo. Speaking of which, the VRK (Viggen Rescue Kit, do a search on www.saabcentral.com) takes care of most of the chassis flex and most of the torque steer, for not that much $$. Some simple mods get horsepower into the high 300 range. I've heard people on vwvortex call the Viggen the Scandanavian equiavalent of the Corrado - high praise indeed.

I can pick up a very low mileage 2002 Viggen for $17K CDN now, so they make great used car values. Same with the 9-5 and new 9-3.
Not so good on your pocket book if you buy new though....

Quick Reply: Who the heck buys Saabs?