Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Why does Civic Si intrigue me?

Old 05-24-2017, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI, HONDATA just release their FLASHPRO for the 2016+ regular 1.5L turbo civic. You can check the link here Hondata Reflash Unlocks Loads of Power From Honda Civic 1.5L Turbo - Motor Trend .They were able make performance gains of 42 hp and 76lbs of torque. As stated above by darcyw, Hondata will definitely wake up the potential of the SI and if I am hearing this correctly stated by Blazing_angel, the SI with a larger turbo and custom bottom end, I can see performance gains closer to the type r.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:30 AM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I want to see the longevity of the engine with all the tinkering that will be happening, the question is are we going to be seeing a ton of voided warranties and poped blocks or is this engine going the route of the 4g63 evo engine.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:56 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

From what I've read, the Si 1.5T engine is better built (a number of upgrades) and could take the power "easily". On the base Civics, it's less robust but should be fine with basic tuning but not necessarily the full tune with race gas and a bunch of bolt-ons. I don't think the base 1.5L is made to handle an additional 9 psi of boost. The CVT on the Civic DEFINITELY isn't built to handle that torque increase but the manual transmission is probably just fine.....
Old 05-25-2017, 08:06 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

Kind of sad IMO that before this car even debuts we're talking about how it'll be a decent performance bargain only if you add aftermarket tuning/equipment. Bravo Honda...
Old 05-25-2017, 09:17 AM

We don't know how it performs yet but we know that with any entry-level enthusiast model, lots of people are going to want to add more power... That goes for all of the entry-level models, regardless of power (WRX, GTI, Focus ST, etc).
Old 05-25-2017, 10:56 AM

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

It looks like the civic will be lighter at 2900lbs than most of the competition. Everyone loves the fiesta ST and it has a bit less power at 2800lbs. I bet the SI is as fast as most of the others:WRX, GTI, Focus St, etc., or very close. It will come down to how it drives.
The following users liked this post:
EastS2k (05-25-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 01:23 PM

This guy got clutch slippage at roughly 300 ft-lbs of torque on the dyno so he dropped back to 280 ft-lbs. If the clutch is slipping during basic acceleration, it's not going to last long at all. Even at 280 ft-lbs, he'll still wear out his clutch quickly. Those with the Hondata tune have said they experience some slippage at the lower levels as well but that could be poor driving. Either way, I would definitely plan on a clutch replacement on the base Civics fairly soon. The Si probably has an uprated clutch and may last longer with elevated power levels.

For the record, he hit 248 hp and 301 ft-lbs on a Civic EX-T 6MT with just an intake and tune, so the Si should be able to hit those numbers "easily".
Old 05-25-2017, 05:33 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rknXXfkGXYU

This guy got clutch slippage at roughly 300 ft-lbs of torque on the dyno so he dropped back to 280 ft-lbs. If the clutch is slipping during basic acceleration, it's not going to last long at all. Even at 280 ft-lbs, he'll still wear out his clutch quickly. Those with the Hondata tune have said they experience some slippage at the lower levels as well but that could be poor driving. Either way, I would definitely plan on a clutch replacement on the base Civics fairly soon. The Si probably has an uprated clutch and may last longer with elevated power levels.

For the record, he hit 248 hp and 301 ft-lbs on a Civic EX-T 6MT with just an intake and tune, so the Si should be able to hit those numbers "easily".
clutch slippage is pretty serious on a brand new car, you are looking at 1k for a clutch job, for a car in this price range its close to 5% of the total car price, from what it looks like the Si clutch part number is the same as the ex-t, so even while the engine may take it, the clutch seems to be the bottle neck (same story as the gti, clutch also the weak point even for a stage1 tune)
Old 05-25-2017, 05:34 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

I still have not found either a youtube, online or magazine review of the Si.

​​​​​​​darcy
Old 05-25-2017, 05:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by EastS2k
I want to see the longevity of the engine with all the tinkering that will be happening, the question is are we going to be seeing a ton of voided warranties and poped blocks or is this engine going the route of the 4g63 evo engine.
This is how I feel as well. On paper it looks amazing. Hondata + I/H/E + Intercooler. But how reliable will these engines be? I remember when the Mazdaspeed 3 first came out, it had amazing on paper specs and there was no competition. $23k, 265HP/280TQ, 6Spd + LSD. It seemed like paradise until people started to blow their engines left and right. Even bone stock ones were blowing.

We will see how things turn out though. I'm rooting for Honda to bring out a bulletproof engine. Heck our beloved S2000 engines can handle 400whp+ without breaking a sweat.

Quick Reply: Why does Civic Si intrigue me?