Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Why does Civic Si intrigue me?

Old 04-11-2017, 12:06 PM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts
Default Why does Civic Si intrigue me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eISAJKupJg

I
don't know why this car has me reading about it. I was always a fan of the RSX type S back when it came out. Never owned one. This car has the same power and 50 ftlbs more torque for $25k.Some point after launch you will be able to drive away with one for about $23k.

Most cheap cars do not interest me anymore. I suppose I am at an age where the snobbier stuff appeals to me. But this car reminds me of the stuff I used to love to drive back in college. It has a stick, it is light, simple, it has a little power, will most likely be all day reliable and great on gas. I was passed on the way to work by a white Civic sedan sport touring and I think I am over the ugliness of the back end. It looked kind of cool with the center exhaust.

If I like cars in this class I should really pick up a GTI but this sort of seems like return to form for Honda in a way. Cheap fun.

I dunno. Maybe something is wrong with me.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:27 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1

I
don't know why this car has me reading about it. I was always a fan of the RSX type S back when it came out. Never owned one. This car has the same power and 50 ftlbs more torque for $25k.Some point after launch you will be able to drive away with one for about $23k.

Most cheap cars do not interest me anymore. I suppose I am at an age where the snobbier stuff appeals to me. But this car reminds me of the stuff I used to love to drive back in college. It has a stick, it is light, simple, it has a little power, will most likely be all day reliable and great on gas. I was passed on the way to work by a white Civic sedan sport touring and I think I am over the ugliness of the back end. It looked kind of cool with the center exhaust.

If I like cars in this class I should really pick up a GTI but this sort of seems like return to form for Honda in a way. Cheap fun.

They dropped the ball, 205hp when all the competition is similarly priced in the mid 250's? seriously honda, was it that hard to put in a detuned 2.0 from the type R and dejuice it to 250 ponies???
Its just not worth $25k when you can get a brand new mk7 gti for 19.5, with 230hp, 270tq, same curb weight.
This is coming fron a FB6 Si owner, great little car with 205hp 2.4L NA, if you took away that gem of a 2.4L engine and replace it with a turbo, at least sweeten the deal and add some more power to it.
The following users liked this post:
WolfpackS2k (04-13-2017)
Old 04-11-2017, 12:36 PM

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

Is it because you hate being happy?
Old 04-11-2017, 12:45 PM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.
Is it because you hate being happy?
Maybe.

My first car was a Prelude. I drove my brother's CRX for a stint. Then owned the S2000 for a dozen years. Just have a soft spot for Hondas I guess.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:59 PM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by EastS2k
Its just not worth $25k when you can get a brand new mk7 gti for 19.5, with 230hp, 270tq, same curb weight.
Where can you get a new GTI for $19.5k? I looked at them last year and the cheapest MSRP was $26k. Doubt they're going to take 25% off that.

I like the new Civic hatch a lot. Shame they aren't making an Si version. The new Si would make a nice daily - will probably perform better than its specs suggest. But yeah, the hp # is pretty weak, and even the torque at 192lb/ft. Pathetic - Fiesta ST #s when it's competing with GTIs and Focus STs.
Old 04-11-2017, 02:36 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Yeah, no. Whats wrong with you?
Old 04-11-2017, 03:28 PM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by EastS2k
They dropped the ball, 205hp when all the competition is similarly priced in the mid 250's? seriously honda, was it that hard to put in a detuned 2.0 from the type R and dejuice it to 250 ponies???
This is coming fron a FB6 Si owner, great little car with 205hp 2.4L NA, if you took away that gem of a 2.4L engine and replace it with a turbo, at least sweeten the deal and add some more power to it.
The Si is a disappointment for me. They went with a basic engine, didn't do anything special (it's shared with an overseas car, apparently), and effectively wimped out. Seriously, 192 ft-lbs? It's way down on torque for the turbo class it's fighting, even if power is barely lower than a base GTI (which starts at 210 hp still, by the way). 258 ft-lbs of torque in the GTI is a big difference, though!

THAT SAID, the new Si does have an adaptive suspension, it's lighter by a few hundred pounds (or more) than the competition, it should be reliable and it should handle as well or better than most. It might not be as quick as some but it may be a more complete package for many.

Without driving it, I would think a GTI is the better buy (looks, power, torque, interior, acceleration) if you don't plan to keep it a long time or want to mod. Other than that, I'll still trust Honda's engineering over VW or Ford and take a bet that the Si will outlast most of them, 99% of the time. You just won't be able to mod it very well as it's a pretty high-strung engine already. You'll have to go more extreme to make a lot more power, that's for sure.
Old 04-11-2017, 06:07 PM

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1

I

Car interiors have come a long way especially in the $25k range. I was pretty impressed with Civics and Accords I sat in at the dealer recently. If you are thinking hatchback, I'll throw one at you might not have considered, Mini Cooper. The first gens are my favorite but the interiors aren't great and they're all 10 years old and rattle. I'm getting one because they made my 135i seem boring. The 2nd gen takes a big jump in interior quality. You can really see the BMW influence, not in the looks but material quality. They are almost as fun as the first gens though on paper they handle better and they're a touch lighter. I don't love the turbo power delivery of the 2nd gen, slight lag and then big push but out of steam at 5k. Some might love the torque though. I find either of these double the fun of a GTI.

The 3rd and current gen has a slightly better interior than the 2nd and they can be optioned up to $40k. The fun is pretty much gone. They're quick but the steering is number and they feel like a little crossover.

For some fun and genuine luxury, I'd look for one of the special edition Gen 2s. They did one in collaboration with Rolls Royce and used their leather, cashmere headliner and mohair carpets. The Mayfair is pretty cool too. MINI COOPER MAYFAIR EDITION, PREMIUM, STYLE & SPORT PKGS, WARRANTY | Shift Motors Inc
Old 04-11-2017, 06:58 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

None of these kind of cars being referenced excite me very much, if they did i would own one instead of an S2000. Its like trying to compare which turd is best. Not very exciting. I dont care what they cost.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:22 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
None of these kind of cars being referenced excite me very much, if they did i would own one instead of an S2000. Its like trying to compare which turd is best. Not very exciting. I dont care what they cost.
sometimes you have to eat turds before you get the cake.

Quick Reply: Why does Civic Si intrigue me?