Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Why does Ford suck so bad?

Old 07-26-2006, 12:13 PM

Received 400 Likes on 221 Posts
Default Why does Ford suck so bad?

The thread on the operating loss brought something clearly into focus. Ford currently makes NOTHING that gets me excited. The Shelby GT500 is the closest thing, but it's a fat pig.

Is there anything that Ford makes that is appealing to a car enthusiast? They make boring, mundane cars only the car ignorant masses buy due to massive discounts, etc. And even less of the masses buy the car as time goes by....where's the revitalization of Ford?
Old 07-26-2006, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

shouldn't the title read "Why does Ford suck so bad ACCORDING TO MY PERSONAL PREFERENCE?" ?
Old 07-26-2006, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by QUIKAG,Jul 26 2006, 12:13 PM
The thread on the operating loss brought something clearly into focus. Ford currently makes NOTHING that gets me excited. The Shelby GT500 is the closest thing, but it's a fat pig.

Is there anything that Ford makes that is appealing to a car enthusiast? They make boring, mundane cars only the car ignorant masses buy due to massive discounts, etc. And even less of the masses buy the car as time goes by....where's the revitalization of Ford?
They made the Ford GT....
Did I say made, oh yeah.

I guess they don't make anything I want then. Or can afford if they did continue to make the GT.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:23 PM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG,Jul 26 2006, 03:13 PM

What cars do excite you? Most makers probably only have one, maybe two at most, right?

Exciting cars are the exception, not the norm, unless you're talking about the high end makers and prestige brands.

If you're talking about sports cars, most makers only have one. If you're talking true sport sedans, the low-end market doesn't really make them either (that includes Honda, GM, Ford, Nissan, VW, and Toyota). You've got to step up to the luxury brands to get something truly "exciting" - power and handling and build quality. BMW, Infiniti, Acura, Lexus, and Mercedes offer higher powered vehicles with more sporty intentions.

Perhaps you're just looking at the wrong place?
Old 07-26-2006, 12:37 PM

The line up of cars that appeal to the enthusiast is short. Mustang GT, Ford GT, Shelby Mustang and that's about it. They have some nice cars from their overseas affiliates. I felt badly about the Shelby at 3,900 lbs until I started seeing numbers for the Challenger at 4,200. Hopefully the Camero, if it gets built, will be closer to 3,400.

They have a new 265 hp v6 that looks pretty nice. That engine in a Fusion would make for a spunky 4 door sedan. It should also help the 500. But those aren't exactly enthusiast cars.

If I remember correctly, the Crown Vic/Town Car are the only RWD auto platforms that Ford has other than the Mustang. That limits things some. A turbo Focus could be fun, but Ford won't even bring us the most current version of the standard car.

Your point is well made. I think they are trying to cover the big areas (sales wise) before they spend any more on the niche areas.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:51 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

The Ford that excites me the most is the Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:25 PM

The ultimate purpose of a business is to be profitable. Automakers are businesses, and don't have to make everything "exciting" to some of you, as long as their businesses are viable. Toyota and Honda barely make anything "exciting" to some of you, but they are very successful because their products are generally good and reliable. Unfortunately, Ford is also failing this.

"Exciting" to you may not be the same to the general market.
Old 07-26-2006, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by JonBoy,Jul 26 2006, 04:23 PM
You've got to step up to the luxury brands to get something truly "exciting" - power and handling and build quality. BMW, Infiniti, Acura, Lexus, and Mercedes offer higher powered vehicles with more sporty intentions.

Perhaps you're just looking at the wrong place?
So that would bring us up to a Lincoln...
Old 07-26-2006, 05:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I hate the Mustang too, but the rest of the country is different than us. The Ford Mustang is one of the better selling cars in Ford's lineup, right under the F150.
Old 07-26-2006, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Elistan,Jul 26 2006, 02:51 PM
The Ford that excites me the most is the Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
I saw my first DB9 today. It merged on next to me and then left me. I was in the maxima, If I was in the C6 I might have played a little bit. Damn SEXY!

Quick Reply: Why does Ford suck so bad?