Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Why does Ford suck so bad?

Old 07-26-2006, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the F150. I'd never buy one (no room, and not enough need when I can just rent a U-Haul or borrow someone elses truck for those rare occasions I need one), but I like it for a truck.

The Fusion is okay... and uhh, Lincoln town cars are good because they have terrible resale value. I guess if I had to pay for a company car for employees to take clients around in it would be that, but again I'm not likely to be in that situation anytime soon.

So, yah. Ford basically sucks =D
Old 07-26-2006, 07:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i agree with the OP. ford is badly run company and very american in it's practices. doing very little r + d and just getting by in quality/assembly. lowest cost to put out the product. it feels like there is no conviction. just blah. only time i drive american is when it's a rental.
Old 07-27-2006, 02:25 AM

What I find really fun is that Ford Sucks, their cars suck, the engineering dept sucks, their styling dept sucks(expect Aston's) yet their ads brag about BOLD moves.

WTF - what is so Bold about Ford.

I have a friend who loves Fords. He had a F150 with a big Ford emblem in the back. He traded that in for a Mustang GT- realized that he couldn't keeping paying for the tickets, insurance and tires and traded that in on a Fusion. I saw it the other day and asked him how he likes his new Mazda.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:05 AM

I had a probe, those were kinda cool...uh...the paint wasn't so hot and the boots went out, but it was an otherwise reliable car.

My gf currenty drives a focus, and y'know, I like it despite the fact that she needed whole new brakes just 27miles *right after* her warranty expired. Also her throttle is sticky, well its the petal and actually it doesn't stick but its initally hard to push when cold, therefore giving a jolt when she starts from a stop. And also her ignition will lock and she can't start her car and her plastic cover piece of her radio is chipping off flakes of plastic covering paint. And her radio will also randomly turn off.

But other than that, I really like the engine and for the price its roomy and is okay on gas. And its an okay car to drive, fun-wise. I *almost* considered getting an SVT focus, but didn't...

Plus the focus reminded me of the Ka, or whatever that car was in europe. It was small, and looked fun to drive.

Ford has made some pretty cool cars, in my eyes. The svt contour looked cool, the focus, and I really like the new mustang, though I'd never buy one for lots of reasons.

All of their "fun" cars seem to be in Australia or Europe. But their reliabilty compared to my hondas, well lets just say there isn't any.

I may be wrong but Ford, along with GM, seem to be more about the short term; a majority of their commercials are still SUV/Truck based, whereas, sure the Japanese car companies advertised their SUVs, but equally showed all of their line-up.
I think this is slowly changing, but I still think something has to be done to change Ford's image.

I will never buy a Ford. To me they are a Truck/SUV company that makes problamatic cars. I was told this when I was a kid that Ford sucked and actually seen it first hand. That's a perception of a non-average buyer/enthusist who likes high reving sporty cars.
Old 07-27-2006, 04:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As an ex-company man.....I HATE Ford!! Mis-managemnet is the name of the game there.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:01 AM

I can't complain, I have worked for an organization with 15 stores and a bunch of franchises which include Ford for the past 4 years, and have been at the Ford store the entire time. People are still buying Ford's like crazy which has allowed me to get a house and my S. Now if we purchase a Lexus, BMW, or Mercedes in the near future in the area, I wouldn't mind going there, but we are the biggest store in our organization. As stated above, people buy them due to the huge discounts. Would I buy one, probably not, but again, what the hell does Ford make that is in the same class as the S?
Old 07-27-2006, 05:59 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

[QUOTE=JonBoy,Jul 26 2006, 02:23 PM] What cars do excite you?
Old 07-27-2006, 06:01 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

PS....they are shutting down the Ranger Plant here in St Paul. How long has that product looked essentially the same as it does now??? Since about the late eighties?
Old 07-27-2006, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by IheartS2ks,Jul 27 2006, 05:05 AM
But their reliabilty compared to my hondas, well lets just say there isn't any.

I will never buy a Ford. To me they are a Truck/SUV company that makes problamatic cars. I was told this when I was a kid that Ford sucked and actually seen it first hand. That's a perception of a non-average buyer/enthusist who likes high reving sporty cars.
I've had my Mustang for almost 7 years. Not too many miles on it, but several trips each to TMS, TWS and MSR, so it's had its share of full throttle adventures. It's been in the shop for repairs three times: starter, alternator and door handle. The only thing not handled by the warranty was the door handle.

I can't say if mine is typical, but so far, so good. Whether I buy another Ford will depend on a couple of things:

1. What I'm looking for.
2. What they're selling.

To say I'll never buy this or never buy that, seems sort of pointless. If Ford came out with a great 2 seat sports car, I'd hate to miss the opportunity because 4 years ago I said I'd never buy a Ford.

Ford has their share of problems and they've been slow to address getting a bread and butter car right. The Fusion is largely based on the Mazda 6. Everything I've seen indicates that the 6 is a pretty decent car. Why reinvent the wheel? Take those extra R & D dollars and put them somewhere else to help with what will hopefully be an inventory of good cars.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:33 AM
Banned

I guess I have to say Toyota sucks in the same way as Ford. I haven't seen one car from that company I'd like to drive in years. I currently have a 03 Mustang GT, and IMHO, it is a far better car than the Toyota and Honda I have owned previously, despite being similarly priced. I don't really know how people can slam a company just because they don't make a car they want. It isn't like one person is a market unto themselves and every car maker needs to produce models solely for their consideration. And one has to question the logic of someone who insists a car maker can't make a decent car when the sales of said company say otherwise.

As far as "Bold Moves," it was the 05 Mustang that spurred the designs of the new Camaro and Challenger. The sales of the Mustang eclipse the numbers of every other sports coupe. Ford makes the best selling vehicle in America, period, and has held that title for over two decades. The Focus has been the best selling car in the world for a number of years. You can make all the excuses you want ("need incentives to sell," "blind brand loyalty," etc.) but the bottom line is Ford knows what they do, they do it well, and people recognize that.

Quick Reply: Why does Ford suck so bad?