Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Why is the new CTR so slow?

Old 12-07-2017, 05:17 AM

Received 401 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
My point is power is not a factor on a 1.6 mile track. A crusty old 91 Civic SI can be faster than a C7Z06 on an autocross course....I'm sure the Civic handles very well but put it on something like VIR full or COTA and it will get blown out of the water.
Power is a factor on a 1.6 mile course. Closest around here is MSR 1.7. You don't think power plays a role on that track?

Power is factor period, it's just less of a factor the tighter the course (aka, super tight autocross course).

I'm just glad I've moved on from FWD/AWD based 4 cylinder sporty economy cars, especially ones that cost $35k+. I miss the good old days of upper teens Civic Si's with the good ol' 1.6 that revved to 8k rpm and sounded pretty good.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:24 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I owned a 16 STI Limited for 12 months and only could force myself to drive it 2,300 miles before I sold it. I can safely tell you that was a bad car.
care to elaborate on why? Just curious cause I really like the STI but never really owned one long term.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:55 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by ishtori5
I don't understand the hate.
I personally strongly dislike it b/c it's the heaviest Civic available (that's not what a Type R is about) and because (to me) it's ugly as hell, and even if some people do like the appearance, you're fooling yourself that it won't look dated as hell in 5 years, especially after the black plastic trim has started to fade.

Do I think the Focus RS is a bad car? No. Would I get one if I was in the market for such type of car? Probably not. I'm just not a fan of it for various subjective reasons. That said, I really don't understand the title and the point of this thread. I think the title itself is a bit misleading and arguing what car is faster is really a moot point with today's technology. A Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE can out corner, out accelerate many cars costing twice, 3 times, or maybe even 4 times of its price. Does it mean the Camaro is better than those cars? Probably not. There is reasons those cars can be sold for 200k or 400k. I get this is car talk forum but it is not always about performance numbers. Sometime it is the intangible things in a car than make you tick.
I was a fan of the FoRS until I drove one. Hated the driving position. Maybe if I had more time I could get the seats and steering wheel just right, but I doubt it. As far as interior design and quality, the Civic Type R is actually my favorite in the segment lol. But never in my life would I buy something that ugly. It could hit 60 in 2 seconds and run a 10 second quarter mile. Do not care.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:11 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by boosted180sx
care to elaborate on why? Just curious cause I really like the STI but never really owned one long term.
The clutch engagement was really piss poor, I adjusted it as much as possible , got a clutch stop and the engagement point was still all the way at the top. The gas pedal is hyper sensitive in sport, sport sharp but the car is very sluggish in comfort mode so no good settings there. The motor was pretty anemic for a 2016 sporty sedan, fell flat on it's face after about 4000 RPM. I was scared to tune it for fear of blowing up and being denied a warranty claim. It under steered when pushed hard, the infotainment system was sluggish and awful, the interior did not warrant a high 30K MSRP. Dumb kids tried to race me and a lot of the owners were flat brim hat, vaping idiots.
The following users liked this post:
boosted180sx (12-08-2017)
Old 12-07-2017, 12:54 PM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

The clutch engagement was really piss poor, I adjusted it as much as possible , got a clutch stop and the engagement point was still all the way at the top. The gas pedal is hyper sensitive in sport, sport sharp but the car is very sluggish in comfort mode so no good settings there. The motor was pretty anemic for a 2016 sporty sedan, fell flat on it's face after about 4000 RPM. I was scared to tune it for fear of blowing up and being denied a warranty claim. It under steered when pushed hard, the infotainment system was sluggish and awful, the interior did not warrant a high 30K MSRP. Dumb kids tried to race me and a lot of the owners were flat brim hat, vaping idiots.
...but other than that, you're saying you liked it? :P

I'll just say I have a lot of friends who have owned STi's, but few of them for very long.
Old 12-07-2017, 03:28 PM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

Old 12-09-2017, 06:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k

I was a fan of the FoRS until I drove one. Hated the driving position. Maybe if I had more time I could get the seats and steering wheel just right, but I doubt it. As far as interior design and quality, the Civic Type R is actually my favorite in the segment lol. But never in my life would I buy something that ugly. It could hit 60 in 2 seconds and run a 10 second quarter mile. Do not care.
It takes getting used to...Eventually you find it though, and for autocross, I've come to really like it.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:48 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
I personally strongly dislike it b/c it's the heaviest Civic available (that's not what a Type R is about) and because (to me) it's ugly as hell, and even if some people do like the appearance, you're fooling yourself that it won't look dated as hell in 5 years, especially after the black plastic trim has started to fade.
Legit reasons for sure. Having said that, Both the FN2-R and FD2-R are both heavier than the regular MK8 Civic.

Also, I think sometimes things do evolve, whether we like it or not. Like you mentioned, the CTR is the heaviest of the whole Civic line up, but it also handles the best, with precise body control, sleek gearchange, close-ratio transmission, excellent brakes and still-brilliant ride. You know, qualities that are usually associated with Type R models. Having said that, not all Type R's are the samey. For instance, both the FN2 and FD2, despite both being 8th gen Civic, are quite different. The FD2 is a very hardcore track machine with very poor ride quality. The FN2 on the other hand has a much more compliant ride, but it's a much slower machine.

Other examples include BMW M, Ford Focus RS, etc. BMW M3 no longer uses bespoke NA engines. Instead, it uses a derivative of the N series engine with turbo. Ford Focus RS, after many years with FWD, went with AWD.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:17 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Chibo
The driver that started in the K20 Civic is significantly quicker at shifting. When he was driving the K20 Civic, it was very, very close to the CTR for most of the rolling race. When he drove the CTR, it pulled away from the K20 Civic fairly quickly.

Very obvious driver difference there...
Old 12-11-2017, 08:25 AM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

I figured it mostly came down to driver weight.
It was just a fun video though, seeing how live the K20 Civic was on the track versus how composed the CTR was.

Quick Reply: Why is the new CTR so slow?