Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

why shouldn't i get an '03-'06 E55 amg?

Old 12-04-2011, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why shouldn't i get an '03-'06 E55 amg?

I sold my '04 Suzuka a few months ago. Loved it. Now I'm convinced there is no replacement. I was thinking Elise SC, I was thinking Boxster S. Both of those are still more costly to own/maintain than the S and not practical for me with 2 kids and wife (who loathes me driving a 2-seater).

SO, I got to thinking about the E55. I know it's expensive to own/maintain...but it won't draw the ire of the wife, and it can be used practically as it has more seats. It seems like it has the mpg of your average everyday American SUV? I know it won't be as fun on the twisties as the S2k, and I know I wouldn't want to take it to the track (maybe once), but it seems like a reasonable compromise. I also know about the BMWs, but I like the understated-ness of the Benz. I've owned an '01 540i, but not the M5.

Please talk me into/out of this...my mind is wondering. PLUS, I'm currently driving a '08 Camry LE, so I'm susceptible to making rash decisions at the moment. The logical mind would say stick with the Camry. But umm...life is short...
Old 12-04-2011, 01:53 PM

It seems like those years were the dark ages for MB as far as quality goes

it is hard to argue with your points, though. I would still go M5 over E55, but I'm loyal to Bayern
Old 12-04-2011, 02:22 PM

Subscribed! I find myself searching for amg frequently.

Also, 550i is another option?
Old 12-04-2011, 02:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lopro
I sold my '04 Suzuka a few months ago. Loved it. Now I'm convinced there is no replacement. I was thinking Elise SC, I was thinking Boxster S. Both of those are still more costly to own/maintain than the S and not practical for me with 2 kids and wife (who loathes me driving a 2-seater).

SO, I got to thinking about the E55. I know it's expensive to own/maintain...but it won't draw the ire of the wife, and it can be used practically as it has more seats. It seems like it has the mpg of your average everyday American SUV? I know it won't be as fun on the twisties as the S2k, and I know I wouldn't want to take it to the track (maybe once), but it seems like a reasonable compromise. I also know about the BMWs, but I like the understated-ness of the Benz. I've owned an '01 540i, but not the M5.

Please talk me into/out of this...my mind is wondering. PLUS, I'm currently driving a '08 Camry LE, so I'm susceptible to making rash decisions at the moment. The logical mind would say stick with the Camry. But umm...life is short...
What did you love most about the S2000? If it was the overall sportiness I would look at something like an evo or sti. They have plenty of room and are more like a sports car compared to the E55.

I owned a IX for 4 years after my s2000 and it wasn't as nimble, but was faster with much better steering feel. It was also indestructible....at least until I smashed it into a wall. But, the drivetrain was bullet proof.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by s2kpdx01
Originally Posted by lopro' timestamp='1323037750' post='21209870

What did you love most about the S2000? If it was the overall sportiness I would look at something like an evo or sti. They have plenty of room and are more like a sports car compared to the E55.
Or 335xi if you want something German
Old 12-04-2011, 02:45 PM

Great car and superior to the evo/sti. Make sure you go look for yourself prior to purchase. Many of those cars were beaten up badly by owners who really don't respect their cars but love to plant the right foot!!
Old 12-04-2011, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by hondafrvr

I agree, but being as I don't particularly like the looks of the 550i and being that the 550i has 360hp vs the 470+hp of the Benz, I'm prone to throw caution to the wind. They almost seem like 2 different animals to me. For the longest, I've been drooling over the 550i, but the price of an older E55 is in the same territory, I thinks...?
Old 12-04-2011, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by lopro
Originally Posted by hondafrvr' timestamp='1323040966' post='21209970

I agree, but being as I don't particularly like the looks of the 550i and being that the 550i has 360hp vs the 470+hp of the Benz, I'm prone to throw caution to the wind. They almost seem like 2 different animals to me. For the longest, I've been drooling over the 550i, but the price of an older E55 is in the same territory, I thinks...?
To be honest, I didn't even look up the performance numbers. I just knew the 550i was a decent alternative to the 500hp M5.
But with a 100+ hp gap, doesnt make sense.

I just drove a GTO. First time driving 400hp/ft-lb. Insane. Would love to combine that with german handling/road feel
Old 12-04-2011, 05:55 PM

Received 81 Likes on 31 Posts

Why shouldn't you get an E55 (W211)?

Poor reliability - especially early model year cars. My '03 had numerous problems, including a bad intercooler pump, a fuel system leak that caused a strong odor of gas in the cabin, oil leaks and problems with instrument displays. None of these issues were rare among the E55 community. Many '03 cars even had a radiator setup that would leak coolant into the transmission. Also, the expensive Airmatic suspension system fails - it's not a matter of if, but when.

No fun on the twisties. The W211 E55 doesn't like to change direction. Body control is so poor, you will find yourself avoiding twisty roads. I found my wife's BMW X3 to be a superior handling car.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by waltk88
Why shouldn't you get an E55 (W211)?

Poor reliability - especially early model year cars. My '03 had numerous problems, including a bad intercooler pump, a fuel system leak that caused a strong odor of gas in the cabin, oil leaks and problems with instrument displays. None of these issues were rare among the E55 community. Many '03 cars even had a radiator setup that would leak coolant into the transmission. Also, the expensive Airmatic suspension system fails - it's not a matter of if, but when.

No fun on the twisties. The W211 E55 doesn't like to change direction. Body control is so poor, you will find yourself avoiding twisty roads. I found my wife's BMW X3 to be a superior handling car.
That's the sort of wisdom I was looking for...calms me down a bit. I test drove an E55 about 3 years ago, when they were way more pricey. Still a good looking car IMO, but the mind wanders...

Quick Reply: why shouldn't i get an '03-'06 E55 amg?