Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Winter/Daily car choices

Old 09-09-2012, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

y not get something awd? A 330 wont b much better in snow than ur s2k on blizzaks lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-09-2012, 06:03 PM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 05ap2ftw
y not get something awd? A 330 wont b much better in snow than ur s2k on blizzaks lol

get a wrx
Old 09-09-2012, 07:32 PM

I think the OP is more worried about salt damage to the car than dealing with really nasty winter roads. FWD or even RWD with a good set of snow tires is fine though FWD would be my preference over RWD. Plenty of people who live in snowy areas get by just fine with 2WD.

I would suggest what ever car/truck/suv strikes the OP's fancy in the given price range. I would also suggest getting something that does what the S2k does poorly. If there is a choice between more comfortable or more sporty, go for comfort since the S2k has sporty taken care of.

I'm not an SUV person so I would consider things like an Acura TSX or TL (the pre-beak models). A late model Fusion or Focus would be OK. Perhaps a Volvo since they are really nice on the inside. Anyway, I wouldn't stress out too much and if you are worried get a set of good snow tires. My folks live down a road that doesn't get plowed and is covered with snow and ice for much of the winter. FWD and a set of snow tires works wonders for them.

I would pass on the Subis. Nothing wrong but the price is high and the mileage is low. Rarely will the Subi be that much better in real world conditions (forget the Subi ads). Basically you will pay for abilities that you don't need 99% of the year and can be had with snow tires the other 1%. Also, be wary of Torsen or other torque sensing LSDs. A brake based or viscous or computer controlled system will be fine. The problem with torque sensing diffs is on ice they tend to either behave like an open diff thus you still have only one wheel getting power or they behave like a spool and the drive axle quickly starts shifting laterally all over the place. The viscous, brake or computer controlled systems can avoid these problems since they can be programmed (or do so inherently) to allow the wheels to turn independently in slow, low traction conditions.

Driving in the snow is more about the nut behind the wheel than anything else. Use your head and remember that ALL cars have AWBs (all wheel brakes).
Old 09-10-2012, 07:11 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Subaru Forrester is king of the snow.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:25 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by metros
If it snows stay at home.

We don't need anymore NoVA drivers with bald tires and rwd that don't have any snow driving experience.

Everytime there is a storm in this area the roads are clogged with BMW owners that slide everywhere or sit in one place with the gas pedal floored. The owners always seem dumbfounded that their awesome BMW isn't invincible in snow.
100% agree here with you.

If it's snowing-snowing, I won't go anywhere. In this area, it really doesn't "snow snow" very much, though. There's often plenty of slush and salt on the road, though. In that case, I still drive...and my S with All Seasons did fine in this. I think in this area, I'd be lucky if there were 10 "snow days" in any year that would warrant staying home. Light snow (when its salted) is really just fine to drive in...IMO. I just want to keep my car out of this. I currently live on the Metro, but commute out west...though that may change and and I may work on the Metro.

This really is about having a 2nd car that will be the workhorse. I want my S to stay in nice shape and not rust and keep the mileage from increasing quickly.

AWD would be nice, but it's just not needed and would be a waste of gas and money. I live in a more urban area and park in a locked parking garage...there won't be any back road snow to deal with.

WRX made my list...but if I get one it would be a wagon. My concern was finding an un-molested one!
Old 09-27-2012, 07:14 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, got a brand new '12 MazdaSpeed3, red.

The practicality and fun was a winning combo. It's not as much fun as my S2K, but it is still fun (and I still have my S2K!). With 280 lb-ft, it sure does feel fast, though a stock S2K is comparable in straight-line speed.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by steven975
Well, got a brand new '12 MazdaSpeed3, red.

The practicality and fun was a winning combo. It's not as much fun as my S2K, but it is still fun (and I still have my S2K!). With 280 lb-ft, it sure does feel fast, though a stock S2K is comparable in straight-line speed.
I loved my 11 ms3. Intake, fuel pump, testpipe tune and e85. Ur at about 320whp

Old 09-28-2012, 05:25 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

If I wanted a "fun" car that can handle crappy weather and crappy NoVa roads, I'd get a used Jeep. Its very different from an S, fun in a different way, great in winter, and also summer.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:32 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm sure most of the cars you've mentioned coupled with Blizzak (or like) tires would be fine for light/medium snow duty. I run them on my '03 Accord 2.4 during winter and have no problems, even in some hefty snow up here in CT
Old 09-28-2012, 05:51 AM

Almost any car with a set of good snow tires, plus just using your head will get you through a winter.

If you absolutely have to go out in heavy snow falls, get a 4x4 with some ground clearance.

Quick Reply: Winter/Daily car choices