Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.
View Poll Results: Which one?
2017 Wrangler (specify trim)
33.33%
2017 Tacoma (specify trim)
66.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Wrangler vs Tacoma (6sp)

Old 06-06-2017, 05:51 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Wrangler vs Tacoma (6sp)

Was wondering if anyone has experience driving either. I have never driven a Jeep, but I know there's a huge culture behind them.

They are in the same price range, and both are offered in manual. I think it's pretty cool that Toyota is offering the Tacoma in manual (did the older models come in 6spd?).
Old 06-06-2017, 05:54 AM

Also, what are the advantages/disadvantages to doing hard top vs soft top on the Jeep? I'm having trouble figuring out which one I'd prefer. I'm no stranger to convertibles, so soft top doesn't necessarily deter me right away, but the hard tops look "cooler".

*edit* Queue in people saying "lol can't believe ur cross shopping these 2, lol loser"
Old 06-06-2017, 05:55 AM

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Rubicon unlimited is my pick!! take the door and roof off and its a fun car. I have no idea what your purpose is for the trucks but that is my pick. Btw 2018 Jeep is getting a redesign so may want to wait and see how they look
Old 06-06-2017, 05:57 AM

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

I have a 98 Wrangler with a soft top and for my use I wish it had a hardtop. The soft top would make it a lot easier to take it off and store. The hardtop comes off in three pieces I think and are bulky when you want them off.
Old 06-06-2017, 06:00 AM

So the Toyota seems to be cheaper, still looking into them.

I'm surprised at how high up the Jeeps can get, 42k! How do the Jeeps respond to basic engine mods? Are they even worth it?
Old 06-06-2017, 06:05 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,602 Likes on 1,909 Posts

We had a '13 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (auto) with the hard top. It was my wife's DD, zero issues in the 2 1/2 years we had it, we took it from Michigan to Wyoming twice towing our camper.

Thoroughly enjoyed the Jeep, we'd probably still have it if we didn't need a more capable tow vehicle. Ours had the freedom panels on the hardtop, which were easy to take off and gave a nice open air feeling. Ours came with the soft top as well, but if never came out of the box, mainly because you had to remove the hardtop to do so and it's quite heavy. Soft top Jeeps are pretty noisy on the highway, the hardtop is a little bit quieter, but neither should be confused with being "quiet".

I love Tacomas too, so that's a tough choice. If you don't need the truck bed, I'd opt for the Wrangler.
Old 06-06-2017, 06:07 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,602 Likes on 1,909 Posts

Originally Posted by d1rtyc4r
So the Toyota seems to be cheaper, still looking into them.

I'm surprised at how high up the Jeeps can get, 42k! How do the Jeeps respond to basic engine mods? Are they even worth it?
The v6 in the Wrangler is a decent motor, I never felt it was under powered. I wouldn't waste much time with engine mods, maybe an exhaust but that's about it.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:53 PM

Looking at youtube comments and reading reviews online, I'm slowly starting to realize the offroading crowd are a bunch of d bags, jeez.
Old 06-06-2017, 03:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeep Wrangler has some crazy resale value. 90s Wranglers can be $7k+.

Only non-sports car that interests me. Manual transmission ONLY!
Old 06-06-2017, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What you'll really have to do is evaluate your need for a pickup truck. Will it be useful in your lifestyle? If you're having doubts, the Wrangler is definitely the way to go. I've spent considerable time in a 2016 with a 6spd, and it's a lot of fun with the top & doors off.

The Tacoma might take a little less effort to drive and shift, etc., as the Wrangler definitely handles like a purpose-built offroad vehicle. Keep in mind that if you think you might really want or need a pickup truck, Jeep is introducing one next year.

And always remember that with the Wrangler, you'll enjoy aftermarket support that is probably unequaled in the automotive world.

Quick Reply: Wrangler vs Tacoma (6sp)