Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

2008 24hr 2CV Race

Old 06-25-2008, 03:41 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2008 24hr 2CV Race

Broad Peak Racing makes its belated 2008 debut with the 24hr 2CV race at Snetterton on the 8/9/10 August.

Rather than hire a car this year, we have bought an old race car, last used circa 1998 and have set about rebuilding it completely to 2008 regulations and specifications.

Within an hour of the car arriving in the workshop it had been stripped and it had been ascertained that at some point a driver had rolled the car in a previous race! Unbelievably the engine would still turn over after so many years, but did have some dead mice in it once opened up.

All being well the car will make its testing debut in the middle of July for a shakedown at Snetterton, before it has a further three weeks of work to make sure it is ready for the official practice sessions, qualifying and then the race itself. The old engine has been sent away to be rebuilt into the first race spec engine and a spare is being built at the same time. The guys reckon that during the race they can change the engine in 6 minutes if needed.

Finishing 8th last year was a very good result, so in an effort to beat that I have assembled a crack team of drivers from s2ki and Pistonheads. quite how they will react to the blanket ban on alcohol before the race I am not sure

Anyhow from s2ki we have MarkB, returning to racing after a break because he was simply too good for all the other Locost drivers he was competing against, and Graham who has only just started racing his Caterham this year. From Pistonheads we have the one and only PetrolTed and a guy called James Hall who has previously raced Ultimas.

If anyone wants to come down and support the team, you'd be most welcome and you can expect at least a brew if you pop into the pits, in a worst case scenario you might find yourself strong armed into action doing some refuelling or time keeping

These races are great fun, though tiring and stressful, so it is always good to see some friendly faces during the race, and at the end of the day you've got 24hrs to make an appearance!

I'll update the thread with some pictures of the build once they get sent to me including the results of its trip to the paint shop for its bright orange respray, as well as testing photos and then some qualifying and race reports etc.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good stuff Rich - look forward to the updates.

Good luck
Old 06-25-2008, 03:48 AM
ADP

Ill see if I can make it along, if only to laugh at Stig Benson
Old 06-25-2008, 03:57 AM
ge2

Look at that beast!!!!

What have I let myself in for?

I'm quite nervous about the whole thing but really looking forward to it, no doubt I'm going to learn a thing or two over the course of the weekend.
Old 06-25-2008, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by RichUK,Jun 25 2008, 11:41 AM
I have assembled a crap team of drivers from s2ki and Pistonheads. quite how they will react to the blanket ban on alcohol before the race I am not sure
EFA

Originally Posted by RichUK,Jun 25 2008, 11:41 AM
Anyhow from s2ki we have MarkB, returning to racing after a break because he was simply too poor for all the other Locost drivers he was competing against
EFA

Old 06-25-2008, 04:25 AM

Shame it's at snetterton. It's a long haul for me.

Graham, make sure you can cope with the power
Old 06-25-2008, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by chilled,Jun 25 2008, 12:25 PM
Shame it's at snetterton. It's a long haul for me.

Graham, make sure you can cope with the power
About twice that of a standard car, I'll have you know.

A monster 47bhp.

In seriousness, the lower powered the car, the better the drivers have to be to remain competitive, you need to be able to keep the speed up without relying on big bhp to pull you out of trouble. As Rich keeps saying to me, every degree of steering is worth 1bhp, when you only have 47 to play with inthe first place, it's an art in itself just to remain in the running.

That's us ****ed then
Old 06-25-2008, 04:59 AM
ge2

It's going to be interesting, I'd probably find a 300bhp Caterfield easier

I'm going to find a good book for Revett Straight though
Old 06-25-2008, 05:00 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by ge2,Jun 25 2008, 01:59 PM
I'm going to find a good book for Revett Straight though
We're supplying a smoking jacket and pipe for you
Old 06-25-2008, 05:03 AM

You got the supply on Man nappies in yet?

Quick Reply: 2008 24hr 2CV Race