Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Beater-nomics - the deed is done

Old 10-23-2009, 05:44 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Beater-nomics - the deed is done

As I mentioned in my Alfa shunt thread, I've just been offered more than I expected for the 156 but this means I now need to find alternative wheels pronto.

I was/am thinking in terms of a reliable runaround for about £3.5k, but whilst nosing around the car lots this morning, I came across a beautiful looking Merc 300CE. It's an F plate so it's a 1988 or 89 car, ie. 20 years old.

However, there wasn't a spot of visible rust on it and, per my understanding anyway, Mercs of that vintage date back to an era when they were virtually bulletproof. I know, and I'm sure plenty of you on here know, of 20 year old Mercs that are still running around and looking good.

I took two better photos with my phone, but for whatever reason, they're corrupt so this is the only one ...

This car was up for £1,495, so against my budget, I'd have some money in the pot should something expensive need sorting.

My question is, am I better to spend my £3.5k on a reliable, Japanese, but slightly dull box, or be a bit different and go for a "proper" car? Personally, I'd rather be seeen running around in the Merc than in some anonymous Avensis, Accord or Mazda.

Does anyone disagree with my theory that Mercs from the 80s were better built than later cars? I haven't test driven this one yet, but my question relates to cars like it. Just as I scratched the Alfa itch, something inside wants to scratch the Merc itch ...
Old 10-23-2009, 06:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go for it. Never look back with regret that you didn't scratch that itch As far as I remember Merc only stopped building cars properly when they bought they bought Chrysler about 10 years ago.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:04 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Last of the good ones those - front wing looks a different colour to the door ...

Quick HPI check and why not, something different to bowl around in for a while.

My last house mate bought an old M535i BMW of the same age but for half that price and it ran for a year until it fell to bits, same as the 520i he had for 12 months before that.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:17 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

get it with a year's MOT, decent tyres, all brakes ok and nothing obviously in any way suspect with the engine and 'box

and you can't go far wrong

then, resist the temptation to fix everything that could be fixed - the odd dash bulb, bits of trim, etc or you will spend more on the car than it is worth

you could probably get the car for £1200 cash (I'd offer them a grand)

not exactly a high risk proposition

I'd say your downside would be limited to £500 (purchase price less what it might fetch in parts/ebay)
Old 10-23-2009, 07:48 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

The W124 was a proper M-B indeed.

You don't state the mileage, but they will do interstellar.

Like Gad say, if it checks out, what yo gotta lose?

Might have another 10 years in it, especially if it's the old two-valve head. The four-valves were occasionally troublesome.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by gaddafi,Oct 23 2009, 04:17 PM
get it with a year's MOT, decent tyres, all brakes ok and nothing obviously in any way suspect with the engine and 'box

and you can't go far wrong
One of my friends moved up to Edinburgh from London a few years ago and bought a similar aged Merc to get him around. Sold it a year later for the same price he'd paid for it.

Interesting comment about not getting carried away fixing things. I suppose my only concern is that something major is waiting to go and does so torpedoing any sale.

Good spot on the front left wing. Looks like a respray or replacement ...
Old 10-23-2009, 07:50 AM
Banned

get in a ramp and check out the exhaust and bottom of the rad as well

cheapest pre-purchase check you can get is to put it through an MOT test at a garage you trust - and give the tester a drink
Old 10-23-2009, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Nick Graves,Oct 23 2009, 04:48 PM
The W124 was a proper M-B indeed.

You don't state the mileage, but they will do interstellar.
I was just nosing about to get a feel for prices so didn't look in the car. The inside looked tidy enough and it's of course an auto. Probably reeks of sour milk or dead cats ...

I'm aware these things can do huge mileages ...
Old 10-23-2009, 07:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Shiskine,Oct 23 2009, 03:49 PM
Interesting comment about not getting carried away fixing things. I suppose my only concern is that something major is waiting to go and does so torpedoing any sale.
make a checklist of the majors - it won't be long

for example:

engine - smoking, noises, mayo, leaks
box - slow to engage (assume it's an auto), slipping when changing, don't forget to test hot and cold and don't forget reverse, fluid colour, leaks
exhaust - no rust, no leaks, check carefully at the manifold
central locking - either works perfectly or it doesn't
heater - ditto
wipers - ditto
discs and pads - easy to check for condition, lifespan
check warning bulbs haven't been removed rather than blown
headlamps (every other light will be cheap and easy to replace a bulb)

if the engine and gearbox pass as satisfactory, it's just fate if something major goes

but far more often than not, the signs are there - buyers just don't spot them or choose to ignore them

after that, you are into trim, and this is where it's easy to get silly fixing things
Old 10-23-2009, 08:02 AM

Quick Reply: Beater-nomics - the deed is done