Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Ceramic paint protection

Old 03-07-2016, 10:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Ceramic paint protection

Do any of you know much about, or have experience with, Gtechniq (or any other brand) ceramic paint protection products?

I'm about to book in to have the front of my car tidied up and was thinking about having the bumper covered with one of the protective films, but wondered if these products are any good instead, especially as films aren't a practical solution for the wings and bonnet, and I've read a lot about their appearance being a bit dull.

Cheers,
FB
Old 03-07-2016, 10:53 AM
Community Organizer

I am going to get ceramic coating applied to my S in a few weeks time so can let you have some pictures, provide feedback, etc then if you are not in any panic to see results.
Old 03-07-2016, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by blue monster
I am going to get ceramic coating applied to my S in a few weeks time so can let you have some pictures, provide feedback, etc then if you are not in any panic to see results.
Absolutely! Thanks. Have you researched it much? What brand are you going for?
Old 03-07-2016, 11:39 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by Fatbloke
Originally Posted by blue monster
Absolutely! Thanks. Have you researched it much? What brand are you going for?
Yes, have been looking around for a while and am going to go for Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light which is the newer version of the GtechniqC1 crystal lacquer.

Most detailers I have been in contact with use & recommend the Gtechniq stuff so I am going to see how it looks after this is applied
Old 03-07-2016, 02:33 PM

Gtechniq is the name that seems to come up most, so I think that's the way I'll go too. I take it you're getting it done by a detailer, rather than doing it yourself?
Old 03-07-2016, 03:50 PM

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts

I use them on the buggy for dirt repellance on bodywork and glass, superb stuff. However, when it comes to stonechips, they're nothing like a film, however, they do stop smaller stuff and scratches/swirls - which films tend to be worse for than standard paint.
Old 03-07-2016, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've applied Kamikaze at home and it turned out great. 6 months in and it still looks fresh, water beading has not declined. Would highly recommend! I used ISM coat and apply infinity wax once in awhile. I know some people apply a coat of Miyabi and then ISM for a even wetter look. ISM alone is already nice. Heaps DIY friendly, did it in my driveway.
Old 03-08-2016, 01:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just be aware these "ceramic" sealnts are not going to prtect you from stone chips
Blue Monster and I had a chat about this at the weekend
My suggestion was self healing PPF to the front and sealant to the back
Once Jaffa is resprayed that's the route I'll go
I have self healing film ALL over the McLaren and it works very well, however it ain't cheap and I couldn't justify it on an S2000
Old 03-08-2016, 01:40 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by Fatbloke
Gtechniq is the name that seems to come up most, so I think that's the way I'll go too. I take it you're getting it done by a detailer, rather than doing it yourself?
Going to get a detailer to sort it out after he's got rid of any swirls, imperfections, etc in the paint so should be top notch.

Also, going to have a look in to the cost of getting the front covered in film as per Mikey K's suggestion.
Old 03-08-2016, 06:34 AM

Thanks everyone.

I'm definitely going to get the ceramic coating done, probably by a pro as I'm a ham-fisted clutz.

I'm still on the fence about the film - I've read mixed feedback about the finish, cut lines, resistance to swirls and yellowing, so bearing in mind that my car does so few miles, I might give it a miss and just get the front end repainted again when it turns 20 years old

Quick Reply: Ceramic paint protection