Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Drivers dream days...

Old 08-14-2007, 04:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drivers dream days...

My girlfriend has bought me a drivers dream day gift for this Friday somewhere near Stratford upon Avon.

Its the Lambo Gallardo one - has anyone ever done one of these days and if so, what was it like?
Old 08-14-2007, 04:42 AM

I've done something similar - a so-called Supercar Challenge, where I got to drive an XKR, an Exige, a Noble M12, a Dodge Viper and a Lambo Diablo at the track at Prestwold Hall near Leicester.

Expect to get a few familiarisation laps in a hot hatch and then 4-5 laps in the Gallardo. If you're lucky, the instructor won't make you change gear at 4-5K rpm as seems to be the case on some of these types of day (especially where there is housing nearby and they have to worry about noise levels).
Old 08-16-2007, 12:41 AM

I did one this past Sunday, Drivers Dream day with the Ferrari and Lambo. I got to drive a Murchielago and a 360 Spyder at Bruntingthorpe in Leicester.

The cars were unreal and a little daunting at first when you put your foot down but the instructors were very good and made sure you get the best out of the car (The grip you can achiveve you wouldn't believe!)

The organisation wasn't great at Leicester, there must have been a couple of hundred people with experience days and there were an assortment of cars (TVR Tuscan, 911 Turbo, GT Continental, Gallardo, Ultima GTR) but I was 45 mins late to get my first drive so quite a bit of hanging about

You can pay and drive, or be driven, in the selection of cars and you get a 'high speed' passenger ride where a young lady takes you round in a Subaru WRX Estate and canes the bells out of it!

Course is ok, surface not great and they have put a few cones out to simulate a chicane but you don't really see them until the last minute and they do creep up quick!

Overall a very enjoyable day and the weather held which was lucky, you should have a great time and enjoy youself.
Old 08-18-2007, 03:57 AM

Well, it was a pretty good day it has to be said.

On arrival (after a bit of waiting around and registration) We were taken around the track in a Subaru Impreza STi (2 laps) and given a quick briefiing.

We then stood around waiting to be called to our various cars, luckily I didnt have to wait too long and took a few photo's in the mean time. Once called to the car - we had another quick briefing where the instructor said "I don't mind you using all 500bhp of the car", but were warned if we span we were not allowed to continue. Good that Gallardo has 4wd. It also had e-gear, which was a nice change - I liked it.

The two drivers before me went very slowly, so I was a bit apprehensive on the first lap, but found the car so easy to drive and I was bombing it around on the final 3 laps (4 laps in total).

I got a score of 36/40 for my driving, so it seems a good score, but I didn't compare to anyone else.

After the 4 laps in the Gallardo, I was taken around in the Impreza on a high speed passenger ride, and that was fun. They must go through some tyres!! The impreza did seem to lean quite a bit in the corners but the grip was phenomenal.

I've got some more photo's I'll post up later..
Old 08-18-2007, 04:58 AM

They don't let you have another go after the high speed passenger ride do they? Or at least they didn't after the one I did, for obvious reasons I think.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:59 AM

No, they didn't.

If anyone does one of these, do not take out the optional
Old 08-22-2007, 02:20 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Some nice motors there..
Old 08-22-2007, 02:35 AM

Looks like the 996 has got different wheels on the front to the rear!

Interestingly, seeing the F355 next to one of the more modern ones (I can't tell whether it's a 360 or a 430), I think I prefer the 355.....
Old 08-22-2007, 03:02 AM

I'm off to Prestwold Hall tomorrow for a DB9 day hope it stays dry.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LL - It's a 360 Modena

I keep meaning to book my Aston day with these people. However I phoned yesterday to book it they said they were in the middle of a office move and woudl take my details and call me back. Before I had time to real off my name, number etc the line went dead. I'll try again next week.

Quick Reply: Drivers dream days...