Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

MR2 Turbos

Old 01-06-2007, 11:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MR2 Turbos

I've been getting increasingly tempted by the idea of getting something a bit cheaper that I'm happier chucking round a track at every possible oppurtunity, so looking at my list of 250bhp ish RWD japanese cars that can be had for
Old 01-06-2007, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont know about the turbo, but ive just brought an N/A MR2 as a budget track car. Still working on it set up wise, new bushes,geometry ect, but i have managed to work out its going to be a bit of a handfull. In the wet lift off oversteer is not what you would call progressive. Its not so apparant in the dry but i obviously havent been at track pace yet time will tell. Traction coming out is very good though.

It is how ever a very big grin, its not gonna be the fastest thing around the track but it will be enjoyable trying

Plus Ebay is full of very cheap parts and upgrades
Old 01-06-2007, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by lucky77,Jan 6 2007, 08:56 PM
It is how ever a very big grin, its not gonna be the fastest thing around the track but it will be enjoyable trying
Fun is obviously the idea, and not necessarily being the fastest thing around a track.

Is that a Mk1 or Mk2? I know the Mk1s are meant to be good, but they're pretty old cars now. I reckoned the Mk2 N/A would probably feel a bit too underpowered after the S2K, though I've never been keen on turbos.

I suppose handling is all relative, and the S2K still has a bit of a reputation as a death trap in the wet.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:45 PM

Mk2 N/A would probably feel a bit too underpowered after the S2K
I had one before the S, I only had it 8 months before I got bored, even when you floor it it didnt really move.
Old 01-06-2007, 04:30 PM

Dembo - Might be worth asking Bibbs as he had a turbo before his S. I don't think they are quite as bad as your friend made out, but they do deserve some respect, and not only because they are mid engined.
Old 01-06-2007, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Dembo,Jan 6 2007, 01:12 PM
Is that a Mk1 or Mk2? I know the Mk1s are meant to be good, but they're pretty old cars now. I reckoned the Mk2 N/A would probably feel a bit too underpowered after the S2K, though I've never been keen on turbos.
its a MK2 with the 158bhp 3SGE engine. To be honest its quicker than i thought it would be . Its more than enough to make good progress. Have manged to scavange the bigger brakes and Bilstein suspension from a later turbo for peanuts as well.

Though im sure a turbo one would be good fun , having the extra ponies on tap
Old 01-07-2007, 06:09 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes bibbs is the guy to ask
Old 01-07-2007, 06:23 AM

They are not that bad .. it's just most peeps go from FWD hatches to MR2's cause they are cheap now and lift off overstear is harded to catch with an engine in the back.

Idealy, go for an early 'Rev3' turbo model, they were 245bhp stock, but can be wound up to about 280 with just a boost valve (
Old 01-07-2007, 10:30 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I had one too. Handling is more limited than the s2k, but the power delivery is certainly no where near as bad as you mate seems to be saying. Chassis wise, they can be a bit snappy, but not horrendous. As with the s2k, it depends very much on tyres and geometry. Being mid engined they'll always be more inclined to spin, when things go wrong, but not that much more than the s2k. If you are used to driving your s2k on the track, as you are, you'll have no problems with one.

Bibbs is right to say go for a rev3 if you can. The engine is slightly more powerful to start with, but more importantly, the delivery is less laggy than the earlier cars.

Loads of tuning parts available for them, but the suspension is not particularly sophisticated and will always end up being the limiting factor of the car.

But overall, i think you'd enjoy one as a budget track car.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:46 PM

Thanks. That sounds quite positive.

Quick Reply: MR2 Turbos