Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

New Rag top needed

Old 03-29-2008, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Rag top needed

So seven months into first time parenting I have come to the conclusion that having driven the S less than 200 hundred miles in 6 months does not make financial sense (slow learner). So I am now thinking about the age old conundrum faced by many here; what do to next?

What we have at the moment:

52 plate S2000 (22K on clock)
53 plate BMW 330 Sport (81K on clock)
97 plate VW Polo 1.4CL (16K on clock)

All have FSH

The Polo was bought from Grandad as the pootle car but has not endeared to wife due to lack of oomph etc. Pimpmobile is my daily carpark though have now discovered that the train can get me everywhere around the country albeit with sweaty fat people late but, with less miles on car.

So we want a car that can accomodate four people and is a rag top with performance. To do this we would look to get rid of the S (obviously ) and the BMW. Ideally I'd like to part ex both cars which would be circa
Old 03-30-2008, 12:03 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Only you know the answer to this

I am not keen on 4 seater convertables, but the 2 you have listed would be good, the M3 being the choice.

Keeping the BMW and buying an RX8 doesn't seem to fit with your soft top plan?

Your S is prob worth 13 ish k and not sure about the Polo, but a Decent M3 convertable can be had for 18-20k

Personally i'd be keeping the S and selling the other 2! Having a 4 seat convertable purely so you can run the kids around might not be good as they tend not to have a lot of space at all.

Keep the S for your own fun time and get a bigger saloon workhorse for the family
Old 03-30-2008, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by MB,Mar 30 2008, 08:03 AM
Your S is prob worth 13 ish k
Not as a trade in. Trade would be
Old 03-30-2008, 02:25 PM

Took the S out today for a run to the supermarket for more nappies; put another 30 miles on it! Wanted to go fast but too many old people out in Civics doing 30mph on country twisties

I'd love to keep the S but just can't justify it sitting in the garage for months on end. I do too many miles for it to be my daily drive and unless someone here says different you cannot put a front facing child seat in it.

Test driving a 04 S4 Cab later this week and just waiting to see a M3 Cab near us come up for sale to drive.

Looking for *20K ish miles on clock hence
Old 03-30-2008, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by s3dgley,Mar 30 2008, 10:25 PM

I'd love to keep the S but just can't justify it sitting in the garage for months on end. I do too many miles for it to be my daily drive and unless someone here says different you cannot put a front facing child seat in it.
You can get use a forward facing child seat as soon as your child has been sitting up unaided for 3month (typically 9-12 months I guess).

I've consider a 4 seater cab too, but came to the conclusion I would feel a right twat driving one... so got an Elise instead.

Ceri has the CR-V which suffices as a good family car, but we will be buying a third runaround for me when we decide to have a second sprog.

Nick

Old 03-30-2008, 11:58 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Drac,

PX - 13.5k

I think 12 ish would be realistic for a dealer.

http://www.whatcar.com/newautotrader/Valua...530&miles=22000

Ok that link is broke!
Old 03-31-2008, 01:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not quite so showy and performance orientated as your other choices, but what about an VW EOS 3.2 with DSG... OK drive and practical. It has a really usable boot even with the lid down and rear seat access is good too - a major factor when putting children in.

When my daughters were very young the Audio convertible I had was a major PITA to put child seats in and out.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:35 AM

EOS interesting, pretty good spec' as standard but not to my liking.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:44 AM

Our firstborn is due in 3 weeks and I did look at an M3 way back as a possible replacement.

The advice I got from parents on the BM3W board was to think long and hard as it gets increasingly difficult to get the child into the car as they get bigger, with a 2 door. It's OK if the roof's down, I guess, but that's not exactly ideal for the UK climate.

Factor in the cost of a BMW warranty too, given BMW labour rates and the cost of spare parts if something does go pop - and they're not cheap for the M3 now....

I also considered the RX8 although 'Er Indoors wasn't keen. It seemed to make sense to me, albeit it's a bit thirsty. But if the need for a soft-top is negotiable, there are lots of other options out there. If your own 330 is only a 2 door but you like the car, why not swap it for a 4 door? The E90 330 seems to get good reviews, with the engine apparently being a bit of a star.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:55 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Four seater soft tops are a bit grim

Especially those with sporting pretensions

Saab or Audi make better 'touring' soft tops imo

Quick Reply: New Rag top needed