Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Semi skimmed //M

Old 04-22-2016, 12:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't imagine any car of reasonable cost in cloth. That's my problem these days. In fairness, Chilled says his was loaded so I assume it's leather and with a good deal.
Old 04-23-2016, 12:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really don't get the attraction of leather over a high quality, contemporary synthetic material - or an alternative natural material such as the wool available in some BMW i3 interior options.

A leather seating surface in modern car is merely another sop to the aspirations of the social climber.

It's analogous with the rural home buyer who must live in a stone built property. Why were rural homes built from stone? It was a cheap material, usually extracted from a hole nearby. The material enjoyed a rebrand and became a desirable 'option' for the uninformed, 'premium' homebuyer,
Old 04-23-2016, 12:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Early cars , now classed as vintage and or veteran, had leather as standard as it was readily available - cloth seats were an inexpensive upgrade. Strange how things change,
Old 04-23-2016, 01:37 AM

Leather is standard, there's no cloth on the M135i in the UK. Leather is optional in the eurozone though.

Spec is
metallic paint
sport auto
Leather
Harmon Kardon
Pro Nav
Comfort pack (cruise control with brake, rear sensors)
Front seat heaters
Adaptive suspension

It's 424 a month inc VAT, 2k in, 36 months, 10k miles. Can't remember GFV. I'm happy with that. Others aren't.

And I pick it up in just under an hour.
Old 04-23-2016, 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by Polemicist
I really don't get the attraction of leather over a high quality, contemporary synthetic material - or an alternative natural material such as the wool available in some BMW i3 interior options.

A leather seating surface in modern car is merely another sop to the aspirations of the social climber.

It's analogous with the rural home buyer who must live in a stone built property. Why were rural homes built from stone? It was a cheap material, usually extracted from a hole nearby. The material enjoyed a rebrand and became a desirable 'option' for the uninformed, 'premium' homebuyer,
Get a grip pole. It's leather. Sop to the aspirations of a social climber? Feck me

It cleans easy, sells better, handles heating better. It's exactly what an angler needs. Because thats where it spends most of its time. Feckin social climber you tit
Old 04-23-2016, 05:02 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

And except for idiots like Honda who peerforaate it laake a Tetleh tea bag, it better withstands getting pissed on when the roadster is parked in British Weather. Only one of The Design Wankers with zero common-sense would specify synthetic fabric in a roadster. Or "leatherette" (PVC pretending to be leather & as irritating as a false blonde) which tends to crack if one sits upon a seat that has just been covered in snow. I made that mistake in my X-1/9...

Of course, it IS social climbing as is owning any 3er without a straight-six in it. Especially with M-Theory wheels, add-ons to hide the fact it's really a latter-day Cortina 1.6L & has poverty-spec engine from a MINI or whatever.
Old 04-23-2016, 05:32 AM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

I like leather, its wipe clean and smells nice when cleaned and treated.

I dont have any social climbing aspirations though. In fact i'm anti social
Old 04-23-2016, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by cheshire_carper
Get a grip pole. It's leather. Sop to the aspirations of a social climber? Feck me

It cleans easy, sells better, handles heating better. It's exactly what an angler needs. Because thats where it spends most of its time. Feckin social climber you tit
Ha ha. Post-rationalisation if ever I heard it.

I could appreciate the appeal of Nappa leather in acar, if it was from a company like Bridge of Weir, but the coated (Chinese?) shite in the vast majority of modern cars has less appeal to me than '70s Naughahide!

My 21 year old Chevy Astro with Scotchguard'd, chunky velour upholstery is pretty much unmarked, courtesy of its Van-der-Graaf-generator-competing material properties. And it cleans very easily, doesn't require heating, and holds one in place as if there was hook-and-loop fastening on one's ass.

I imagine it wouldn't be quite so easy to wipe off (or lick off?) errant seminal fluid from fabric car upholstery, as it would be from leather, but as I'm not given to 'automotive love affairs', it isn't an issue for me.

An interior like this would be my choice...

Old 04-23-2016, 06:24 AM

Post rationalisation? You really seek something that's not there. Who mentioned nappa? And this is a 20k estate not a feckin supercar. Good god pole, have a feel of your noggin will you
Old 04-23-2016, 10:40 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Polemicist

wtf?!!

Quick Reply: Semi skimmed //M