Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

SLK 55 AMG Test

Old 06-01-2009, 01:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SLK 55 AMG Test

As I posted the other week, I was at Merc World a couple of weeks ago and ended up looking at the SLK's as a possible replacement for the scoob.

They are pretty cars, convertible which I really miss, RWD, and decent performance on paper. The sales lady mentioned that a second hand 55 AMG might fit in my price bracket so we arranged a test on their track at Brooklands for last Saturday.

TBH I was pretty underwhelmed.

It sounds beautiful when you floor it, and there's no doubt that it has toys and gizmo's and brilliant brakes. We drove it in automatic mode, in sports mode, and it was "ok".

Sure it has got power, but it feels a bit lazy to pick up and the accelerator is floor mounted which I find weird (although I'm sure I'd get used to it). I didn't get out of the car grinning and wondering whether I could afford one.

We only had 20 minutes or so on their track, and I have asked them to arrange a road test because it's a more realistic representation - how does it deal with B roads - I have no doubt it would deal with open flowing A roads nicely, and motorways etc., but the twisty B roads which are such fun? I'm really not sure.

As soon as I got back in the Subaru it felt so much more alive - and as for the 7 at Pembrey yesterday, well that was dancing. I couldn't imagine the Merc feeling like that. Perhaps an indication of my lack of driving ability, or perhaps I'm just not used to the big engine stuff (I hated a big engine Westie I tested), but unless the road test proves amazing I doubt I'd be buying one.

FWIW it's very difficult to arrange a test drive in one, even with a dealership the size of Merc World they didn't seem all that interested and don't have one in the group anywhere.

Oh and it's definitely a girls car - it just doesn't look right with a guy driving it!
Old 06-01-2009, 01:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Must admit the brief road drive I had in one I came to the same conclusion.
It is not a focussed at the S (particularly mine)
It is more of a small GT
Old 06-01-2009, 01:41 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

It's about wafting along in comfort, style, and powwwarrr. I suspect B-roads are not its natural habitat.

Get your thrills from the 7.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:29 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Jo, I don't think there's anything wrong with your driving ability - I'm sure the gentlemen also racing 7s aren't deliberately slowing down in a terribly patronising 1950s way for you!

No, I'm afraid the Germans are Power-Crazed and FRED-obsessed these days. Installing a bigger engine is NOT how to make a car go faster; in fact, I'd wager you'd prefer the 350SLK on a B Road; they're not a BAD car, by any stretch. And FREDs generally dial-in characteristics, disguising the vehicle's natural ones. Or protecting you from them, more probably.

There are other factors; M-B use a large castor angle and very little camber on the steering; quite at odds with the British and Japanese designers. Obviously, teh former prefer Autobahn stability, whereas the wiggly-road island-races need wigglier cars.

No; cars such as the Subarus are a far more suitable compromise for our roads. It's the compactness, the driving dynamics and the fact that they (just!) fall within my self-imposed mass limit of 1.5 tonnes; anything more than that tends to feel like a barge. Anything closer to 1-tonne is great fun, but the bucking and NVH issies may become triesome on journeys.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:45 AM

Go drive the M Roadster Jo
Old 06-01-2009, 02:55 AM

Yep M Roadster is next on the list and 2nd hand prices are far more favourable !

I felt the Merc was great if you wanted a comfortable drop top which also had the potential for fun. If, however, you want a fun car which is also comfortable then the balance was just wrong.

I also didn't really like MercWorld - would get tiresome having to deal with all that every time you dropped your car off for a service!
Old 06-01-2009, 02:56 AM

Oh and Nick, I suspect it is the opposite from the gentleman racers - after all who wants to be beaten bya girl
Old 06-01-2009, 04:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dreamer,Jun 1 2009, 10:56 AM
after all who wants to be beaten bya girl
Old 06-01-2009, 04:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you not got any of his other pcitures
Old 06-01-2009, 05:50 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Paper Lawyer,Jun 1 2009, 12:29 PM

Oh dear; another Dreamerism for the list!

Quick Reply: SLK 55 AMG Test