Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Snake oil or.........?

Old 08-22-2011, 02:58 AM

Received 70 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Snake oil or.........?

Came across this while bored today. It sounds plausible but I have my doubts.

http://www.aspirationenhancementsystems.com/
Old 08-22-2011, 03:21 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

So they use on board electrolysis to generate hydrogen and oxygen that is then added to the fuel mix when required.

I can see the addition of oxygen and hydrogen to the fuel mix giving added power and economy, but the electrolysis will require electricity which the engine has to generate and will therefore consume power.

I suspect its snake oil and they are claiming that the alternator is always producing electricity whether its wanted or not, so the power required for the electrolysis is 'free'.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by lower
So they use on board electrolysis to generate hydrogen and oxygen that is then added to the fuel mix when required.

I can see the addition of oxygen and hydrogen to the fuel mix giving added power and economy, but the electrolysis will require electricity which the engine has to generate and will therefore consume power.

I suspect its snake oil and they are claiming that the alternator is always producing electricity whether its wanted or not, so the power required for the electrolysis is 'free'.
Thanks for the explanation, it is much as I suspected.
Does this differ significantly from water injection and have you seen the size of the HGV installation?
Old 08-22-2011, 04:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is an idea I came up with back when I was 12 after I stuck 2 probes attached to a scalextric powerpack into some water.

Back then I didn't know about conservation of energy or enthalpy of combustion etc.

I 'suppose' it would work since the alternator is running constantly.

However, you'd be faaaaaaaaar better off with a clutch type alternator.

That is unless the hydrogen produces a higher efficency combustion cycle that raises efficiency to a greater level than petrol + parastic draw of the alternator would alone.

This type of system is completely different to water injection which is used to cool the charge and prevent detonation.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:03 AM

Thanks,I just put 2 + 2 together and came up with H2O and just wondered.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:12 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultra_Nexus
This is an idea I came up with back when I was 12 after I stuck 2 probes attached to a scalextric powerpack into some water.

Back then I didn't know about conservation of energy or enthalpy of combustion etc.

I 'suppose' it would work since the alternator is running constantly.

However, you'd be faaaaaaaaar better off with a clutch type alternator.

That is unless the hydrogen produces a higher efficency combustion cycle that raises efficiency to a greater level than petrol + parastic draw of the alternator would alone.

This type of system is completely different to water injection which is used to cool the charge and prevent detonation.
I think someone tried something similar. Only they found a big dynastart and a voltage accumulator more efficient. Oh yes; Honda & Toyota make a couple of them.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:31 PM

I guesss that it is not the big breakthrough that they claim then.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doesn't seem to be.

More importantly though - tell me more about this "Snake Oil" stuff! Does it come in S2000 fitment and what gains will I see?
Old 08-24-2011, 07:36 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by keith2.2
Doesn't seem to be.

More importantly though - tell me more about this "Snake Oil" stuff! Does it come in S2000 fitment and what gains will I see?
There you go Keith:

I suppose it had to exist, didn't it?
Old 08-24-2011, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by keith2.2
Doesn't seem to be.

Indeed it does!
It is sold all around the world under several names such as Spoon,Mugen, BYS etc and will instantly transform the S2k into a fire breathing monster that will annihilate all other cars on the road.
The WHP will at least triple just by fitting a Spoon sticker and acceleration 0-100 will be sub 3secs!
The Space Shuttle was improved beyond the designers wildest expectations just by fitting a Mugen master cylinder sock.
Don't delay, part with your hard earned cash today!

Quick Reply: Snake oil or.........?