S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Car Talk - Non S2000 (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-talk-non-s2000-174/)
-   -   Test drives booked (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-talk-non-s2000-174/test-drives-booked-595013/)

chilled 05-10-2008 02:39 PM

Test drives booked

Had a good day today. not only a successfully short trip into town to buy stuff, had a fruitful visit to a BMW dealer and the Lotus dealer. Next weekend I've got a test drive booked in an E46 M3 and the following weekend I'm having back to back test drives of a 111R, Exige and Exige S. The exige can be remapped to 216bhp, so has become a more realistic proposition for me.

Having looked at a lot of beaters I've realised that I can't settle for a crap beater. There's too much thought in the decision and I can't just go with my head. So I've come to a realistic compromise. It will still cost, but will be interesting. I'm going to run cars for 6 months for a while. I have an E46 M3 Coupe and Elise sized itch to get rid of.

So rather than sticking 24k miles on a car in a year, I'm going to put 12k miles on a car, then change it and put 12k miles on the other. I realise that the M3 and Elise are opposite directions to each other from an S2000, but both have their appeal to me.

MB 05-10-2008 09:38 PM

I was v tempted by an M3.

I know they are common as muck but I do like the understated nature of them. I got utterly punished by one in a straight line (in the S) so they really do move. Can you stretch to a CSL? I think this would be next on my list. If I ever tire of mine!

Interested to hear your thoughts, as I never drove one.

Your chop and change plan means you have to look for a very good car, which will sell on (right colour / spec / miles / history) and more importantly, a good price.

This is how I do it!

Not sure on BMW residuals by Loti seem pretty good.

220 bhp in an exige is plenty. Been looking at 250 for a laugh though.

One word of warning on the Exige is that it is quite impractical. I would use it every day if I worked in the UK and a normal working week, but it would get frustrating. It's not the comfort, that's no probs - it's the visibility.

Reversing is a bloody nightmare. You can't see a thing, and i've had to get out a few times (which takes a while) and see what's behind.

Kelk 05-11-2008 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by MB,May 11 2008, 05:38 AM
and i've had to get out a few times (which takes a while)

:rolleyes: n00b ;)

MB 05-11-2008 12:54 AM

:D

4 point harnesses...

I'm getting normal belts added too!

lower 05-11-2008 01:12 AM

What are you going to use as a track car mark?

chilled 05-11-2008 01:14 AM

The Exige I'll be taking out has the Sport and Super Sport packs. And it has aircon, which is what I want.

My concern with the M3 is that it'll just feel too big and unwieldy. Whereas the lotus is clearly just that's too impractical on a day to day basis. But we'll see.

MB 05-11-2008 02:15 AM

Elise is more practical - I think you can see out the back?

chilled 05-11-2008 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by lower,May 11 2008, 10:12 AM
What are you going to use as a track car mark?

Whatever car I get. I'll track the M3 if I get one, and you can be certain I'll track the Lotus. I need a car that I can drive to the nurburgring, thrash it around the ring, then drive back.

I'll probably hire the occasional caterham though.

chilled 05-11-2008 02:32 AM

You can see out of the back of the Elise, and also there's a small amount of visibility in the non-s exige.

MB 05-11-2008 02:38 AM

Just get a CSL :)

I think i'd be happy driving to the Ring and back in the Loti, but obviously it would be much nicer in an M3.

The seats are comfy enough for 3 hour stints. You will have more padding than me though :D

Noise wise, I would be wearing earplugs on a long journey. Much over 60 and it get's a bit much, over a long drive.