Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Today I Bought....

Old 03-22-2018, 11:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I really like these, they look so aggressive and you recognise them instanly when you see one on the road.

Think I'd happily have one of these over the M4 if I had to choose!
Old 03-23-2018, 12:59 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I pick it up at around 3.30pm. Can't wait!

I looked at the M4. They just don't do it for me. Too big and too much of a blunt instrument for me.
Old 03-23-2018, 02:23 AM

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

Sooo jealous - enjoy!
Old 03-23-2018, 04:38 AM

3 more hours
Old 03-23-2018, 06:13 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Very nice! Good Luck.
Old 03-23-2018, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by WinFreak
3 more hours
I like it a lot
Old 03-25-2018, 03:55 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Nice choice Rich. Be good to see some interior pics as it's not a car I'm at all familiar with.

Big cars are a liability. Just awkward all round. I know it's a different category altogether but I sold my Daimler recently and that part of my ownership (big old cars) is now history.

I'd say get shot of the Z4 asap.

There's a crazy bubble at the moment where any old tat is perceived to be special. Take a look at the Pistonheads thread on the Ferrari 400i. Those are cars you couldn't give away and for good reason. They are crap. Same as the Mondial. The two worst Ferraris ever made and people asking £40K or more for them.

The Z4M doesn't fall into the crap category but it does fall into the category of silly money for an old car which is all pervasive at the moment. It won't last so get out while you can and laugh all the way to the bank.
Old 03-26-2018, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by gaddafi
Nice choice Rich. Be good to see some interior pics as it's not a car I'm at all familiar with.

Big cars are a liability. Just awkward all round. I know it's a different category altogether but I sold my Daimler recently and that part of my ownership (big old cars) is now history.

I'd say get shot of the Z4 asap.

There's a crazy bubble at the moment where any old tat is perceived to be special. Take a look at the Pistonheads thread on the Ferrari 400i. Those are cars you couldn't give away and for good reason. They are crap. Same as the Mondial. The two worst Ferraris ever made and people asking £40K or more for them.

The Z4M doesn't fall into the crap category but it does fall into the category of silly money for an old car which is all pervasive at the moment. It won't last so get out while you can and laugh all the way to the bank.
I'll take some photos of the interior later. The interior is a nice place to be but not that special. Its very much standard 2 series with leather seats and a few bits of Alcantara and Carbon scattered around.

I agree 100% on the Z4M. Coupe prices are substantially greater than the Roadster prices. It is a good car and quite rare, but I can only assume that people think that Coupe prices will go the way of the Z3M coupe and that is driving the prices up. I'll be selling it fairly quickly and its getting close to the time of year when 2 seater sports cars start to sell quickly.
Old 03-29-2018, 12:47 PM
Community Organizer

Cracking colour! Really like the look of these & would be interested to know how you get on.
Old 04-03-2018, 03:17 AM

Interior photo as requested by Gadaffi. Its pleasant, but very much standard 2 series BMW with a bit more carbon fibre trim and few bits of alcantara replacing leather.

Car on the drive for when the links to the dealer's website breaks

I do like the M2 a lot. I bought my previous Z4M Coupe as an upgrade to my S2000 and liked that a lot too. But after 7 years of ownership i fancied a change.

Compared to my Z4MC (and if you ignore depreciation) this is a practical, economical car It has 4 seats (first 4 seater i've owned since i was 22), the annual road tax is nearly half that of the Z4MC, fuel consumption is better (average of 31.5mpg on the M2 vs 26.4 on the Z4MC) and it has a 5 year service package on it so overall running cost will be lower.

Performance wise, the engine has massive torque from low revs and will happily rev up to the red line. It is slightly quicker in a straight line that the Z4M but the performance is easier to use as the engine will pull hard from much lower revs so it makes it feel quicker in the real world. 375bhp is never going to be boring. Handling wise, it has loads of front end grip and turns in very well. In the dry the rear is very stable and you can steer happily on the throttle. I'm not referring to full on oversteer on the throttle, but just a changing of the line with a fixed steering input depending on how much power you apply through the rear wheels. It corners flat and with current tyres makes pretty rapid progress. Its a fun car to drive.

In the wet, its a different kettle of fish. There is just too much power for the rear wheels to contain without traction control in the first 3 gears so you have to drive it far more carefully. Its still feels controllable and predictable, but i've not spent enough time in the car yet to be confident to push it in the wet. I'm generally driving like miss daisy when the roads are greasy.

I went for the manual as opposed to the DCT auto and i'm glad i did. Its a much more engaging drive. The car sounds great even with the active noise that plays a synthetic exhaust noise through the stereo. When you change down the engine automatically blips the throttle to rev match and it sounds brilliant.

Negatives- its noisy. A cold start will annoy the neighbors and its not a car you can be inconspicuous in even when driving normally. I'm not a ostentatious type of person and this car and colour is on the limit for me. Tyre noise is also an issue at motorway speeds and there is a slightly annoying combination of tyre roar and exhaust noise at dead on 70mph on some road surfaces. You can't turn off the active noise without coding (which i should be able to do myself with an ODB11 dongle and an app on my phone) so i don't know if its that that is causing the resonance or its just inherent in the car.

All in all, its a much more practical proposition for me to drive day to day. All the tech that you get in a modern car is handy too and my phone integrates with the car much better. Small things like being able to find an address on my phone and send it to the satnav in the car so that its there without me having to find or enter it in the car actually matter. It doesn't feel quite as special as the Z4MC as its just a fast saloon rather than a purpose built sports car, but its still fun to drive so you soon forget that slight downside.

To anyone considering buying an M2, i'd suggest driving one first to see if you can cope with the noise, but other than that its a great car.

Quick Reply: Today I Bought....