Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

This tops bad driving!

Old 11-01-2009, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question This tops bad driving!

I just need to get this off my chest!

I was on a dual carrige way and came to a roundabout (standard 4 exits). I was in the fast lane going straight ahead (as there were two lanes).

Next to me is a landrover in the slow lane, no indicator so I presume he is either going left or straight on.

We both set off and as I am indicating to take the second exit, he is still coming around the roundabout (turning right) in the outside lane! He blocks my exit forcing me to go around the roundabout again. (Luckily I held back because I try to protect myself by assuming people will do the worst)

I don't think he had a clue I was there until I sounded my 'pathetic' horn!

Sorry just very very angry about this!

I have seen allot of this recently - turning right at roundabouts whilst being in the outside lane. I also keep seeing people indicating right at roundabouts and then going straight on! What is with people?
Old 11-01-2009, 10:16 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Not sure but this can cause some nasty accidents, esp with motorbikes.
Old 11-01-2009, 12:10 PM

If you don't expect it, you might have an accident.

Getting angry is pointless.

Realise everybody makes mistakes and drive defensively and therefore accordingly.

Maybe having done thousands and thousands of miles on motorbikes helps me realise that all cars are mobile obstacles and assume they will take the least obvious option at all times.

That way, what happened to you will not have surprised or irked you but merely delayed your journey by about 20 seconds.
Old 11-01-2009, 12:33 PM

[QUOTE=Ben_,Nov 1 2009, 09:10 PM] all cars are mobile obstacles and assume they will take the least obvious option at all times.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Moggy,Nov 1 2009, 01:33 PM
So, if they take the obvious then you haven't antipated it.......Don't assume anything.

I think lack of signals at r'abouts are my no.1 pet hate when driving. More so fot the plebs who don't signal left at mini r'abouts
You know that isn't what I meant at all and you really need to chill out and relax; spending your focus on things that eat you up leaves less time to focus on the happy things in life.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:56 PM
UK Moderator

Received 304 Likes on 260 Posts

It's going to have been especially bad today, as lots of people are returning from half term trips, so are unsure of where they're going.

As mentioned above, adopt a defensive policy at roundabouts and you can usually avoid problems before they occur, and you're ready if something untoward does happen.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Penelope Ptistop,Nov 1 2009, 07:12 PM
so I presume
Never presume.

You used the right word though given that one definition is: "to dare or venture without prior knowledge."
Old 11-01-2009, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by Ben_,Nov 1 2009, 10:37 PM
You know that isn't what I meant at all and you really need to chill out and relax; spending your focus on things that eat you up leaves less time to focus on the happy things in life.
How do I know what you meant, given I don't know you and you haven't got much of a posting history.

Big assumption you have made BTW.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Moggy,Nov 2 2009, 12:33 AM
How do I know what you meant, given I don't know you and you haven't got much of a posting history.

Big assumption you have made BTW.
I've only ever been wrong one time and that's when I thought I was wrong
Old 11-02-2009, 12:20 AM

There’s a couple of roundabouts in my area where it’s 3 lanes in.
Left lane is to turn left, middle lane is straight on, right lane is to turn right.
It’s not exactly rocket surgery.

Quite often someone in the left lane will just carry straight on, if there is someone in the other two lanes it creates merry hell with all sorts of cars squeezing into space that isn’t there.
The signage for turning left is painted on the road, so in heavy traffic anyone new to the area won’t can easily miss it as it’s buried under other cars.

There’s another roundabout up by B&Q where the signs painted on the road leading up to the roundabout don’t match the normal road signs and neither match what’s actually painted on the roundabout.
3 lanes in, all saying that they can be used to go straight over onto a 2 lane road.
That’s fun in rush hour too.

Quick Reply: This tops bad driving!