Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

At the weekend I bought...

Old 03-02-2021, 09:42 AM

Received 122 Likes on 106 Posts
Default At the weekend I bought...

A Golf R mk7, 5dr in Lapiz Blue.
It will be our family car with the added enjoyment factor on the usual given road. Retiring the ageing Tdi Golf as diesel is just not what we want anymore. These are still fairly economical if tickled.
Not aware of any other s2k owners with one, but it's mighty impressive.
Went for a manual, no leather... None of the other gubbins. Its basically 'er indoors motor, the s2k will fight it for the garage overnight. Aware that tea leaves love em in some districts, but I'll be upping security all the same. Starting with a garage defender, already have dislok.
Thoughts on the R?
Old 03-02-2021, 10:09 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

I have a GTI Mk7.5 but with DSG. It's a very lovely place to be, more than fast enough, thoroughly relaxing and does everything a Golf does well. Also less likely to be targetted.
Old 03-02-2021, 10:27 AM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

real world economy will be interesting to see though
i would imagine it will be quite pricey to run, it's quite a quick car plus 4wd. if the internet is correct low 30s mpg which i suppose is not bad really. Our GTD did 45mpg urban which didnt impress me much but on a run it was very frugal (claimed 70+)

Old 03-02-2021, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by lovegroova
I have a GTI Mk7.5 but with DSG. It's a very lovely place to be, more than fast enough, thoroughly relaxing and does everything a Golf does well. Also less likely to be targetted.
I agree, nice comfy place to be. I know some gurn at the seats and argue they aren't as cosseting as they could be. I found the GTD seats a bit firm but OK over the term we had it. I could barely fault the mk7, we had that for 2 years.
Anything German gets commonly broken for parts no matter what it is. The R did have that stigma for ram raids, drug runs, burglarys etc, a criminal favourite since its inception in 2014. Seems that flash C class Mercs have taken the trophy of being the top stolen car according to a recent theft figure survey, but the Golf isnt off the theft radar. GTI and GTD are very much targeted too. It is costing 200 quid a year to insure, I won't lose sleep and will improve security on it.
I'll fill her up with Super when I eventually pick it up next week, and see how that goes over the month, as it will be locally driven only. I expect mid 20s to begin with, as it will be given some beans on certain 'private' roads nearby so I can understand its true performance, albeit at maybe 8/10ths.. I know the DSG is quicker and is mightily impressive, but I prefer to stir the box. I'm not interested in traffic light races or Auto driving, or launch control.
Driving this will hopefully expose how brilliant the s2k is. My eldest teenage son can't believe that mum's car is going to be faster than dad's
Ill be putting to test then, the hot hatch car which is supposed to be the jack of all trades...
Old 03-02-2021, 10:20 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Those are rapid, properly properly quick. Everywhere, in any weather. Maybe the manual will be more engaging than the DSG version. If you're regularly doing 8/10ths expect <20mpg and a ban within the year

I think the GTi is the better car purely because you can use more of it without running the risk of getting thrown in jail or worrying about some toerag borrowing it.

I'd still have one
Old 03-03-2021, 12:52 AM

I must confess I was trying to tempt the other half into a 5dr Fezza ST, but on the longer journeys from Wigan to Kent and back, I was reminded that we usually are up to the roof (in the last Golf) with kids, luggage, kitchen sink... And the Golf just about coped.
Although the Haldex unit swallows some of the boot floor, it's still OK, as we no longer lug prams around. To think last year she was trying to flutter the eyelashes for another sprog. F off!
Pictures to follow next week when taken delivery but it won't be anything awesome, you've already seen enough of them driven around by chaps like me
Old 03-03-2021, 02:33 AM
UK Moderator

Originally Posted by s2k4tony
Driving this will hopefully expose how brilliant the s2k is.
It really will.

Though you'll appreciate the Golf's brilliance when you're on a long drive and it's cold and wet outside.
Old 03-03-2021, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by lovegroova
It really will.

Though you'll appreciate the Golf's brilliance when you're on a long drive and it's cold and wet outside.
And less noise too...

Nearly 9 months on in this 06, I still truly love the thing.
Old 03-04-2021, 04:11 AM
UK Moderator

Just checked. Average MPG has been 33.1. It does a lot of quite short journeys, usually less than 20 miles, and often on suburban routes.

I did an hour or so mostly on motorway yesterday and averaged 42mpg
Old 03-05-2021, 01:56 PM

Funny how you start seeing the type of car you are buying everyday - everywhere! When before, you never noticed as much - despite the Golf being a common sight.
Hardly seen any s2000s throughout winter, I think I'm one of very few that don't sorn it.
If the R gets 30mpg for Maude, I'm happy. Fairly sure it will. However, she has driven the wheels off my S2k in the past, with me producing some phantom brake moments in the passenger seat. Better keep a regular check on the bank statement, specifically for petrol stations!

Quick Reply: At the weekend I bought...