Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Zebra Crossings

Old 12-10-2013, 01:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zebra Crossings

I walk my dog before work in the mornings and use the same zebra crossing every day. I make my dog sit at the side of the road, until it is safe to cross. Invariably people just drive straight across the crossing. I have also had some drivers stop on one side of the road, however on the other side a car has just steamed through anyway. I often wave to the driver as they go past at 40mph in a 30mph limit (on a school route).

There is a camera over looking the crossing. Does anyone know if these cameras are actively used to pursue people who don't stop, or are they only used in the event of an accident?

I see that legally people don't actually have to stop unless you have walked onto the road...which seems like a bad idea for pedestrians. Do these people not see the crossing or me at it?(very worrying!), or are they just really selfish, rude individuals?

PP (Disgruntled dog walker!)
Old 12-10-2013, 02:29 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

And also Darwins who cross the road without looking, because they're on their mobile phones and think you should stop...

It's because the country is full of self-obsessed arseholes.

I think the meeja champions such behaviour and stupid people are easily swayed.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's what I liked about being in Norway, they stop for you as soon as you even look at the zebra crossing, nice and patiently without a care in the world...

here everybody is too selfish and stressed out of their eyeballs trying to get from A to B as quick as possible
Old 12-10-2013, 03:55 AM

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

I am with Nick on this , I see it on a daily basis , misuse by both drivers and pedestrians.

Also the number of drivers who think they are at Leman's and as the pedestrian leave's just enough space behind them the driver take's off at wrap speed , now as i recall the H/Way code says you wait until the crossing is clear , I have been given the hoot for waiting , which results in an even longer delay as i take my time then.

Then there are the Mums who almost seem to dare the driver by edging the orange box containing their off spring onto the crossing to make us slam on the anchors and then look at us like we are the devil incarnate , I presume the odd child sacrifice for an insurance claim is acceptable

How about the cyclists who use crossings as their own highway and traffic management system to get them where they want to go ! often at the cost of both drivers and pedestrians, oh no cyclists are paragons of virtue aren't they !!!!
Old 12-10-2013, 04:02 AM

All very true.

There used to be something called 'responsibility' and the slogan "care, courtesy, consideration" was used, but now everything is someone else's fault and it's all about me.

One really notices a difference in Europe.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's exactly the same reason the cycling like in NL and Denmark etc is never going to work in this country
Old 12-10-2013, 05:23 AM

When I was learning to drive, my instructor said pedestrians have right of way when they are at zebra crossings and the car has to stop, if not and the police see you, its a £120 fine and 3 points. This was about 3-4 years ago.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by WinFreak
That's exactly the same reason the cycling like in NL and Denmark etc is never going to work in this country
I was just thinking of the Drachten traffic experiment and whether the British are mature enough for it to work as well over here?

I think we're so used to being bullied & cajoled by Nanny State (hence part of the reason for the general frustration and surliness) we'd not be able to cope with being given back our freedom of will.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:10 AM
Le8

There are people out there that know legally they don't have to stop, so they dont.

Or are they just dam rude.

I will always stop and a kind thank you gesture is always nice.

But I also hate those that walks across slowly whiles on their phone.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:16 AM

Always reminds me of 8 out of 10 cats where some one on the show moaned about people who don't gesture a thanks for cars stopping and Sean Lock goes off on one saying 'why should I thank some one for having the basic human decency of not running me over!'

I'm completely with him and I take the Gordon Brittas approach that I have right of way. I'm not reckless and wouldn't step out in front of something that's going to injure me but I've had a few looks of disgust from motorists who end up slamming on and don't seem to realise I have right of way.

Quick Reply: Zebra Crossings