Carolinas A Better Place to Be

Clutch Replacement

Old 05-14-2012, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Replacement

I've had some awful luck this month. First, I got a fracture in my left hand. Now, this past weekend, my clutch gave out.

I started to notice some slipping a few weeks ago in VTEC, but didn't worry about it too much. The pedal itself felt sort of sticky, which led me to think I needed to re-grease the slave cylinder and selector fork. However, I held off on it due to my injury. Last week, the slipping got progressively worse. This past Saturday, I drove out to a dinner. On the way back, it felt like the clutch gave out completely. Any time I went past 50% throttle past 3-4k, the engine would just rev. I also smelled the unmistakable odor of clutch material.

In short, I think my clutch is dead/dying. I can drive the car if I nurse the gas and clutch, but it's really worrying me and I think I need to get it replaced ASAP. I called a few places and the prices seem astronomical ($1400-1500... mostly labor). I would attempt it myself but I have a cast on, not to mention my lack of tools and experience.

So, would anyone experienced in the Raleigh area be willing to replace the clutch for me? I'd be willing to compensate you for your time and effort, not to mention the billions of cool points you would earn. I hate to ask, but I figured it might be worth a shot before deciding to take it to a shop.

It'd be nice to have both my car and my arm fully healed soon
Old 05-14-2012, 03:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, 1500 is a bit high. They must be quoting you list price on factory honda parts which are super expensive. Pick yourself up a F1 or exedy kit for around 300, and you should be able to find someone who will put it in for 400 or less. If you know what your doing, and have the tools it can be done in less than 4 hours easily. If you were in Greenville I'd say come and see me. I'm sure there's someone in raleigh who can help you out for a decent price.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:49 PM

Find someone that has done this before in the raleigh area and I will come help do it. I'm looking to have someone walk me through the process so I can do my own.

Alternatibely happy japs in cary charges $600ish for the instal.

-Sam
Old 05-14-2012, 06:31 PM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Act HDSS + 11.5 lb flywheel ftw....$600 labor is common.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:01 PM

when are you looking to do this? Best bet is to go buy a clutch and install it in your garage in a day. It took me 3 5 hours nights after work to change mine back in Sept on jack stands. Its not difficult but you need to be able to put the car up on jack stands high enough to get the tranny out from underneath the car lol. I didn't feel like paying for a garage lift or pay anyone else to do it so I did it myself with the help of a friend when taking the tranny down and putting it back up lol. And if you have doubts of my experience I have the Honda Manual so you can read it step by step lol
Old 05-15-2012, 01:21 PM

Cool guys, I'll explore some options this week.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:19 AM

I'll do your install for $1060 that includes the OEM replacement clutch kit/Throw Out Bearing/Pilot Bearing, Flywheel Resurface,Trans Fluid, and Clutch system flush. This price includes me to travel too Raleigh NC. I have a garage to perform the work out of in Cary, you just drop your car off and come back later that day. You can follow all of my work @ SoftTopGuy

I'll also back your clutch on warranty. If anything were to happen. (The perks of having a Honda Technician work on your car)

-B
Old 05-18-2012, 03:51 AM

I'll also vouch for Happy Japs. They did a full transmission rebuild and clutch replacement on my other car for a pretty reasonable price. Only two guys that work there (plus the shop cat).

lazy's deal sounds pretty sweet though. I'll keep that in mind as my S2000's clutch is at 107k.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by lazy_s2k
I'll do your install for $1060
I hope this is a joke.....you tell me repeatedly you don't have time to send me the money you owe me for how many weeks now? 5....6? Now you're offering to do more work for people? Please adjust your priorities as I am out of patience.

3/13-3/19 - you are in almost daily contact regarding my interest in having you install a softtop for me

4/17 - I sent you $1150 for a soft top install and labor as we agreed upon

4/18 - I ask you for address to meet and no response from you

4/20 - you call to let me know you are using my top for my car on someone elses car. I say it's not a huge deal just send

me money back. You mention you'll be in the area in a few weeks, but I told you I wanted the money back so I could sue it

to go visit family

4/21 - agreed install date

4/25 - I ask for an update since I hadn't received the money back yet

4/30 - I learn you dropped your phone in the bucket of oil so you didn't contact me

5/1 - I ask for another update

5/6 - you stated..."I've been running my head off with all the work that's piling up" and "I had to wait for it to come in

and than I had to send it back to Robbins to get the refund back." and "I hope to have the refund issued back to me by

Monday or Tuesday by Robbins"

Then you stop responding again .....

5/15 - I ask for another update

5/17 - response from you saying your "sales guy" isnt in the office until 5/23. You also state again you are too busy doing

engine tucks and engine builds. You offer to send me back at least the portion of payment for the labor.

5/25 - no update and still no money from you and I have officially lost my patience.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:03 PM

Why don't you call B? I'm actually his friend that's on his log in. I try to update as much as I can for him. He's trying his best to keep everyone happy. This guy is working his ass off to help everyone. I understand he may forget here and there. Don't get me wrong I would be pissed off too if I was told something and was forgotten about. I'm sure he'll resolve this with you. Just call him, he'll answer or leave a voice mail he'll call back when he gets the chance. He's just one guy trying to care for EVERYONE. I'm not saying this just cause I'm his friend. I'm also his customer, he has hired me to try and keep up with all his emails and what not. If you need him just call him don't have to bash him. If you can find another person to do your top install at the quality as B and at the price he quoted you. Go to that person, I can assure you that you'll not find another person like him that offers warranty, cause he's the only person in the NC area that's trained by HONDA themselves to do this other than the other guy at his dealership that HATES doing it. I'm sure he forgot and didn't mean to at all. You acts as if he's trying to RUN away from you. He's not running away from anyone. He's trying to catch up on work(he works a 8-5 job also) and trying to save everyone $$$$$. We all know that everyone needs to save $$$$. As I stated, Just call him!(704-957-1442) He's honestly not a bad guy at all, he's trying to make everything work for everyone.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Clutch Replacement