S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Carolinas (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/carolinas-48/)
-   -   Dies for Control Arm Bushings (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/carolinas-48/dies-control-arm-bushings-1180099/)

austincrx 12-06-2017 09:39 AM

Dies for Control Arm Bushings

I'm looking for a set of press dies to replace the front upper control arm bushings with Energy Suspension urethane bushings. These require that you press out the factory metal shell from the factory control arm along with the rubber bushing itself. Does anyone have the appropriate dies required to do this? What about a shop/friend who would press them out for me for a 6-pack :)?

Pinky 12-08-2017 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by austincrx (Post 24392813)
I'm looking for a set of press dies to replace the front upper control arm bushings with Energy Suspension urethane bushings. These require that you press out the factory metal shell from the factory control arm along with the rubber bushing itself. Does anyone have the appropriate dies required to do this? What about a shop/friend who would press them out for me for a 6-pack :)?

Where u located?

austincrx 12-11-2017 10:39 AM

I'm actually in SC now, but McMaster had a solution for me.

Nitroturtle 12-11-2017 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by austincrx (Post 24394681)
I'm actually in SC now, but McMaster had a solution for me.

I'm going to be doing this job soon myself. Just curious, what did it run for the dies you picked up from McMaster Carr?

austincrx 12-12-2017 07:47 AM

$40ea. for the dies, and it takes 2-3 weeks for them to be made. I believe that when the parts are ready they alert you and ask for your shipping method then collect payment for that.

Pinky 12-13-2017 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by austincrx (Post 24394993)
$40ea. for the dies, and it takes 2-3 weeks for them to be made. I believe that when the parts are ready they alert you and ask for your shipping method then collect payment for that.

:crazy: WHAT!?!?!?!!! That's CRAZY! I think mine cost 6-8 dollars total and gas to travel around to a few different parts shops.

Happy to verify the sizes that anyone needs and if it matches what you need...........just send me $$$ to cover shipping, with promise to return when you are done.

austincrx 12-14-2017 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by Pinky (Post 24395426)
:crazy: WHAT!?!?!?!!! That's CRAZY! I think mine cost 6-8 dollars total and gas to travel around to a few different parts shops.

Happy to verify the sizes that anyone needs and if it matches what you need...........just send me $$$ to cover shipping, with promise to return when you are done.

I went around to a few local places here and no one had anything close to the size specified by Energy Suspension. I appreciate the gesture though, that is nice of you! McMaster has already begun work on the bushings, so I cannot cancel the order. If they do not work out, I will contact you.

Thanks!

CoolGuy094 12-15-2017 04:30 AM

The lower control arms still need to retain the OEM metal sleeve, right? So you'll be burning those out. I'm guessing you needed the dies for the UCA bushings?

jsenclosure 12-15-2017 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by CoolGuy094 (Post 24396115)
The lower control arms still need to retain the OEM metal sleeve, right? So you'll be burning those out. I'm guessing you needed the dies for the UCA bushings?

exactly, the metal bushings in the lowers need to be burned out. it's a pain. I recommend prothane bushings, they're the same price as energy suspension and don't require burning out the bushings

CoolGuy094 12-22-2017 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by jsenclosure (Post 24396134)
exactly, the metal bushings in the lowers need to be burned out. it's a pain. I recommend prothane bushings, they're the same price as energy suspension and don't require burning out the bushings

Thanks for the info. Looks like the front and rear arm bushing sets from Protane are only about $160 together. Guess its time to finally do this as its been needed for quite some time on my car.