Carolinas A Better Place to Be

Dies for Control Arm Bushings

Old 12-06-2017, 09:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dies for Control Arm Bushings

I'm looking for a set of press dies to replace the front upper control arm bushings with Energy Suspension urethane bushings. These require that you press out the factory metal shell from the factory control arm along with the rubber bushing itself. Does anyone have the appropriate dies required to do this? What about a shop/friend who would press them out for me for a 6-pack ?
Old 12-08-2017, 06:54 PM
Community Organizer

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by austincrx
I'm looking for a set of press dies to replace the front upper control arm bushings with Energy Suspension urethane bushings. These require that you press out the factory metal shell from the factory control arm along with the rubber bushing itself. Does anyone have the appropriate dies required to do this? What about a shop/friend who would press them out for me for a 6-pack ?
Where u located?
Old 12-11-2017, 10:39 AM

I'm actually in SC now, but McMaster had a solution for me.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:31 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm actually in SC now, but McMaster had a solution for me.
I'm going to be doing this job soon myself. Just curious, what did it run for the dies you picked up from McMaster Carr?
Old 12-12-2017, 07:47 AM

$40ea. for the dies, and it takes 2-3 weeks for them to be made. I believe that when the parts are ready they alert you and ask for your shipping method then collect payment for that.
Old 12-13-2017, 06:43 AM
Community Organizer

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts

$40ea. for the dies, and it takes 2-3 weeks for them to be made. I believe that when the parts are ready they alert you and ask for your shipping method then collect payment for that.
WHAT!?!?!?!!! That's CRAZY! I think mine cost 6-8 dollars total and gas to travel around to a few different parts shops.

Happy to verify the sizes that anyone needs and if it matches what you need...........just send me $$$ to cover shipping, with promise to return when you are done.
Old 12-14-2017, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by Pinky
WHAT!?!?!?!!! That's CRAZY! I think mine cost 6-8 dollars total and gas to travel around to a few different parts shops.

Happy to verify the sizes that anyone needs and if it matches what you need...........just send me $$$ to cover shipping, with promise to return when you are done.
I went around to a few local places here and no one had anything close to the size specified by Energy Suspension. I appreciate the gesture though, that is nice of you! McMaster has already begun work on the bushings, so I cannot cancel the order. If they do not work out, I will contact you.

Thanks!
Old 12-15-2017, 04:30 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The lower control arms still need to retain the OEM metal sleeve, right? So you'll be burning those out. I'm guessing you needed the dies for the UCA bushings?
Old 12-15-2017, 05:31 AM
Community Organizer

Received 125 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by CoolGuy094
The lower control arms still need to retain the OEM metal sleeve, right? So you'll be burning those out. I'm guessing you needed the dies for the UCA bushings?
exactly, the metal bushings in the lowers need to be burned out. it's a pain. I recommend prothane bushings, they're the same price as energy suspension and don't require burning out the bushings
Old 12-22-2017, 06:02 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jsenclosure
exactly, the metal bushings in the lowers need to be burned out. it's a pain. I recommend prothane bushings, they're the same price as energy suspension and don't require burning out the bushings
Thanks for the info. Looks like the front and rear arm bushing sets from Protane are only about $160 together. Guess its time to finally do this as its been needed for quite some time on my car.