Carolinas A Better Place to Be

little help here (Front Bumper)

Old 09-02-2003, 06:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default little help here (Front Bumper)

<typed with very sheepish grin>

While becoming accustomed to the S2000, i entered a parking space a little deep, and sort of tore the bottom of the front bumper.

I have been considering a chin spoiler (and now parking lessons), but wanted to check with anyone here who has done one. Is it a big deal to install? (Mechanically inclined but no prior body work).

Thanks in advance, Unforgiven

Old 09-02-2003, 07:01 AM

Unforgiven,

don't feel bad. Many owners at one point or another have scratched the underside of the front bumper and/or lip. Just use more caution when parking or going over speed bumps to avoid any future damage. A new front lip would cover the scrapes and is very simple to install....just be careful not to scrape it

If your front bumper is in bad shape or cracked look here ---> here

good luck!
Old 09-02-2003, 07:02 AM

I did not install my chin spoiler but did the spoiler protector and that was a piece of cake to install.

If you are going with the chin spoiler I strongly recommed you do the spoiler protector too. it has saved my spoiler many times.
Old 09-02-2003, 07:07 AM

I know what you mean about getting used to the long nose of the car. Even when I think I'm way far away from the parking curb thing I'm amazed how close I get. I have the Coastal Metals Splitter, check out their website on the sponsor's page. They also have a spoiler protector (smaller lip).
There are 6 - 8 mounting holes along the bottom of the front end. The most economical way for you may be to put on a OEM style lip. Install would be 15 minutes tops. Here's mine.
Old 09-02-2003, 07:56 AM

Yeah dont feel bad. Look at my front bumper.

Old 09-02-2003, 08:01 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Reignman
[B]Yeah dont feel bad. Look at my front bumper.
Old 09-02-2003, 08:32 AM

Hehe what do you mean showoff? I was just posting a pic of my big shiny intercooler.
Old 09-02-2003, 09:28 AM

It isn't terrible, just ripped a little at one of the attachment points. I just KNOW IT IS THERE <sorry for yelling, drivin' me crazy>

I will look into the Protectors, that sounds like a good plan.

thanks all, Un
Old 09-02-2003, 04:46 PM

You are not alone on this one

About one month after I got my "S", I took it over to Cosco to pick up something. While I always park next to one of those curb islands and pull in real close hoping that if someone parks next to me their doors won't hit my car. We probably all do this. While i came in forward and there was a big A** SUV parked in the slot in front of me. So as I pull in and all of a sudden "BOOM" and I come to a quick stop! Well I backed up a little and get out to see what the heck? And there attached to the back of that big A** SUV is a mongo 12" trailer hitch. You know the ones that first curve downward and then turn back and extend even futher outward While I was amazed that the damage was not too bad but the hitch ball punch me right in the upper nose of the grill section. I never saw it comiing! I sit pretty low in the seat (only 5'6") and that nose is long. I was able to fairly well camoflage the effect luckily.

A few other close calls like yours convinced me to get the Coastal Metals "LIp Protector" and it sved me a couple weeks ago, because I did exactly what you did and nailed the front parking curb. All it did was scar up the protector, absolutely no damage to the bumper. It was worth every penney of the $79 investment
And the installation is a piece of cake,

I can't bring myself to consider a front spoiler and bring that front even closer to the ground. Definately, get something.

Jay
Old 09-02-2003, 05:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want help with the install, feel free to bring it by my place.

If you have trouble with scraping, then I'd stay away from the lip, you'd end up cracking a $400 piece that makes your front end closer to the ground.

Quick Reply: little help here (Front Bumper)