Carolinas A Better Place to Be

New sedan

Old 03-08-2010, 04:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New sedan

First off, it's for my mother-in-law.

Second, performance is not a concern.

Third, please keep to the topic of 2010 Legacy 2.5i Premium vs. 2010 Altima 2.5 S, all others are out (including Accord)

So please, I've never owned or had any experience with a Subaru, yet it is very intriguing, and these are the two cars we've boiled it down to for purchase.

Thanks for all comments about these two cars.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:29 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I looked at the Subaru right before the Camry. Biggest issue I had was the way it looks and the price. Comparably equipped, the Legacy was about $4k more. I didn't think the car really gave anything in the way of presence...it's very understated...but that's a good thing too for a lot of people.

Never looked at the Altima only because the Nissan brand hasn't appealed to me since owning a Nissan Frontier years ago.

I didn't drive the Subaru mainly because of the price and looks.

I'm sorta betting the Legacy is a lot more fun to drive than the Altima.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:49 PM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

I love the Legacy, its one of my favorite cars, and it has a great awd system. The 2010 model is larger, gets better mpg, and has a good looking interior (that can seat 5 btw). As much as I like Nissan, I would definitely take a Legacy over an Altima.

Subaru has the highest owner loyalty and Toyota-level reliability. The last Altima I was in frankly felt hollow, not solid.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both cars have identical MSRP, engine displacement, power, mpg's, seating capacity, etc.

Now the differences:
The Legacy's standard equipment includes driver lumbar support, sttering wheel audio controls, braking assist (not available in Altima), headlight auto delay and dusk sensor, daytaime running lights (not available in Altima) and all wheel drive.

The Altima has an optional BOSE sound system with 6 speakers (optional Harman/Kardon in Legacy).

I think you get more for your money with the Legacy.

Now, subjectively speaking, the Legacy looks better. But let's face it ... almost any 4 door sedan looks better than the Altima.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks guys, good stuff.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:08 PM

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had a couple late 90s Maximas and a 05 Legacy. They were all great cars. Personally I like Subaru better, but either one would be a decent choice.

I think the Altima has a CVT. The two big differences between these cars are the CVT and AWD.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:18 PM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

2010 Legacys can be had with CVT.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Acording to Edmunds, the one he specified comes with a CVT.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From the two engine packages, I'd pick the legacy.

Airgate, have you done your recall work for the '10 camry?
Old 03-08-2010, 11:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not that this matters much since the vehicle would be brand new, I like driving the CVT now that you mention it... but would not want to have to pay for a replacement if one went bad. I had heard the replacement for a failed one in a Maurano was over $7k - maybe this was a fluke failure just out of warrantee. This car won't be driven too hard so maybe not a big deal here. The Legacy comes with six speed manual and I'm not sure your mother in-law is driving a manual so either way, its a CVT.

http://www.reedmantollsubaru.com/2010-suba...ssan-altima.htm

I really do not have a lot experience except for driving rental cars... and none of the Altima's I rented was an "S" and I have not had the pleasure of renting the Subaru Legacy. I rented a Tribeca about 5 years ago and it was quite impressive in the mountains of Montana and BC. It had a larger six cylinder and was a blast to drive...

It would be a tough choice. I would think MPG would go to Nissan even though they are both rated nearly identicle but most all other stuff would slightly favor the Suburu... still, a very tough choice.

Sorry, can't give you a clear winner.

All wheel drive is rarely needed around here but wish I had it last night in the NC/TN mountains near Hwy 64 while we tried to take a short cut down some back roads in the area. We were driving a G6 and it did just fine for 10 miles but had to give up due to road clearance... Suburu might have an edge here? Any off roading adventures planned?

Quick Reply: New sedan