Carolinas A Better Place to Be

Place to Live?

Old 02-24-2007, 08:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Place to Live?

So my wife and I have been thinking of moving out of CT. We're playing with the idea of moving to North Carolina. What are some areas that we should consider moving to? We both want to be in a neighborhood outside of a city (place to raise kids). Neither one of us has been outside of the airport, but have heard good things. I'm a teacher and my wife is a therapist, so jobs would be a must. Looking for a nice neighborhood with reasonable housing pricing. We're thinking of taking a visit this summer and looking around. What areas, towns should be looking at? Any kind of additional advice would be must appreciated.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:26 AM

East Lee st in Greensboro is a pretty posh hood. Also, Waughtown st in Winston Salem is bangin.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:41 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I would research Cary NC. Its in the top 10 cities (or towns) to live in the US.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:55 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

It depends on what area you want to live and how close you want to be to the "big city". Salisbury is becoming nice as a satellite city to Charlotte since Charlotte is so big anymore, but even living in Charlotte (inside the beltline) is actually really nice (Southpark area, South Charlotte between Park Rd, Providence, Fairview, Pineville-Matthews). Concord is nice and between Charlotte and Salisbury. Charlotte has a ton of golf and a TPC.

Greensboro is nice because its 1.5 hours from Charlotte and Raleigh and is on 85 between the two. Its a small big city with no real traffic, yet has 6 major colleges and lots of arts. The NCAA tourny is frequently held in Grensboro, and there's the Chrysler classic golf tourny.

Asheville is a nice small city, up in the mountains and a couple hours from Charlotte and Winston-Salem, and is growing in popularity.

If you look at Raleigh, I'd look at N. Raleigh and Wake Forest over Cary and Apex to the south - I think they are overgrown/overpopulated. South Durham is becoming nicer these days too, and there's always Chatam cuounty around Chapel Hill. Raleighalso has a TPC in Wakefield.

Raleigh, Chapel Hill, and Charlotte have good school systems, if that matters. Teachers tell me Carbarrus and Granville county school districts are about the best in NC(north of Charlotte and Raleigh, respectively).

Right now the best housing will be in North/South Raleigh, south/east Durham, Chatham county south/east of Chapel Hill, Greensboro/Highpoint areas. Charlotte, Cary, Raleigh, and Chapel Hill proper are all more expensive.

I think you can find a nice place, but there's a lot of ground to cover (most of along interstate 85).
Old 02-24-2007, 09:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've only lived in NC for about two years now.....NY defector . But it looks like Saki knows his stuff. What I DO know is I don't regret moving here one bit. In fact, my GF and I love it. Good luck.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:31 AM

thanks, looks like we have a lot to look into
Old 02-24-2007, 10:45 AM

Greenville, SC is smaller than all of the above, but nestled at the the base of the Blue Ridge Mountains -- forests, waterfalls, great roads for the S, and best of all . . . 2 1/2 hours from The Dragon! Real estate is lower than Charlotte and RTP. Not a bustling metroplois, but it is a good place to raise kids.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:46 PM

it all depends on what you are looking for but i moved from norwalk,ct in 2000 and dont regret it one bit

i live just outside of charlotte in union county in a very nice neighborhood

best part is we sold our house for more that we built our house 2x its size down here
Old 02-24-2007, 07:47 PM

You should seriously consider Kannapolis. Kannapolis is about 30 minutes north or Charlotte and is a great city to live in. With the North Carolina Research Campus coming in, there are going to be tons of jobs available in both the medical and teaching professions. It is projected to be completed within the next 4 years. NC Research Campus
Core Lab Facilities

The research campus is going to be huge. It is bringing in thousands of jobs and many well known scientists from around the world. It is going to cover over 350 acres. Trust me it will be amazing, my mother owns a 62 year old ladies dress shop. It was originally her grandmothers. She hears all the inside info on this upcoming monster.

DEFINITELY CONSIDER KANNAPOLIS!!!

Perspective of Central Campus:
Core Lab Facilities