Carolinas A Better Place to Be

A scientific study

Old 04-14-2005, 06:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A scientific study

Well, I validated a popular theory yesterday on my way home to Atlanta(new home).

Theory:
Bridgestone Potenza S-02s are not good in the rain at highway speeds.

Test: I-85S headed from Charlotte to Atlanta, heavy rain, slowed down to what I thought was a reasonable speed (~55mph). Then I get beside a couple trucks. Starts to rain even harder and the spray from the trucks has completely obstructed my vision. Since there are people behind me I decide to speed up to get past the trucks so I can pull over and not drive blind. That's when I hit the puddle and started to hydroplane. Standard 'Oh, shit' brake lightly, counter steer, counter steer, spin, smash, and that's about all I recall. Very sureal, very day dream feeling. Wound up pointed the wrong way, halfway in the fast lane, stalled out. Traffic coming and I know they can't see me very well so I got it started and pulled over against the guardrail.

Results: No bodily harm, no boldily fluids lost. Damage to the car was actually very light, rear bumper half torn off and rear quarter panel dented. Looking back I realize I must have kept it going straight long enough to scrub off some speed and give the trucks and people behind me time to back off. I know I was all over the lanes so I must have literally spun in between the two tractor trailers. Too bad I couldn't have seen that guys face when I was mid-spin!

Conclusion: Ultra-high Performance Summer tires really aren't that great in the rain. Espcially through large puddles when you can't see. I think I'm going to go to Kumho MX's next time I need new tires. A spyderco can cut through a plastic rear bumper with ease. Sitting in the rain on the side of I-85 sucks.

Cliffnotes! Reached for my pepsi but pulled the hand brake instead. Spun between two trucks on the interstate. Ego bruised, the car will be fine.
Old 04-14-2005, 07:18 AM

doh! Sorry to hear about that Patrick! Glad you're ok though!
Old 04-14-2005, 07:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm glad you are okay and the car is not damaged to badly.

Did the spin start because of hydroplaning or pulling the hand brake?

If the latter, I'm not sure it is fair to blame the S02s.
Old 04-14-2005, 07:31 AM

RE050's (OEM on MY04+) are quite good in the rain, while they have tread. But their tread wear is poo, so "while they have tread" is not very long (at least for the rears). Anyway, the point is, you can have both high performance and good wet handling with the RE050's, as long as you're willing to replace your rears every 10k miles or so. Since I'm not, I'll probably switch to something else as well (whenever my fronts wear out).

Glad to hear you're okay.
Old 04-14-2005, 07:37 AM

a couple of things

1. the so-2s are pretty good in the rain imho. ive tracked in the pouring rain with s0-2s and was quiet happy.
2. the kumhos you are talking about are rated about the same as the so-2s even thoguht the so-2 is a superior tires which is reflected in the price.

i would look at a different tire or you'll have the same problems. i think the reason for the wreck, just an idea, is that your so-2s might of been worn. their life is around 10-12k miles which stems from the stock hondas camber/toes. or maybe its just bad luck.

the other thing, if you start to hydroplane, never touch the brake...even lightly...you'll spin like a top. next time dont worry about other people. i had a similar experience with really worn so-2s coming down from philly(ask kalen who saw them at the last clt dinner lol)...i slowed down to 45 with my hazard on until i got to the next stop.

Old 04-14-2005, 07:46 AM

The whole hand-brake thing was just a joke. I spun because I hydroplaned on a particularly large puddle. I think it was both left tires hydroplaning to begin with.

Fresh set of fronts. Rears are a little hard but still have about half thier tread left.

I still can't beleive there wasn't more damage. It was very sureal and very, very lucky.
Old 04-14-2005, 08:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Patrick....so glad you're OK! Sorry to hear about your scare.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Dante(suzuka),Apr 14 2005, 11:46 AM
The whole hand-brake thing was just a joke. I spun because I hydroplaned on a particularly large puddle. I think it was both left tires hydroplaning to begin with.
Okay. Just wondering.

Admittedly, my S is a garage queen and sees very little rainy weather. However, I did drive from the FC2004 hotel to the track in some pretty strong rain. After seeing and hearing all the complaints about wet road and the S02s I was on very high alert. I had no trouble at all. I honestly have more hydroplaning in my truck than I did that day in the S. But again, my experience is limited in the S. It seems to me that any vehicle is subject to hydroplaning.

Again, glad you are okay. It is a strange thing to experience. I remember years ago loosing control after someone pulled out in front of me. It was as if everything was going in slow motion. It seemed to take forever to complete the spin (a 180 actually) and land in the ditch on the opposite side of the road facing the direction in which I had just come from. The mind is an amazing piece of work.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:31 AM

I'm just glad that you are OK!

How was the wedding and honeymoon?
Old 04-14-2005, 10:34 AM

Wedding and Honeymoon were fantastic, we had a great time at both. Took a nice carribean cruise and thoroughly enjoyed it. Then I moved to Atlanta and she's looking for a job down here. Hopefully she'll be down for good in a couple weeks.

Quick Reply: A scientific study