Carolinas A Better Place to Be

Soooo...possibly moving

Old 06-25-2015, 02:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Soooo...possibly moving

Well it has been a long time coming. I was rejected from the first 2 jobs I applied for in NC. However, I was offered a new job today and will likely quit my job tommorrow. I am thinking of moving to the Fort Mill/Rock Hill section of SC (no emissions, YESSSSS)! I welcome any thoughts are advice about moving to the area. I'm making this thread relatively early as I would not be moving to SC until April of next year, but I like to get all my ducks lined up. I definitely would like to visit the area before moving. Any info advice would be appreciated. I like the proximity of this area to Charlotte and with no emissions testing it seems like it can't be beat.

PS: I work from home so I will not have to worry about commuting
Old 06-26-2015, 03:31 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nc is a great place to live. Fort mill isn't far from Charlotte, I believe Ballantyne is about a 15-20 min drive. Very nice area. Only downside about fort mill area is the random hail it produces from time to time.
Old 06-26-2015, 04:32 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Check out the Indian Land area off of 521 right across the state line. There seems to be a lot of recent development in that area and it is right down the road from Ballantyne in NC which is bustling.
Old 06-26-2015, 06:43 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mountains > Upstate > Piedmont

Welcome to the Carolina's - Paradise.
Old 06-26-2015, 11:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the lack of emissions testing is quickly balanced out by the lack of road reconditioning in SC. roads are not so great. But the area isn't so bad. ballantyne area is really nice. I think a good amount of us are north of the city if you're by charlotte.
Old 06-26-2015, 02:22 PM

Thanks for advice guys! Well it's official I quit. I'll be sure to check out the Ballantyne area as well. for advice guys! SC just appeals to me cause taking all the crap for emissions is zero fun. I'm hoping the roads aren't too bad lol. I have a DD and will be working from home so the s2k will only be driven if I need to get work done on it and for whatever drives u guys go on. Keep the suggestions coming. I will prob try to visit out there in a month or so, after I get back from Milwaukee (don't ask smh)
Old 06-27-2015, 12:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to the Carolinas, I just recently moved here from Florida. The roads in SC are crap so beware if you are lowered as I had to raise my car a bit.
Other than that, enjoy the killer roads out here.
Old 06-28-2015, 06:43 AM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

I live in Fort Mill, and absolutely love it. If you live in the northernmost part of the town, you're basically in CLT for all intents and purposes. Ballantyne is a 10m drive, Lake Wylie is a 25m drive, downtown CLT during off-peak hours is a 20-25m drive. We also have a few brand-new grocery stores, new gas stations, etc... so you're good to go. Also, the Fort Mill school district is VERY sought after, which if you're buying a house is a huge part of resale value.

The added bonus of SC and no emissions makes it a no-brainer imo. The roads aren't really that bad if you're not bombing around downtown Rock Hill or going crazy on the back roads of Ft Mill.
Old 06-28-2015, 07:19 AM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

While we are on the subject of moving to the Charlotte area...

We have a fun community in Troutman with a core group of neighbors that regularly hang out. Sadly, a few key personalities have moved away, so we're looking to replace them. We still have a lot of fun people, and the homes are an amazing value. All-brick, 4-5 BR, 3000-5000SF, 1/2 acre min lot size, some basements, $250-315k. so if anyone knows of other fun people moving to the area, let me know.

Open positions:

The Instigator - uses sneaky coercion to persuade the group or individuals to do stupid shit. Also, perfectly willing to accept full responsibility the next day.

Black Market Shopkeeper - if you need details, you aren't qualified.

The Fire Thief - Based on his love of feeding the fire pit, we suspect it was he, not Prometheus, that first stole fire from Olympus and gave it man.

We're keeping:

The Curmudgeon - Favorite topics include NASCAR's whiny drivers, over-regulation of motorsports, government overreach, and the insanity hot neighbor. "Doesn't drink any more...or less." We need a good Instigator to knock him off the wagon periodically.

The Guy with the Insanely Hot Wife - I'm sure he has other qualities; we just haven't noticed.

Wikiman - A wealth of knowledge. 95% of everything he says is amazingly accurate. The other 5% is total BS deliberately added just to eff with you. It's you responsibility to separate fact from BS.

The Institution - he knows everyone in town, and can get anything done. Once had a pet pig that thought it was a dog and roamed town freely (he didn't live in this community at the time)

Stitches - Constantly adding quippy one-liners to add to any discussion...and his are actually funny.

Of course, there are other fun people in the group, but their personalities are more rounded and less defined.
Old 06-28-2015, 10:34 AM

Hahaha I love the input. I think me and the curmudgeon would get along well lolol. The black market position my be up my alley...right now I'm looking at fort mill and Indian hill. Good to hear some positive input about the sc roads I was getting nervous...looks like my first trip will be in the pathfinder to assess the situation haha. I'm going to be looking to rent a house or town house for the 1st yr before buying. I really appreciate the info. Sounds like u guys have a great community!!!

Quick Reply: Soooo...possibly moving