Carolinas A Better Place to Be

Well, it's official...

Old 01-25-2008, 04:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well, it's official...

At almost 31 years of age, and after years of floating through life, I've decided to try finishing school. It's going to be Part-time and online, but it's going to happen. I chose the Graphic Design program through the Art Institute of Pittsburgh. I start in about 3 weeks. Im excited and scared all at once, but hopefully this time around I will be a little more successful (I guess engineering wasnt my thing back then...). I just wish my grandmother was still around to see...she ALWAYS asked when I was going back. Wish me luck!
Old 01-25-2008, 04:34 AM

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Good luck and remember, all study and no play.... Well you know.
Old 01-25-2008, 04:46 AM

Congrats...Dave !

We'll do our best to keep your life balanced .
Old 01-25-2008, 04:52 AM

[QUOTE=batguano,Jan 25 2008, 08:34 AM]Good luck and remember, all study and no play....
Old 01-25-2008, 08:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey, you've already got some good graphics design going on around here, so it sounds like a great choice. Good luck!
Old 01-25-2008, 08:46 AM

That's a great decision! You will be VERY happy when you have your diploma - I speak from experience . . .

I finished my degree () last year after starting 24 years before. All of my study was completely online/distance learning. It took me about 2 years to finish 12 courses. I was taking two at a time when they used the 16-week format (only one deadline at then end), but when they moved to the new 8-week format with bi-weekly deadlines, I could only keep up with one course at a time.

It is a little weird having graduated from a university that I have never been to, but that is the way of it these days.

Here's a great website you can use to find your textbooks really cheap:

Campus i

I had good luck on eBay as well, just make sure you match the ISBN numbers.

I also recommend you search Yahoo Groups and Google Groups for a message board for distance learning students from your university. You can use it to assess the difficulty of courses so you don't take two back-breakers at the same time, assess the difficulty of tests, number of papers, etc. in a course from students who are taking it now or are already taking it. You can also buy books there.

Best of luck to you in your studies!
Old 01-25-2008, 10:03 AM

half.com ROCKS for textbooks - used to buy and sell mine exclusively through there, and it saved me hundreds, if not over $1,000 easily over the course of my studies.

best of luck
Old 01-25-2008, 10:32 AM

half.com ROCKS for textbooks
half.com is one of about a dozen used booksellers that Campusi refers the buyer to after searching by title, author, ISBN, or combinations of all of those.

I too bought several books from half.com. I forgot to mention - look for "clean" books with no writing or highlighting . . . if you get a higlighted book after an idiot student you will regret it.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:40 AM

congrats dave and good luck. i can sympathize with ya
Old 01-25-2008, 11:23 AM

Thanks everyone andthanks for the info Slotperfect and Katie..i will definitely look into that. Im getting a bunch of new toys too! yay! I cant decide if I should try to get a macbook as well. I have my Mac Pro at home.

Jeremy I know you do man...

Quick Reply: Well, it's official...