Carolinas A Better Place to Be

Went car shopping

Old 09-10-2007, 05:02 AM
Community Organizer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Went car shopping

Ok... I went to the local dealerships late last week to look around. I didn't get photos of the two XLR-Vs or the new CTS. My bad.... Anyway, I did see these two which were worth mentioning. First, the Eclipse. IMO its a sad sad fat shadow of the car it used to be, but this year they have added some new body flair which I think does help its looks out some. Items I noticed included a new lip for the front bumper, Evo-esque rear wing, and new rear fascia. Performance wise, there was nothing extra listed on the window. Interesting though, I did notice that Mitsubishi has decided to do away with those blueish tinted turning bulbs and replace them with standard amber. Regardless, she is still heavy and torque steering all over the place:

This car was sold the day it showed up but the new owner is on vacation and hasn't picked it up yet. I think is a beautiful car... especially in white, but up close its just typical GM :

Old 09-10-2007, 06:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to disagree with you on the 'typical gm' comment with the sky. It's a fantastic little car. The redline will out accelerate an S and hang well in the twisties. If it wasn't for the horrible top design, it would be 'buy worthy' in my book.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:14 AM
Community Organizer

3 things that gets me Brian which is why I slap it with the "Typical GM"...

1. That top..
2. The interior plastics let you know that they ARE plastics
3. The hood wobbling issue

If the steering feel has been fixed from early 2006 models then its even better, if not.... it feels like driving a Pontiac G6.

Aside from that... yes it is a great offering. Sadly though it is IMO a little overpriced. That one had a sticker of just south of 30K.. it was listed at 29, xxx. For that amount of money, you could get......
Old 09-10-2007, 06:19 AM
Community Organizer

Interesting side note though. From what I have read recently, the Solstice sales have completely dropped off while the Sky is still in high demand. I can confirm this. At the Pontiac dealership there are 4 Solstices. 3 base and one GXP. 2 of them have been there since Christmas, one got there in early spring, and one mid summer. Saturn has a Sky on the lot for less than a week before they are sold. Actually, for the ones that I have seen there, half have been sold the day they arrive.

Also, FWIW... fit and finish is WAY up on the Sky from the Solstice.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sky has a Turbo'ed model????? How much HP and TRQ?
Old 09-10-2007, 07:46 AM
Community Organizer

260/260 as does the Solstice in GXP form.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A co-worker just sold her RX-8 for a Sky (base). She likes driving sports/sporty cars, but not necessarily in a sporty manner.

Her (red) Sky is very sharp, especially with the top down. I haven't gotten a ride yet, but I like it from a distance. Can't comment on the fit-n-finish.

However, I have to agree, the top is always going to be a deal breaker for me.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:33 AM

Received 197 Likes on 137 Posts

I went and looked for a Solstice or Sky a while back, but they were all autos.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:10 AM
Community Organizer

I can't remember if this one was auto or not. The guy finally picked it up yesterday though. As I was coming home from work he was pulling out of the dealership. Then I saw him again riding around town later in the afternoon as I was heading out to take some pictures.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get confused about the Solstice/Sky. Sometimes I see them and think they look ugly, but usually I like them (mostly because they're so different from anything GM usually makes).

The top, and how it opperates, will always be ugly though.

260 torques would be a wonderful thing. . .

Quick Reply: Went car shopping