The Corner House of Whores and Monkeys. Enter for Fun & Shenanigans! We're weird here. In the most awesome way possible.

Advice appreciated

Old 09-17-2018, 04:34 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Advice appreciated

Hello all,

I'm getting ready to submit my 2 weeks notice here at work and would like to see if any of you would be kind enough to provide some professional and life advice for me. I'm not asking for any sympathy or for anybody to empathize, but rather some insight from anybody who has gone through this situation before. This will be my first time going through this.

I've been at this job for about 8 years, and I'm currently 29 years old. I will be 30 in 2 weeks. I worked my way up from part time weekend work up to head of safety and compliance, head of our hazmat program, forklift trainer, and my main job is robot operator and technician. I am also in charge of metrics, data, and document control for my department. Ever since I started working here, I gave it 200% everyday and continued to do things outside of my paygrade and responsibilities. Despite the position I have attained, my official title is still a production associate. For the past 3 years, I have asked for more compensation and a change to my title due to the increased responsibilities I have gathered. The company has promised to alter my title and compensation to reflect my daily duties but despite perfect evaluations, they haven't followed through this entire time.

This all came to a boil when my situation was miscommunicated amongst higher management (I will spare you the details, but this was the straw that broke the camel's back), and made me want to consider my departure from here.

From a personal standpoint, the stress this job(s) has caused me has caused so much havoc on me emotionally, physically, mentally, and every which way. The fact that I give it my all and they dangle this promotion in front of me for years without following through made me feel like I'm not even worth it, even though I KNOW, and my peers know, that I am an asset and carry more than my weight around here. I wish I could give you all more details, but I dont want to make anybody read an essay or risk have somebody reading this.. I'm not happy coming into work, and I dread waking up every morning. I can't sleep, my anxiety is permanently bothering me, and the stress is causing me to break out in acne. I can feel the toll this place has taken on me and I'm scared of its long term effects.

I'm just scared to make this jump. I am in a position where I can take a few weeks off without work with not much financial issue due to family help and a little backup savings but I really feel like I need to move on for my own health. the only thing keeping me here are my teammates, friends, and the fact that it is still paying bills. I'm just not sure at what point do I say this isn't worth it anymore.

If anybody can relate.. has gone through this.. or can talk me through this I would really appreciate it. I know we are all going through this to some degree, but I just need some unbiased help.

Thank you everybody.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:53 AM

Received 1,140 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Although I can't relate to being unappreciated/unrewarded for my work to the degree that you are experiencing, I can definitely identify with being at an unhealthy job for too long that results in physical and emotional symptoms. I actually burnt out - full on depression, anxiety which made it impossible to function and forced me on sick leave for several weeks. Although I was making killer money in a city with a really low cost of living, it wasn't worth it. It sounds like a total cliche, but no amount of money was worth my health - if I died of a heart attack or became so depressed that I contemplated suicide, it wouldn't matter how much money I had.
I know what you mean about being afraid to change jobs: I quit that killer paying job, packed all my stuff into the Si and drove to the west coast for a part time job that paid $10/hr less. I was terrified - I had some savings, but I also had a mortgage back in Ontario. (I was fortunate at that time not to be restricted by a partner/kids.) Five years later I'm still making $20k less a year than back east, but I'm in a much better place emotionally, love my job and the agency I work for and there is nothing anyone could say to convince me to go back to that old job. My quality of life is amazing and friends back east completely understand why I did what I did. Looking back I knew I was at a point where it was "make or break" - if I stayed at that job I'd be a shell of a person. If you're a reader, consider reading Gabor Mate's "When the Body Says No." There are many people's stories in there that resonated with me and perhaps you too.
The following users liked this post:
The Prophet. (09-17-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by shareall
Although I can't relate to being unappreciated/unrewarded for my work to the degree that you are experiencing, I can definitely identify with being at an unhealthy job for too long that results in physical and emotional symptoms. I actually burnt out - full on depression, anxiety which made it impossible to function and forced me on sick leave for several weeks. Although I was making killer money in a city with a really low cost of living, it wasn't worth it. It sounds like a total cliche, but no amount of money was worth my health - if I died of a heart attack or became so depressed that I contemplated suicide, it wouldn't matter how much money I had.
I know what you mean about being afraid to change jobs: I quit that killer paying job, packed all my stuff into the Si and drove to the west coast for a part time job that paid $10/hr less. I was terrified - I had some savings, but I also had a mortgage back in Ontario. (I was fortunate at that time not to be restricted by a partner/kids.) Five years later I'm still making $20k less a year than back east, but I'm in a much better place emotionally, love my job and the agency I work for and there is nothing anyone could say to convince me to go back to that old job. My quality of life is amazing and friends back east completely understand why I did what I did. Looking back I knew I was at a point where it was "make or break" - if I stayed at that job I'd be a shell of a person. If you're a reader, consider reading Gabor Mate's "When the Body Says No." There are many people's stories in there that resonated with me and perhaps you too.
Thanks for your insight and advice, I really appreciate it. When you mentioned getting burned out and the physical toll it took, I'm actually there right now. The depression, anxiety, sleeping problems, weight loss, and hair loss has all hit me like a freight train in the past year or so and I just don't know anymore. I don't even look my age anymore, and it sucks how everybody points it out.

Good to hear everything worked out for you, that's a hell of a gutsy move on your part - I think I just need to do what you did and just pull the trigger as well. Thanks again, I needed to read that, and yes, I am a reader. During this situation I've come across a few books others have recommended which will greatly help this transition.

Sorry if this was posted in this section as opposed to the regular off topic... I lurk "the corner" quite often and although I don't personally know anybody, it seems as if most of the regulars here are a lot more personable and real than in other subforums haha.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:34 AM

Received 1,128 Likes on 991 Posts

Hopefully you have some marketable skills. "Production Associate" is typically a euphemism for unskilled labor.

Don't jump without the parachute. Have a concrete job offer in writing including salary/wage. Suck it up until you get one. Leave regardless of any matching offers you get. You've already demonstrated your disloyalty and the company will be shopping for your replacement even if you stay.

-- Chuck
Old 09-17-2018, 09:28 AM

Thanks for the advice Chuck. That is probably the main reason I want to leave. When we got bought out by a new big fish, my title changed from a technical title that reflected robotics to production associate... which really kills me due to what that title implies.

But as far as disloyalty, I'm not sure where you got that from as the entire time I've handled this issue I haven't demonstrated any negativity towards them. The miscommunication I discussed was due to higher ups not communicating amongst themselves on how to resolve my situation, nothing really involved me. I've always approached them respectfully and with caution for the sole purpose of never giving them a hint as to how I'm thinking.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:44 AM

Received 1,102 Likes on 986 Posts

Old 09-17-2018, 10:31 AM

Received 1,140 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by The Prophet.
Thanks for your insight and advice, I really appreciate it. When you mentioned getting burned out and the physical toll it took, I'm actually there right now. The depression, anxiety, sleeping problems, weight loss, and hair loss has all hit me like a freight train in the past year or so and I just don't know anymore. I don't even look my age anymore, and it sucks how everybody points it out.

Good to hear everything worked out for you, that's a hell of a gutsy move on your part - I think I just need to do what you did and just pull the trigger as well. Thanks again, I needed to read that, and yes, I am a reader. During this situation I've come across a few books others have recommended which will greatly help this transition.

Sorry if this was posted in this section as opposed to the regular off topic... I lurk "the corner" quite often and although I don't personally know anybody, it seems as if most of the regulars here are a lot more personable and real than in other subforums haha.
Oh we can be assholes in here (mostly the guys ), but otherwise we're pretty cool.

I was super scared about the move, but even more scared of what that job would do to me if I stayed (literally, literally) another minute. I was on anti-depressants/anti-anxiety meds for about a year, which gave me time to sort out more clearly how I got myself into that situation to begin with. (I'm in social work and there's always talk about self-care, but it's harder to actually carry out.) I realized I'd been so focused on material things and wasn't honest with myself about why and how that impacted my self-care. Not saying it was an easy or short journey, but it was definitely worth it. :cheesy: I could go on all day but I'll spare you.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:39 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't leave until you have a new gig and a start date.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:44 AM

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,418 Posts

So, on top of Shareall's excellent saga (and it was excellent; many of us were along for the whole ride those years ) . . . I'll say I've been in the opposite situation. I love my job, get paid well (enough) and do "alright." That said, there is no loyalty in the workplace now. If you have loyalty, it can be a blinder or outright hinderance to your well-being (fiscal, physical, or mental).

I'd shop around, and yes, as was stated above, it's easier to get a job when you have a job. Look around: you owe your current employer nothing, and you have everything to gain. I will say though, in the meantime, take care of yourself: get that sleep, make time to exercise, and remember that a lot of what's going on is your body reacting to stress (as Shareall said); if you can get your head above that while your body is in the middle of it, you may be able to cope just a little bit better.
The following 2 users liked this post by UnkieTrunkie:
shareall (09-17-2018), The Prophet. (09-17-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 10:54 AM

Received 1,102 Likes on 986 Posts

-is an asshole. Sometimes. But I always look out for my friends.
The following 2 users liked this post by zdave87:
shareall (09-17-2018), The Prophet. (09-17-2018)

Quick Reply: Advice appreciated