The Corner House of Whores and Monkeys. Enter for Fun & Shenanigans! We're weird here. In the most awesome way possible.

Project Silver Streak - Round 4

Old 10-22-2003, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Project Silver Streak - Round 4

Well, some of my UTI friends have been helping me with my S2000, so things are getting installed fast. I got my KONI coil-overs in, as well as the anti-roll bars, X-brace, and tie-rods. The Spoon calipers are in, with a new compound of Pagid pads (which squeal horribly, but bite instantly), and they look absolutely gorgeous behind the Spoon wheels - the calipers are blue-anodized. The brake lines are also in. The meaty Yokohama tires are mounted, and they tuck in neatly behind the fenders. My car is slammed.

The KONI's are 7-way adjustable for both rebound and compression. I have them set to #5 all around, and even at that, the ride is bone-jarringly stiff. It took a whole day to get them installed. It turns out the ends of the dampers had a different size eyelet than stock, so we had to pull the new Urethane bushings, shave down the inner diameter a bit, then press them back in. Only a minor setback, though.

As for the engine, she still purrs... like a 300-pound leopard. With the instantaneous throttle response, it's fun to roll to 30mph in 1st gear, then engage the cruise control.
Old 10-22-2003, 01:42 PM

As for the "Round 4" thing, I just ordered some of Spoon's racing valve springs. With my hi-lift cams, and a thinner head gasket, I only have about 0.013" of clearance from the piston head and the valve. And with the long duration, the valve is at the bottom (or top, depending on which way you look at it) of its stroke at TDC. So, to make sure I never float the valves, and shatter a piston, I'm going with Spoon's stiffer, high tensile-strength valve springs. I also ordered TODA's adjustable cam sprockets. I plan on doing some fine tuning on the UTI dyno soon.

Also from TODA, I ordered a sports clutch disc, and from Spoon, a baffled oil pan, some high-flow injectors, and their cross-drilled brake rotors.

My exhaust right now is a Neuspeed cat-back with N1 mufflers, but it's way too loud and ricey for me. I ordered the Mugen sports exhaust system, complete from the header back. Hopefully, it'll give me the nice throaty bass note I'm looking for, but without the BZZZZ, like with a fart can.

I'm looking to have them installed in the next 2 weekends. I'm really not looking forward dropping my tranny again. Tearing down my head again, I can live with, but without a proper tranny jack, installing the new clutch disc is going to be a bitch. Oh well, that's what my wrench monkeys are for.
Old 10-22-2003, 01:43 PM

And last, but not least, I've been looking at TODA's 13.0:1 pistons, and Spoon's 1.5-way LSD.

What do you think Wickster? Spoon also has pistons for the F20C, but the TODA's are a lot cheaper. I don't know if there's enough deck clearance for the valves though. The TODA ITB setup is finally priced, but it's still a bit expensive. What else is there to do, other than dyno tuning?
Old 10-22-2003, 01:49 PM

Received 72 Likes on 61 Posts

jeez, alex I'm jealous

I really want to hear about those sprockets ---> I'll be ordering a set soon for my cams

Call Toda and ask about clearance, I'm sure you'll be fine. The pistons will work with the Toda cams and they have more lift ( I think), You can still raise compression and have enough relief for the balbe no problem....
Old 10-22-2003, 01:53 PM

about the ITB's -

consider you've upped your whp about 40, how much have you spent so far?

then consider you'll spend about 3000-3500 for the ITB's and you'll need an EMS or something like it to tune with.

now consider you'll probably make 20 hp off the ITB's and maybe a lot more. I don't see why this setup couldn't make 260-280 whp...
Old 10-22-2003, 01:55 PM

I'm surprised you chose the Mugen catback. I'd have gone Amuse...... it is louder though... have you heard the R1000? that is the holy grail to me, but undriveable on the streets I think...
Old 10-22-2003, 01:56 PM

the koni's - you changed bushings also? I bet that's a lot of your stiffness right there
Old 10-22-2003, 01:58 PM

OK, on the engine side, I have headers, full exhaust, CAI, high-flow injectors, and baffled oil pan. Also, cams with adjustable sprockets, valve springs, larger throttle body, thinner head gasket. TODA makes the pricey ITB setup, as well as a 2.2L stroker, but I really don't want the latter. Both Spoon and TODA make high-compression pistons. At the extreme end, I could possibly overbore by 0.080" (2mm) which'll give me roughly 2092cc. Combine that with the ~8.5mm stroker from TODA, and that's about 2300cc. Whadya think?

In the tranny, there's a sports clutch disc and lightened flywheel. I could get a pressure plate, but I'm really looking into the LSD.

And for suspension, I have adjustable race coil-overs, anti-roll bars, X-brace, tie-rods, and Urethane bushings. The only thing left really, is a front strut tower brace, but it's not really needed, IMO.

I have full brakes: Front calipers, and steel-braided hoses, cross-drilled rotors and pads all around.
Old 10-22-2003, 02:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn your car has got to scream!
Old 10-22-2003, 02:07 PM

Ya, the cam gears look sick in the TODA picture, it's ashame they'll be covered up. The duration is so long on the cams (especially on the intake side) that I'm afraid to put the cams too far off-time. I don't want the fuel mixture to ignite before it gets to TDC; it would be trying to push the piston in the opposite direction!

You don't even wanna know what kind of money I've spent for that 241rwhp. Your comparison makes perfect sense according to the numbers. Based purely on the numbers, the whp/dollar ratio of the ITB setup is much more affordable than the parts I've already installed. The only reason I'm hesitant is because that ~$3000 is for a single part. Not to mention all the money I'm gonna have to spend to tune the damn thing!

Anyway, we'll see. I wanna wait for others to install them first... See what they have to say.

About exhaust, I really hate the loud exhausts. The Spoon's aren't too terribly loud, but I have two mufflers whereas they were designed for a single exhaust setup. Even still, I can hear my intake and valvetrain over the exhaust, but I think the loud exhausts (especially the buzzy ones that sound like weedeaters) to be too ricey and obnoxious.

From what I've heard, the Mugen is the best for a tuned all-motor engine, and they have the best not-so-loud sound. Iunno.

Heck ya there's a lot of stiffness! Body roll is literally non-existant. The ride is so stiff I almost regret replacing the perfectly good stock pieces.

Quick Reply: Project Silver Streak - Round 4