Delaware Valley S2000 Members Delaware, Eastern PA (Philly)Southern New Jersey

Philadelphia Cheese steak

Old 11-08-2005, 07:00 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Zippy,Nov 8 2005, 08:06 AM
I am partial to Jim's at 5th and South.
We took an out of town guest there this past Saturday night! It usually gets my vote to go with out of towners because you get the whole South Street experience as well.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, LOVE park is right next to City Hall on 16th Street, but skateboarding is not permitted there. And there is normally a visible police presence there at LOVE park to dissuade potential skaters.

Maybe he meant FDR Skate Park? He sould definitely check out FDR if you have time. It's a pretty much world-famous skate park in South Philly:
http://www.fdrskatepark.org/
http://www.sas.upenn.edu/~blathrop/fdr1.html

Andrew
Old 11-08-2005, 04:34 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Thanks for the info. I think my son, Andrew, said that the X games had been in Love Park a few years ago. He did know that skateboarding is not allowed there anymore. He read this thread a little while ago, and is familiar with FDR.

Anyway, thanks for the info. We'll be in Philadelphia on Saturday. I can't wait for my Cheese steak.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:40 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zippy,Nov 8 2005, 09:06 AM
I am partial to Jim's at 5th and South.
me to, but you really have to plan that trip out...the last few times i went i waited for over 30minutes, but its worth it...Main problem with Jims is the parking...

Genos is great, Tony Lukes is also very good
Old 11-08-2005, 07:02 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey,

My wife and i agree that Jim's on South Street is by far the supreme cheesesteak to eat. If you go on a Saturday, the wait is over an hour. it is well worth the wait.
Larry
Old 11-12-2005, 04:15 PM

We got into the hotel in Cherry Hill at about 7:30 on Friday evening, checked in and decided to head into Philadelphia for our cheese steak sandwich. I set the GPS for Passyunk and 9th and we were on our way.

In a little while we found ourselves in South Philly. We parked about two blocks away from Pat's and Geno's and headed over. My son had heard about Geno's from his friends so we decided to try it. The cheese steak sandwiches were very good as were the cheese fries. The woman behind the counter laughed as we asked so many questions, it was obvious that we were tourists from Northern Jersey. She gave us 4 official Geno's pens. The man next to her, cooking the sandwiches gave me a lesson in how to properly pronounce the street name Passyunk. We had a great time and enjoyed the meal except that we were freezing cold. As soon as we got back into the car we put the heat on high.

We spent the next hour driving around South Philly admiring the houses and architecture. We loved the row houses and how well kept everything seems to be. We are native New Yorkers and unfortunately, New York doesn't have anything as charming as the row houses in South Philly except maybe for Greenwich Village.

We drove up to Society Hill and looked around. In the 70s I used to buy fabric from some jobbers who had their warehouses in the area. It was a nice area then, but now it's just magnificent. We enjoyed looking around.

The next morning we went to Temple University for the open house. Liz and I were very impressed with it. Both of us went to urban schools (Liz went to New York University and I went to the City University of New York) so we were very comfortable there. Our son Andrew liked the school and now his decision is even more difficult. If he is accepted to all of the schools that he applied to, it will be real hard to make up his mind. There is a good possibility that he will pick Temple.

After the open house, we went downtown to see the Liberty Bell. Our youngest son wanted to see it. We parked on Walnut and walked around. Once again, we admired the row houses and Philadelphia in general. The Liberty Bell was ok, but I'm not sure it was worth the 45 minute wait. Security is real tight. We even had to take off our belts and go through scanners.

We had a nice weekend, and I want to thank all of you who offered advice on the cheese steak sandwiches. Thank you again. Philadelphia is a great town.
Old 11-12-2005, 06:41 PM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Rob, Liz, Andrew, Adam-

Sorry that we missed y'all.....would have loved to meet up. OTOH, we were pretty exhausted last night with car repairs etc (the VW) and today saw a quick trip to Gettysburg to shut down our cottage for the winter.... I'm also still under the weather with a post-NZ headcold and other yucky stuff.

Give some advance notice if you come thru Philly again on the college rebound. Temple would be a good choice...
Old 11-12-2005, 06:45 PM

Jerry,

I was going to call you, but I figured that returning from NZ so recently would have you in jet lag. I imagine both of you must be exhausted.

I'm sure we'll be back again. We'll get together. Where is your community in relation to Temple?
Old 11-12-2005, 07:01 PM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ralper,Nov 12 2005, 10:45 PM
....I'm sure we'll be back again. We'll get together. Where is your community in relation to Temple?
Acc to mapquest , Narberth is 8 miles almost due west of Temple Main Campus (Broad St & Montgomery Ave). 21 minutes driving time.

Habitat Philadelphia's headquarters is only a few blocks away from Temple. Temple has an excellent college radio station in WRTI- fm 90.1 (jazz from 6 pm to 6 am/ classical from 6 am to 6 pm). I listen to it all the time
Old 11-14-2005, 08:52 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Great recap Rob from a nice visit to the town some of us

Quick Reply: Philadelphia Cheese steak