Dinner and a Movie Discuss your favorite movies foods, restaurants and recipies.

The Manga Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 07:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Alright guys, Karate Shoukoushi Kohinata Minaru is pretty damn good! It has some great characters (especially Saizu) and is just hilarious. There are really good fights however, the comedy shines in this manga. One of the cool things is, that it involves an organization called King of Strikers, which is essentially K1, with televised fights, grand prixs, and foreign fighters. There are numerous famous K1 fighters drawn in, but obviously don't have the same name. So that's pretty cool to see while reading this manga.

I think this one may have been under the radar, so hopefully some of you guys give it a try, it's worth it. Here is the synopsis:

Kohinata Minoru is a college student at a college that is popular for its sports rather than academic orientation. Although he starts out as a gymnast alongside his friend, Nana, Minoru is bullied by the higher ranked gymnasts. One evening, a karate student at the college, Mutou Ryuuji, witnesses Minoru being bullied and comes to the rescue... but his intentions are not to save Minoru, but to drag him into the world of karate.
Old 09-19-2016, 05:32 AM

Finished up, or at least caught up to current on Karate Shoukoushi Kohinata Minoru. This manga was highly entertaining and very similar to the feel and flow of Hajime no Ippo. This one also seems like it can go on for quite a while like Hajime no Ippo. The main characters are still early in their pro careers, but seem to be getting into their prime as fighters. I'm looking forward to this series releasing more chapters for years to come. I'll have to be sure to keep checking in for new chapters from time to time. This manga ranks up there with my favorites.

Time to search for something new to start!
Old 09-19-2016, 08:40 AM

Since I have been reading the "combat sports" variety as of late, I stumbled upon Garouden (Ga-rou-den) by Yumemakura Baku (Story) and Itagaki Keisuke (Art). I'm sure some of you recognized who the artwork is by. The very mangaka that created Grappler Baki! With the same artwork being done, it's almost as if I am reading another version of Baki, based off an entirely different character in a different universe from Baki.

Only 7 chapters in, but it is already very entertaining. If you are a fan of the Grappler Baki series by Itagaki, then you should also get into reading Garouden too. Very similar feel, it's great.
Old 09-21-2016, 04:22 AM

Quick update on Garouden

The story is pretty straight forward and pretty much all fighting. The main character, Bushichi Tanba, is good. He has a beast mode that he can tap in to when he is pushed to his limit. It's not any type of super power of anything, just something akin to human nature's animal instinct kicking in.

I love Itagaki's artwork, it is a bit exaggerated at times but fits with this genre. Once I get through Garouden and it's prequel and sequel, I kind of want to go back and read Grappler Baki again. IMO, the Baki series is superior to Garouden. Itagaki as the artist and writer is just better than Yumemakura Baku. Still a good, entertaining read, but so far it is a level below the Grappler Baki series.
Old 09-28-2016, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by Grilla
I love samurai films, so I'd have to recommend Lone Wolf and Cub manga. If you're a fan of the movies, the manga is just more of the same. However, my ultimate recommendation is Shigurui. It's such a great deconstruction of the "bushido code" and how much we romanticize it. It's awesome how it paints a messier reality of samurai feudal culture just like GRRM's A Song of Ice and Fire paints medieval knight fantasy.
I got into reading Shigurui and it is very good. I am about 3/4 of the way through the series and it has been a great story. There are some similarities to Seigen and Gennosuke, with Sasuke Kojiro and Miyamoto Mushashi. It is a very good period piece and does a great job of showing how harsh the era can be and how grueling some schools were towards it's students. The fight scenes have been incredible and the manga-ka does a wonderful job of illustrating the intensity, technique, and brutality of a fight to the death. I should finish the story soon and I hope to find the outcome I am anticipating at the end.
Old 09-28-2016, 08:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by North Star
I got into reading Shigurui and it is very good. I am about 3/4 of the way through the series and it has been a great story. There are some similarities to Seigen and Gennosuke, with Sasuke Kojiro and Miyamoto Mushashi. It is a very good period piece and does a great job of showing how harsh the era can be and how grueling some schools were towards it's students. The fight scenes have been incredible and the manga-ka does a wonderful job of illustrating the intensity, technique, and brutality of a fight to the death. I should finish the story soon and I hope to find the outcome I am anticipating at the end.
Some of the tangents are crazy, but the main story/theme is good. I'm interested in your take on the ending and how it matches up to your expectations. Also, I'd have to look up those historical figures so thanks for that

Old 09-28-2016, 08:55 AM

I read and finished Shirugui by Yamaguchi Takayuki, and it was an excellent read. Taking place in 1629, a tournament was held by Tokugawa Tadanaga and the participants were to use real swords in each duel. This was essentially illegal, but being the younger brother of the shogun, Tadanaga was known as a cruel lord and he held this tournament to satisfy his insatiable bloodlust. The main story revolves around two combatants, Irako Seigen and Fujiki Gennosuke. These two are among the greatest swordsmen of the era and this Shakespearian tale did not disappoint. There are no feel good moments in this story and shows how dark and brutal the era could be.

The sword fights throughout the series were very well done. Manga-ka Yamaguchi did an excellent job of illustrating the fights, people, and environment, and truly places you in the setting of post-feudal Japan. I would recommend this to those of you that love the Sengoku era pieces and samurai stories in general. I would put this story and series up there with Lone Wolf and Cub, as it very well done and absolutely serious in sticking to historical dialogue and structure. It was a fascinating couple days worth of reading.

Originally Posted by Grilla
Originally Posted by North Star' timestamp='1475066908' post='24071583
Some of the tangents are crazy, but the main story/theme is good. I'm interested in your take on the ending and how it matches up to your expectations. Also, I'd have to look up those historical figures so thanks for that
Man, that ending! I went through a rollercoaster of emotions reading that final chapter. I guess I could say it went as I had hoped, and then destroyed all joy in the next couple pages. It was an awesome read.
Old 09-28-2016, 08:59 AM

Oh and Grilla, you would probably like Sidooh and Vagabond if you want to read up on some more samurai manga of that era. Although Vagabond is the story of Miyamoto Musashi, it is a bit different from the historical references that I indicated in the previous post. The references I were pointing out was from the story of Musashi written by Yoshikawa Eiji, and is in novel form.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the recommendations, North Star. All I can offer you is my favorite Hokuto no Ken GIF:

https://i.imgur.com/q34jpHM.gifv
Old 10-06-2016, 11:53 AM

Just finished up all the available chapters for a post apocalypse manga called 7 Seeds, by Tamura Yuki. Here is the synopsis:

Scientists had predicted this disaster, and in response, the leaders of every country met to develop a plan for human survival before the meteor hit. The Seven Seeds project was developed out of this meeting. Each country froze a number of young healthy people, which allowed them to survive the meteor. After the computer determined that Earth was once again safe for human life, it released them into the world. The Japanese government created five groups of survivors: Winter group, Spring group, Summer group A, Summer group B, and Fall group. Each group consisted of seven members and one guide. The guide carried small tubes of poison on their necks to allow them to end their lives if their situation became unbearable. The Japanese government prepared seven Fuji as refuges for the groups. In each Fuji, the group would find seeds and numerous books instructing them on survival in the wilderness.
The story was very well done and I hope that more chapters are uploaded soon. The story paints a very interesting picture of Japan a few decades in the future are the Earth was decimated by a meteor shower. There are some really great characters and side stories during the manga, but it does a great job of tying everything together into the main plot. This has been one of the best post apocalyptic mangas I have read and would definitely recommend it if that is a genre you're looking for. The story was at a really great place before it stopped, so hopefully I can find out what happens next soon.

Quick Reply: The Manga Thread